ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-27-2020   #1
Corvette95

Default Headlamp motor issue after rebuild (and some rambling about clutch hydraulics)

First of all, most if not all the links in the solutions area to headlamp bushings and motors are dead links. I have rebuilt probably a dozen of my C4 motors over the years, typical bushings are dust. I rebuilt (well replaced the 3 bushings) on my 90, nothing unusual. Put them all back together both work fine, passenger side keep running after open and close, just like the bushings were bad. It will also not operate with the manual adjuster, but the adjust spins when they activate. So I took the lamp out today to check it out ( I have a new bushing set and a gear (gear is my best guess) but didn't have the correct size punch at the shop for the pin so the project is on hold until tomorrow). Question, what are possible causes for this problem?? I would think it wouldn't work with a broken gear, and more strange, why would it not rotate up or down with the knob? I don't think it is even possible to put the linkage in 180 out is there? Just working on a mental plan for tomorrow. I am on a mission to complete this car by the 31st to complete my year long restoration. ( I will post pics as promised when done). After this, all that is needed is the new exhaust installed, prom back from Marc H. New clutch master and slave and 91 stainless line went on today as well as bleeding the system, tried something new, attached a reservoir from my hand vacuum pump with the liquid line installed in the cup, clamped the lines on with spring clamps (to slave bleeder, liquid cup and air line, took shop air set to 30 psi and had the bleeder hand tight, attached air to the other end of the liquid cup and open the bleeder with the other hand, liquid quickly left the cup straight up to the clutch master cylinder. Closed the bleeder valve and checked the level a few times, making sure I did tilt the cup of let anything loose, full system fill within 10 minutes. Pumped the clutch (which seems to have full pressure on first pump) about 10-20 times at 80% travel.... done! Bam! I was dreading a problem with the bleeding. Oh yeah,,,any headlight tips...hoping it's just the gear.

Update it was the gear...fixed.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454

Last edited by Corvette95; 12-28-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote