ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-11-2019   #41
WARP TEN

Default Re: Amazing Results after Haibeck work on my 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Bet u still wish u had the 68 Hemi.
If I had a large garage space and reasonably unlimited funds, Yes I would like to have it. Hard to find ones in EE11 Dark Blue like the one I owned. But I owned it when it was fairly new (bought used from a friend's cousin with 10k miles on it), drove it to Southern California where I owned it for about 2 years. Was my only car there and lots of fun to see the teenagers pull up at a light and point and stare at the HEMI badge on the hood. Was without question one of the fastest cars of its day, at least in a straight line. Ran 13.5 @105 at Lions Dragway and had a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds according to Car & Driver. On Firestone Wide Ovals no less. So I got to use it the way it was intended, not just as a show car as it would be today. Ran out of money and had to wholesale it. Oh well. At least I don't miss having to adjust the valves every month or so....Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PlymouthHemiRoadRunner1968 (3).jpg (90.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg PlymouthHemiRoadRunner1968 (1).jpg (99.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PlymouthHemiRoadRunner1968 (2).jpg (67.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PlymouthHemiRoadRunner1968 (8).jpg (86.9 KB, 34 views)
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 03-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #42
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
If I had a large garage space and reasonably unlimited funds, Yes I would like to have it. Hard to find ones in EE11 Dark Blue. But I owned it when it was fairly new (bought used from a friend's cousin with 10k miles on it), drove it to Southern California where I owned it for about 2 years. Was my only car there and lots of fun to see the teenagers pull up at a light and point and stare at the HEMI badge on the hood. Was without question one of the fastest cars of its day, at least in a straight line. Ran 13.5 @105 at Lions Dragway and had a 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds according to Car & Driver. On Firestone Wide Ovals no less. So I got to use it the way it was intended, not just as a show car as it would be today. Ran out of money and had to wholesale it. Oh well. At least I don't miss having to adjust the valves every month or so....Bob
In 1968-69 that was my DREAM CAR!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019   #43
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
In 1968-69 that was my DREAM CAR!

Marty
Yeah Marty, me too, and it just dropped in my lap. A college friend's cousin wanted to sell the Roadrunner in 1969, having owned it less than a year, to make room in his garage for a Jaguar XKE (he had a fair bit of money as I recall but poor automotive judgement IMHO). My friend mentioned it to me, and I said lets go see it. It was in Rhode Island so we went the next weekend, driving from New York. It was stored in a small one car garage and due to the confines he said wait outside while he started it and backed it out. I was standing behind the car and when he started it with those glass pack mufflers I had goosebumps. It was the best sound in the world. We went for a test drive first with him driving, then I got to drive a bit. The thing I vividly remember is hitting the throttle in second gear and the entire front of the car seemed to raise up about a foot. With that wide flat hood it was like an aircraft carrier rearing up. And acceleration like I have never experienced. Had to have it. I begged, pleaded and crawled to my dad for a loan and he said OK. $2,000, a lot of money back then, but sticker on the one year old car was $3,800, with $800 for the Hemi package. Drove it from New York to California via Detroit with my mother (she actually drove it on the way to Detroit--stick shift/Hurst and no power steering or brakes). At one point on the NY State Thruway she passed a car going up a hill and said, "wow this car sure has a lot of power!" I looked at the speedo and she was going 95--had to tell her to slow down. It had two four barrel carburetors with a progressive linkage set so it ran 90% of the time on the back two barrels and the last half inch of throttle opened the other six for quite a surprise. On the level highway it got 13 mpg up against the stops. On the way to California I hit headwinds and had to dip into the front six. Mileage dropped to 8. Eventually paid off my loan but then had to sell it when I ran out of money. I waited until the only thing left in my fridge was a six pack of beer. I wanted to wait until I was down to one can, but I thought that would be pushing my luck. Anyway, big grins for a couple of years.

And oh by the way, sorry for hijacking the thread about Marc Haibeck's good works, which are always top notch. Off to have lunch with him tomorrow.--Bob
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member

Last edited by WARP TEN; 03-12-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2019   #44
Vette73

Quote:
Yeah Marty, me too, and it just dropped in my lap. A college friend's cousin wanted to sell the Roadrunner in 1969, having owned it less than a year, to make room in his garage for a Jaguar XKE (he had a fair bit of money as I recall but poor automotive judgement IMHO). My friend mentioned it to me, and I said lets go see it. It was in Rhode Island so we went the next weekend, driving from New York. It was stored in a small one car garage and due to the confines he said wait outside while he started it and backed it out. I was standing behind the car and when he started it with those glass pack mufflers I had goosebumps. It was the best sound in the world. We went for a test drive first with him driving, then I got to drive a bit. The thing I vividly remember is hitting the throttle in second gear and the entire front of the car seemed to raise up about a foot. With that wide flat hood it was like an aircraft carrier rearing up. And acceleration like I have never experienced. Had to have it. I begged, pleaded and crawled to my dad for a loan and he said OK. $2,000, a lot of money back then, but sticker on the one year old car was $3,800, with $800 for the Hemi package. Drove it from New York to California via Detroit with my mother (she actually drove it on the way to Detroit--stick shift/Hurst and no power steering or brakes). At one point on the NY State Thruway she passed a car going up a hill and said, "wow this car sure has a lot of power!" I looked at the speedo and she was going 95--had to tell her to slow down. It had two four barrel carburetors with a progressive linkage set so it ran 90% of the time on the back two barrels and the last half inch of throttle opened the other six for quite a surprise. On the level highway it got 13 mpg up against the stops. On the way to California I hit headwinds and had to dip into the front six. Mileage dropped to 8. Eventually paid off my loan but then had to sell it when I ran out of money. I waited until the only thing left in my fridge was a six pack of beer. I wanted to wait until I was down to one can, but I thought that would be pushing my luck. Anyway, big grins for a couple of years.

And oh by the way, sorry for hijacking the thread about Marc Haibeck's good works, which are always top notch. Off to have lunch with him tomorrow.--Bob
Wow great story......Yeah in today's market those motors bring a lot of money today...Who knew.....I'm guessing gas was around 35 cents a gallon back then?
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019   #45
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
Wow great story......Yeah in today's market those motors bring a lot of money today...Who knew.....I'm guessing gas was around 35 cents a gallon back then?
Yup, 35 cents is spot on.--Bob
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member

Last edited by WARP TEN; 03-14-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2019   #46
mcich7781

Quote:
Yup, 35 cents is spot on.--Bob
Dr. Haibeck worked his magic on the Green Monster this week. Absolute top notch tune on my car.
20190319_110506.jpg6490.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
mcich7781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019   #47
ABBEZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcich7781 View Post
Dr. Haibeck worked his magic on the Green Monster this week. Absolute top notch tune on my car.
Attachment 9284Attachment 9285

Can't wait, mine goes in shortly...I'm in Marc's "Q" waiting for some cars to clear out to go in for injectors and a tune...

Steve
1990 Bright Red/Black #946
B and B X-Pipe
Stainless Works Long Tube Headers
Cat delete
49th Street Rockers
Haibeck Chip and Tune
ABBEZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019   #48
JThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Bet u still wish u had the 68 Hemi.
Amen to that!
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019   #49
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
Wow great story......Yeah in today's market those motors bring a lot of money today...Who knew....
Not always. A good looking 1968 Hemi GTX just sold at Mecum Phoenix for about $60,000 including fees. It was an automatic, but claimed to be matching numbers. It looked pretty clean and accurate to me in pictures. So I would say if you want one there are some good ones out there for reasonable prices. May not be concours or historically significant but probably great local show drivers. --Bob
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member
Old 03-24-2019   #50
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcich7781 View Post
Attachment 9284Attachment 9285

Yep saw yours in his shop when I was down for lunch on Wednesday. It looked sharp! --Bob
--Sold a long time ago
NCM Lifetime Member