ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-18-2018   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: LSV = zero rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
Ron:
If you need a few new RC planes to fly while you're 'Vetts are down for repair, you can borrow a few of mine.....
'Crabs

I am impressed...…….and I bet they all work perfectly

I like the high wing tail dragger on the left.....

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-18-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #12
secondchance

amazing how a birds of feather flock together! i started with a line control P51B in 1970, progressed to an A6 intruder RC stunt ship with the very first Kraft retractable landing gear and 6 channel Kraft open gimble, came to the US and bought a 72 Challenger RT, first 79 vette in 79, first C4 in 84, first ZR-1 in 91 and damn! stuck in 1991 forever!
i remember when Futaba came to the market and was the cheapest RC control. 30 years later, Kraft is gone, Orbit is gone, Logitrol, and even Heath Kit is gone and Futaba is the leader!
Ah well! At least Corvette still is...
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #13
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
Ron:
If you need a few new RC planes to fly while you're 'Vetts are down for repair, you can borrow a few of mine.....

'Crabs

I like the P38! I think I have that same kit in my attic. I've had it since bought new in 1976. Maybe I'll get around to building it one of these days.... ya think?
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018   #14
oricale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
I have a feeling I'll be vetteless for a while

I have big plans for the lsv to give it some fresh blood

dragons blood

porting, fresh rings and hone, bearings, and clean the old gal up for the next dance

we are cracking the cam covers off and pulling the heads to get started.

no hurry, you can't drink fine wine until it's ready.
Get a look at her now[emoji848]..This "Heart" wont be the same...Dragon Heart-#008..[emoji41]20180718_144508.jpg20180718_144512.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018   #15
rkreigh

time for the beast to clear it's throat and open up the pipes!!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018   #16
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkreigh View Post
sheesh, been a tough summer, I confirmed the lsv had a serious issue as it hydro locked trying to start. I had been battling a coolant leak and "coolant smell" for years after going to samco hoses

one of them blew on me a couple of months ago and although I was able to get the car off the road right away, getting it home it ran hot (240)

a few weeks later, the coolant leak started to get just a little worse, new hoses didn't fix it and I couldn't find the leak. Oddly enough I didn't see any coolant in the oil (changed it, and kept checking the dip stick), but for sure it was eating coolant.

I tried to start it up a week ago and the engine just refused to turn over and the starter was grinding gears. Sure enough, I pulled the plugs and hit the started and saw the "LSV memorial geyser" and coolant shooting up out of the spark plug hole!

At that point, my heart sank as I thought "how am I ever going to be able to fix this"

soooo....... apart it comes. top end and cooling stack are out, rad was really blocked up, new stronger fans going in from dewitts to keep it cool with ac on.

going with the haibeck MLS head gaskets as they should be a bit better and more forgiving.

check everything out and we'll see what else needs to be done. Demps looked at the porting and it definitely reflects 1997 conservative thinking and may have a bit of room to grow.

Now comes the hard part, getting this thing done in time for Carlisle.

right now I'm a bit bummed. I have 3 vettes and all are down

last night the old pooch 944 turbo (parts chaser) had the clutch go to the floor and stay

I think I need to take up raising chickens or a slight less expensive and less stressful hobby.

I'm going to go fly a model airplane and think about what color engine to go with and quit whinning and start wrenching!!

Went to harbor freight and found a cool tilt a hoist for 39, and a tranny "short scissor" jack for 99 that will work with my 4 post lift and make the tranny pull much easier.

like larry says "get er dun"
Since you have a 951, you know that an open deck doesn't like boost too much. Stablize the cylinders and boost away is what I would do. Don't go N/A. Everyone goes N/A with an LT5.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018   #17
rkreigh

I'm for sure a turbo guy, I've got a few of them and building more

the LSV will be NA for this go around but you are spot on.

Demps has some new liners which would be sooooo nice with a pair of hairdryers.

just takes more fold than I can throw at it
Old 08-02-2018   #18
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I like the P38! I think I have that same kit in my attic. I've had it since bought new in 1976. Maybe I'll get around to building it one of these days.... ya think?

my dad's American Modeler Association number was 1108 and he taught me to build big free flight (dangerous as hell, like top fuel D gas models that went straight up and were limited to 7 second engine runs) these little guys were bad A and had an OPS 60 with 40 percent nitro just like the big boys

.60 cubic inch making 2.2 HP NOT bad for a little fellow. if we could do that HP to CI ratio we would all smile (I'd be happy with a paultry 4hp per cuibic inch

anyway, after the competitive spirit on these guided missles faded after one of them doing 100 mph loops about 6 inches off my nose when the "dethermalizer" failed (a fuse burns through the rubber band allowing the tail to pop up and the models just float down). well we got a bit distracted and the fuse popped up the tail right after I released the model

exciting times!!! anyway, we quickly decided this was getting a bit too dangerous after we caught ourselves and the flying field on fire when the baby pacifiers we used to "inject" the fuel burst with the engine running and caught both of us on fire! nitro, alchy, and castor oil are a bit hard to light off and you get a nice cool feeling looking down at the blue glow (ask me how I know)

anyway, we "graduated" to big RC gliders, (still guided missles, but at lease under RC control)

that was when I was 12 and we traveled all over the country to compete and I was a good "JR" and could even keep up with the big boys some time

After I discovered my lovely wife the model airplanes went on the back burner until a few years ago. I got the bug again and drove down to pick up all the old models my dad and I had built. Mostly beat up and disrepair, but all there. The radios are so old they all need to be updated (I have some REALLY old futaba, craft, ect... radios)

I still fiddle around with both electric 1/10 scale and nitro (on and off road) and a bunch of electric gliders and drones)

It's a very satisfying hobby and one can NEVER have too many toys

the old gliders were 12 ft and up wingspan we used to use the telescoping fishing rods and carbon fiber reinforced built up balsa with huge wing area (14 center cord 9 at tip, 12 ft wing span) so we could go "cross country" LSF (league of silent flight) The objective was to thermal as high as you could, then climb in the car for "goal and return flights" that would go for miles

It's then that I discovered T tops and convertibles. Too much fun.

Now I've pulled back on the size of the models, and you can get so much cheaper and more advanced stuff for much less effort.

check out the vacuum bagged carbon fiber wings, they are just amazing.

If anyone in the NOVA area wants to get together and jam with the rc stuff, let me know. Lots of the car guys are RC enthusiasts and it's a great hobby!

I use my grandson as an excuse, and he's 7 now and gaining interest.
Old 08-02-2018   #19
rkreigh

so back to the LSV heads and pan are now off, HG ring blown on 6

bores and pistons look good.

but with 88k on the short block the plan is redo bottom end with fresh rings, rod, and main bearings, hone and ready for another 100k or so of floggings.

so far none of the "hard parts" look hurt which is good news.

time to sell some cars
Old 08-21-2018   #20
rkreigh

update, upon closer inspection the #6 liner has some bad wear on the bottom of the liner and needs replacement.

time for new liners. the pistons look pretty good but will be measured to see if they are still viable.

liners are pulled from the block and all the expensive stuff is getting either cleaned or replaced.

the heads are ported and cleaned up and we'll have them at Carlisle for inspection

they are looking good!!!