ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-08-2008   #1
Arctic91

Default Euro/Amber Taillight Conversions

I may be transferred overseas this summer (totally not expecting to move again for a couple years, but that's the way of the military). Luckily, it's Australia not Afghanistan. Looking at the motor vehicle code, I need to have at least one red stoplamp and one amber turn signal on each side of the rear. I see two options:

1. Get the bubble lens kits that attach over the OEM lenses with acrylic tape ($60 from Eckler's). I'm not sure if I can simply slap these on and meet the code or if I need to modify the wiring so that the amber lamp doesn't come on when the lights are on andwhen braking - only when indicating a turn.

2. Perform the full euro conversion on at least two of the lamps and modify the harness ($109 per lamp and $179 for the conversion harness from Eckler's). This would also involve a little cutting and splicing.

Anyone have experience with either of these products, especially our friends overseas? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

'95 Callaway SNAT 450 Aerobody Coupe - Black/Black
'92 Callaway SNAT 400 Convertible - Polo Green/Beige
'91 ZR-1 #1231 - Arctic White/Saddle (SOLD)
'90 ZR-1 #2547 - Turquoise Metallic/Black
'89 Callaway Twin Turbo Aerobody Coupe #027 - Black/Black
'85 Corvette 454 Coupe - White/Red
Arctic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #2
Z Factor

Default Re: Euro/Amber Taillight Conversions

I have no clue, but it dawns on me that you might be able to look into an exemption.
There are vehicles over here that do not meet DOT or other requirements, but they are allowed to be imported into the country. Again, I have no knowledge of what the owner applies for, but I'd look down that road before making a conversion.

BTW- Oz sounds like a fun place to be stuck in for a few years.

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #3
Arctic91

Thanks for the reply... I probably should give my sponsor a call and see just how strict they are going to be with the inspections. Sounded to me like they will allow us to import duty free and temporarily waive the compliance for RHD and a few other things as part of the Status of Forces Agreement, but we have to submit to a yearly inspection for "roadworthyness" - that's were I may run into a snag.

I do know that typical changes that need to be made for the LHD imports include readjusting the headlights so we don't blind the poor folks driving on "the wrong side of the road" and swapping the convex passenger side mirror to flat glass. No biggie there - I just don't want to hack into the wiring any more than absolutely necessary.

As far as Australia goes, we're looking forward to the adventure - the kids are the right ages (7, 5 and 3) to remember it but not so old that we're busting up strong friendships. They're used to moving every few years, so that won't be new for them. Wish that we were going somewhere a little more civilized - Sydney would be perfect. We're going to be smack dab in the middle of the country (town is called Alice Springs; est population 30k) surrounded by nothing but desert. Small town living at it's finest. we heard the people are friendly and there's actually a lot to do in the area, so it should be a good time. We'll probably come back with accents though!!

Scott

Old 02-09-2008   #4
RedSled

I used to travel there a fair bit. Alice Springs is out there, but you will find Aussies to be amoung the most friendly people around. I've had more free meals and free beers offered to me in Australia for being no more than a nice bloke from the States. Wife and nine year old had a great time visiting last year. It's always a pain to move, but it's a great country.

- Keith '90 Red/Red #1383
RedSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #5
Jeffvette

Not much out in Alice Springs, although it's been a decade since I have been there.

On the lamps, do not buy the wiring harness, it's a sham. It's just some wire and some splicers to fit everything together. I do believe the bulk of the cost is the bulb holder. I run them on my car, and locobob has them on his as well. They look great and definitely make the car more visable.

Old 02-09-2008   #6
Arctic91

I appreciate the advice on the harness... I was definately going to buy that until I read your reply. Figured it would really simplify the install, but will now go without. How difficult was the conversion? I wouldn't think it's too difficult and the kits come with instructions, correct?

I noticed that you changed all four tails... can you just change the outer pair, or does that affect the operation? The rules call for "at least one" amber turn signal on each side...

Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2008   #7
petefias

I think having just the outside ones changed would look goofy. The half 'n halfs on all four look nice.
petefias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #8
Arctic91

I think you're right... I'm going to order the set of four. I was looking at Jeffvette and locobob's cars today in some of the pics fromm their gatherings and they look pretty nice. I'm not sure what they will look like on a white car, I think they look better on the darker colors (I think the amber is going to stand out more), but we'll see soon enough.