ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-27-2020   #1
JimBobTX

Default LT-5 motor issue

I took my 1990 ZR-1 out for a short ride about a week ago, after not having out for a month or so. I drove about 40 miles total to get get gas. The only gas I run in it is ethanol free 93 octane. On the entire trip the car seemed to be a bit sluggish but more so on the way home. My initial thoughts were that perhaps I had some condensation, or water, in the gas lines, so I then planned to check my fuel line filter for possible water.

When I cranked the car up a few days later the exhaust output was extremely white, which is the first time this had occurred. I then backed the car out of the garage to not fill the garage with smoke, but upon exiting the car it was obvious that the white exhaust was not oil but water. The white exhaust did clear about the time I got the car out of the garage. I could hear a distinctive tapping ( clicking sound) from under the car, which I had never heard before. I listened to the exhaust and also under the hood but could not hear the noise from ether the exhaust or under the hood. I pulled the car back in the garage and shut it down.

I assume that I have an internal engine problem. I have owned the car for almost 3 years and have put about 600 miles on it and it now has about 25,600 miles.

If anyone in the Houston Texas area has any recommendations of a shop where the mechanic might be familiar with these engines I would appreciate it. I do not plan to drive to a shop but will have it taken to the shop on a carrier tow truck.
Thanks
Jim Miller
(MillerJimL@yahoo.com)
(281-743-4021)
JimBobTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020   #2
Z51JEFF

Default Re: LT-5 motor issue

Corey Henderson is in Texas,very knowledgeable with ZR-1s.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020   #3
sleazy rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Corey Henderson is in Texas,very knowledgeable with ZR-1s.
cory is in new braunsful. steve schroder, crossed flags performance, is in magnolia. 832.748.1286
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020   #4
JimBobTX

Great suggestions, New Braunfels is about 160 miles and Magnolia is about 22 miles from my house, so I will give Steve a call tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2020   #5
Mikey

Sounds like coolant in the combustion chamber. Do you notice any milky appearance or light brown on the oil dipstick?
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020   #6
JimBobTX

That is exactly what I thought too, which is why I thought I had water in the fuel but the tapping noise under the car bothers me. I am glad not to hear anything directly at the engine under the hood or out the exhaust but the oil on the dipstick looks good, nothing milky, only oil. Oil still looks good, even though I could use a change, but it was only 400 miles ago I had it changed.
Old 12-27-2020   #7
Z51JEFF

Does the motor sound like it's got a miss? The cam chains and DM flywheel will make a racket if not wiring on all 8.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020   #8
JimBobTX

Actually the motor runs fine at an idle and was running good at low speeds and I could not hear any engine noise. It seemed to run just fine until I tried to accelerate that it seemed sluggish when I took it for a drive last week. I didn't try to drive once I saw the white exhaust discharge but there is not noticeable unusual engine noise from the engine bay.
Old 12-27-2020   #9
LGAFF

Injector housing bolts loose or gasket failure can pull coolant into the intake tract.
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020   #10
LGAFF

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?...gasket+failure
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17