ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-31-2018   #11
Meanmyz

Default Re: Thknkoabout selling my Z,is it a stretch to think I can get $30,000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
The market is what it is for our cars now.....I disagree that they will stay at the low prices they are now.
I agree with this statement. In my opinion, I think there has been more and more interest in our cars in just the last couple years. I quantify this by the increase in threads I have been seeing here and on CF about how "I finally got one", etc.

At this point, it isn't a major market shift, but I don't doubt that it will happen. In the meantime, it is only good for the long-term that still more ZR-1's are being dumped at low prices by people giving up on long term value. Most of the original owners bought these cars as investments and there is oversupply. This will change in time.

I try to give attention and driving time to all of my C4's, but with a driving season of six months here in MN, some get driven more than others. The one with the most driving time the last few years has been my newest toy, the Haibeck 350/510 HP '95. I have a low mile stock '94 that didn't even get driven last year, because I just ran out of time. In driving it again, I am reminded how much fun just the stock car is... I love the sound of the stock exhaust and just the overall flavor of a very nice stock car (I also love the modified one).

The point of all of this being that ZR-1's, modified or stock are a hell of alot of fun as far as the driving experience you get from them.

I find them alot more fun than many newer Corvettes. If everyone got the chance to drive a ZR-1, I don't think there would be a problem with lower values!
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018   #12
ZWILD1

Default Re: Thknkoabout selling my Z,is it a stretch to think I can get $30,000?

I replied to your thread on the other forum. I just bought a 91 510 Haibeck from a Minnesota owner who didn't put but 10K on the car since he had the package done. He no longer had storage for the car as he moved so I jumped on it. I had been watching the prices on cars to see many no sales on Ebay where I bought mine. Then on Cargurus to see many asking prices fall by several thousands of dollars from their original asking prices. So they are selling but usually not the price they started at.

To me the ZR1 really put Corvette back to the performance levels of the Chevrolet big block cars of the sixties. It's a very important car in the Corvette legacy. A stepping stone to the current models. It's pitfalls though have been the fact the LT5 wasn't a in house Chevrolet design and build. Something that didn't sit well with the Chevrolet Corvette team at GM. The other hold back has been Chevrolet didn't do more to distinguish the ZR1 from the regular production C4 base models. Something I think has influenced car collectors and buyers in general.

I bought my current car to enjoy the Corvette and the ZR1 experience. I would like to buy a LT4 car in the future. But having been in elementary school in the early seventies I feel the draw of say a 68-73 Corvette tugging hard. It's probably the same for the people who are buying those Trans Am cars. But since I wanted one in high school and ended up having several of them it's a been there done that. Not so with the ZR1 I guess I haven't gotten enough of them yet.
91 Turquoise Metallic Haibeck 525 #0134
ZWILD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018   #13
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZWILD1 View Post
It's pitfalls though have been the fact the LT5 wasn't a in house Chevrolet design and build. Something that didn't sit well with the Chevrolet Corvette team at GM.
I appreciate the input but this statement does not diminish the car one bit on any level. If somebody wanted to pick the car apart,the seats were made by LEAR,the wheels by ENKEI I think,the wheel bearing assemblies by another manufacturer etc. As far as the GM engineers go what little input they had in the design of the motor may just be its biggest set back,too in-depth to go into here.
I’ve followed ZR-1 development from the earliest days going back to around mid 1986 and I’ve never heard your statement about the -not in house-before now.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018   #14
Nacho_ZR1

I sold my Z a few years ago and miss it. Some days, I am on the fence about buying another one considering that so many cars nowadays make incredible HP/TQ and come with 5 year factory warranties. Dodge also announced a 1,000 HP / 950 TQ crate motor last week (https://jalopnik.com/mopar-brings-th...pla-1830114321) which looks amazing.

The Z is an incredible car and I was lucky to have been a part of the magic. I can see someone paying 30K for a Z since you can tell it has been maintained and taken care of and will easily go to 200K miles without needing major work.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]1992 ZR-1 #483
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Dark Red Metallic[/COLOR]
[U][B]Mods[/B][/U]
-Jeal headers
-Stock exhaust with X-pipe
-4.30 Gears
-Corey Henderson tune
-375 RWHP[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Nacho_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018   #15
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Jeff,
To answer your original question, No, I do not think that $30,000.00 is out of line for a well maintained fully functional, near flawless ZR-1.

If someone wants your colors where will they find better for less?
Plan on a one year sale cycle time, take 50 pictures, do a concise factual description, and take the time to follow up on each and every lead.

That said.
Better to simply keep it!
10 years from now $30k will seem like nothing, and you likely will feel like you let it get away.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018   #16
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Jeff,
To answer your original question, No, I do not think that $30,000.00 is out of line for a well maintained fully functional, near flawless ZR-1.

If someone wants your colors where will they find better for less?
Plan on a one year sale cycle time, take 50 pictures, do a concise factual description, and take the time to follow up on each and every lead.

That said.
Better to simply keep it!
10 years from now $30k will seem like nothing, and you likely will feel like you let it get away.

Marty
Thanks Marty,I’ve got well over $45,000 in my car and it’s not going anywhere. My plan was to sell 2 cars and build a very nice C1 but I just can’t see dumping my car to make it happen. And regardless of what some are saying,interest in C4s in general seem to be increasing.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018   #17
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
The market is what it is for our cars now.....I disagree that they will stay at the low prices they are now. 40 year old Trans Ams are selling for STUPID numbers now, and how many of those did Pontiac produce? We all know it wasn't 6900 units over 6 years. And those crazy numbers are for any 77-81 Trans Am. Not for a 4-speed, WS6, hardtop, 200 mile trailer queen that should bring those numbers. Sorry but our cars are way more special / unique......
I like most of you, watch Mecum and Barrett Jackson auctions on TV. And the last Z I watched go across the auction block, was a low mileage 90 that didn't sell. But the guys talking about it, said the market IS going up on our cars. And not just low mileage examples. If I was in your situation, patience is a virtue. Find what you want, and trade both cars in. If that isn't an option, put that Beast up for sale at your $30,000 PRICE. Just put an OBO behind it.

This is misleading. Trans Ams sold for stupid numbers at like 2 auctions, then came right back down. While the production numbers were high, most were rode hard and put away wet, so there are likely as many or more low mileage survivor ZR1s as there are early Trans-Ams. The are averaging low 20k right now with the nicest examples breaking into the mid to high 30k range.

The market is not going up on our cars. In the past 6 months it has dropped almost 10%.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote