ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-17-2022   #31
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Default Re: Another CHMSL LED Conversion

Since this is LED related discussion, I have encountered a hiccup in my install of the rear four tail lamps. I used Zevo 1157R and they light up great. Problem is they will not indicate a turn signal. It is just a solid state of being on for whatever side is being used to signal. Swapped in old bulbs to make sure it was not the switch that had coincidentally gone south and sure enough they blink.

Hazard flashers on and the LED tail lamps do flash. So is this the case of a required relay to make them play nice when using the turn signal switch? Both hazards and turn signals use a flasher buried in the dash but find it weird the signal flasher is not cooperating like the hazard flasher does.

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 01-17-2022 at 05:12 PM.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022   #32
Subfixer

You need a solid state flasher. You can get it at any parts store. Hard part is replacing it under the dash.....
Standard Flashers work on current to heat up a bimetal strip which causes the flashing. As the strip heats and cools, it makes the lights flash. LEDs do not draw much current, so the signal lights won't flash. The hazard lights flasher is working because all 4 tails and both front provide enough current for it to work.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1992 ZR1 #442, 2 tops, White, White, Haibeck 415, 3.90 gear, Coilovers
2018 Audi RS5, 2.9 V6 Twin Turbo, Auto, Black, Black
2021 Audi Q3, 2.0T, 8 spd Tiptronic, Navarro Blue metallic, Pearl Beige

Last edited by Subfixer; 01-17-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Subfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022   #33
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Since this is LED related discussion, I have encountered a hiccup in my install of the rear four tail lamps. I used Zevo 1157R and they light up great. Problem is they will not indicate a turn signal. It is just a solid state of being on for whatever side is being used to signal. Swapped in old bulbs to make sure it was not the switch that had coincidentally gone south and sure enough they blink.

Hazard flashers on and the LED tail lamps do flash. So is this the case of a required relay to make them play nice when using the turn signal switch? Both hazards and turn signals use a flasher buried in the dash but find it weird the signal flasher is not cooperating like the hazard flasher does.
I am using Zevo 1157R also. Replace flasher with LED type and blinker will work.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022   #34
tf95ZR1

About electronic flasher:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-needed.html

Install:
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....hlight=flasher
1995 ZR-1 #106 Blk/ Blk
Owned by me since 2000.
93K miles, but not on motor :-)
Mods the way I want it,
Not afraid to drive it!
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022   #35
-=Jeff=-

Quote:

Turn signal Flasher is separate form Hazard, like it was stated an electronic flasher for the turn signals will work, I swap both flashers in my car for electronic

Hazard flaster is on the passenger side of the car under the dash
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022   #36
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Thanks, all. I got my new LED flasher and installed it and the rear lamps signal properly. Loving the reduction in amps pulled. Wondering if I should just go full LED up front as well to match the CHMSL and the four brake lights. Any recommendations for brands to use for side markers and fronts? Looks like I will need a new hazard flasher if the fronts are replaced.
Old 01-18-2022   #37
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Thanks, all. I got my new LED flasher and installed it and the rear lamps signal properly. Loving the reduction in amps pulled. Wondering if I should just go full LED up front as well to match the CHMSL and the four brake lights. Any recommendations for brands to use for side markers and fronts? Looks like I will need a new hazard flasher if the fronts are replaced.
I believe the 91 is the same as the 1990.. you may run into issues doing that due to voltage direction on the side bulbs along with grounding
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022   #38
Andy

Paul Workman wrote a multi part how-to for the HoTB. Issue 51, or there abouts. They cover most of your questions.
1990 black on black #1042 - sadly - sold
1993 Ruby #140 - stock
1991 QB #1608 - heads and top end ported, Watson headers, B&B 3"exhaust, Haibeck chip, 4.10 gears
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022   #39
aafc

I was looking at my runs on you tube at Orlando Speed World Jan. 9 ,2022.
that is when i noticed that my CHMSL had a light burned out. Ordered the
light bar (2) to a package, installation was time consuming because of the
roll bar in the car and I don't bend as easy as I use to do. But I got it
installed without too much trouble. (hint if you can't bend get someone who
is more agile to help you).My wife saw the new light and said that it looks a
lot better.
John
1990 black/white # 2546
one of a few 4l8OE EQ ZR-1's
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022   #40
1991 Corvette ZR-1

I have officially gone off the LED deep end. Decided to try under hood LED lights to replace the factory bulbs. I found some that are 640 lumens each and boy is it a world of lighting difference. Now I know these are nothing new but I am guilty of loving ZR-1s a little too much. I like to keep my hood open and look at the LT5 more than I care to say but lets just say I would have a dead battery many times over if I kept everything factory.

So I wired in a switch off the orange wire going to the under hood fuse. I tucked it inside the front crash impact pad so it is safe from water during rain or car washing days. Came out pretty well for a clean install I think. Here is the link if anyone wants to give them a try. Not bad for $11 or so.

On the pics and I am sorry they are lopsided, the forum for whatever reason rotates them when uploading. One of the pictures I covered the LED with my hand to show the stock bulb brightness. The other pictures with both LEDs in, the lights in the garage are off. That is all LED light in the pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JQ...b_b_prod_image

Last edited by 1991 Corvette ZR-1; 02-23-2024 at 10:34 PM.