ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-14-2018   #11
mhobtr

Default Re: 90 Z cranks but will not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwood View Post
No. I bought a couple of the suggested fuel pumps and am sending to the local Vette mechanic to let him run the diagnostics. Would love to say I’m a DIY guy, but I don’t have that equipment. Or a garage, after the divorce. But, I still have my Z, so that’s something.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

If he replaces either or both pumps, tell him to make sure the back flow prevent valves are working. I have had two new Delphi pumps that I had to exchange because those valves were not working.

Also tell him to remove all of the plastic hose clamps and replace them with stainless steel clamps, properly tightened to prevent leaks.
mhobtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobtr View Post
If he replaces either or both pumps, tell him to make sure the back flow prevent valves are working. I have had two new Delphi pumps that I had to exchange because those valves were not working.

Also tell him to remove all of the plastic hose clamps and replace them with stainless steel clamps, properly tightened to prevent leaks.
Good advise...on BOTH counts. I installed new Airtec pumps and the check valve on one was bad out of the box. AND, the plastic clamps were brittle. Steel hose clamps - 7 years ago and counting!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018   #13
Reichert

I learned the importance of properly sized and tightened clamps the hard way: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29943

-Stephen 1990 #2288
1990 #2288
Reichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018   #14
TX '90 ZR1

While you are in the fuel tank I would suggest changing the plastic "Y" out with one of Carter's machined fittings. (Carter200)
25 year + plastic has a tendency to get brittle. Mine had a crack in it.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018   #15
cbaclawski

I don't think this is relevant to the situation described, but posting this for others that may be searching in the future.

After removing the plenum and changing the coils, I had the same problem. Car would crank and crank but not start.

After an embarrassingly long time troubleshooting, I noticed that the connecter plug to the Coil assembly had come unplugged during the plenum re-install. A long screwdriver to push the plug back in later, It fired right up.

Something worth the 10 sec it takes to check and potentially fix, just in case...

Curt
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Any updates? Hope you got it going. But, if not, anything those of us "standing around your car", drinkin a brew can suggest further?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018   #17
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobtr View Post
Quick check is to spray starting fluid in the throttle body and crank the engine. If it fires and stops, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't fire, you have an ignition problem.
Excellent and simple Diagnostic LOGIC

I have to put that in Solutions

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-26-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019   #18
Kwood

I do have an update. I went ahead and ordered fuel pumps from a link on the site, got the car and the pumps to my mechanic. He found that the hose and come off but the pumps themselves were fine. Hope that makes sense, I did not get any more details when I picked it up. He did replace the plastic clamps, as was suggested here. Great that there was decent weather here on Sunday and I got to get out and let the beast breathe. Thanks again everyone for the feedback! Great family to be in.

Kwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019   #19
dredgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwood View Post
I do have an update. I went ahead and ordered fuel pumps from a link on the site, got the car and the pumps to my mechanic. He found that the hose and come off but the pumps themselves were fine. Hope that makes sense, I did not get any more details when I picked it up. He did replace the plastic clamps, as was suggested here. Great that there was decent weather here on Sunday and I got to get out and let the beast breathe. Thanks again everyone for the feedback! Great family to be in.

Had the same issue with mine last year.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019   #20
mhobtr

That's great news.

The ZR1 dual pump setup is precarious.

When both pumps are running, and all in-tank hoses are tight, it works great. If a hose clamp comes loose, part of the pumped fuel will leak back into the tank resulting in lower fuel pressure at the injector manifold.

In a worse scenario such as yours, where the hose comes off, all of the pumped fuel just blows back into the tank resulting in little to no fuel pressure at the manifold.

The most aggravating to me was a bad check valve in the secondary pump. When the engine started, both pumps ran and everything seemed fine but when the secondary pump timed out and stopped pumping, the fuel from the primary pump had a path back into the tank, backwards through the secondary pump, resulting in very low pressure at the manifold. (Took me over an extra hour to get home because I kept "running out of gas". Had to coast to the shoulder, restart and then drive until the secondary pump timed out and I "ran out of gas" again. This created some very undesirable lean conditions).

A bad check valve in the primary pump will result in loss of fuel pressure at the manifold after the engine shuts down and slower starting because the system has to re-pressurize. But other than that, I don't think a bad check valve in the primary causes any other issues. So, if you have one pump with a bad check valve, and you don't have a replacement, install it on the primary. Or install a primary/secondary reverse wiring harness until you can get a proper repair. I keep one of these harnesses in my Z now.

Last edited by mhobtr; 01-02-2019 at 03:44 PM.
mhobtr is offline   Reply With Quote