ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-29-2018   #1
G-Sting

Default Cars & Coffee story 

Got the Z cleaned up on Friday and put on a top coat of Carnuba to go to a local Cars & Coffee Saturday morn. There was more than one C&C going on on Saturday morning, so I tried a new smaller one. Yet it had a very pleasant turn out.

I pull in, park, dust it off, and open the hood and a 12-year old chap comes over to see it. I ask him if he knows the history of the ZR-1 and he says no. So I have him read my little ZR-1 Info Paper showing through the windshield on the dash. It has a few specs and briefly mentions the 24-hour record as well. We talk about the Z and he is attentive and interested for sure.

He then tells me that his parents "don't have any cool cars" so he came with his grandpa. His grandpa has a 2017 red Fiat Spider. He points to it, and tells me some about it. We have a very nice conversation and you can tell he's enjoying being at C&C as more and more cool cars pull in.

So I ask: "How long have you been into cars?"

He excitedly responds: "All my life!"

Gotta love a young chap like that. Grandpa is training him right!

[Pics: 1- ZR cleaned up; 2- Some cars at C&C]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E2956.jpg (201.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2958.jpg (177.8 KB, 64 views)
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018   #2
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Cars & Coffee story 

... and you helped with his training immeasurably!
Thanks for taking the time to do what you did.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018   #3
jss06c6

Well done!! You put another block in his foundation👍

Sent from my QTAIR7 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
jss06c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018   #4
32valvZ

The possibility exists that he may never forget the man with the special red Corvette who took a few minutes to chat with him.
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018   #5
TX '90 ZR1

EXCELLENT !!!

1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018   #6
Bob Eyres

I recently went to the Super Chevy Show at palm Beach International Speedway with my five year old grandson. It was his second year at the track and he likes it, especially the jet cars and wheel standers. Anything with Flames is also right up his alley[emoji15].
But overall, this show is a disappointment. I can remember in years past there was a much better show, more cash for racers, and more of a presence from Chevrolet. Which resulted in At least three or four times as much attendance.
From now on we’re going to stick to Cars and Coffee. My little guy, Vince, likes the ZR-1, and by the time he gets a license, if he wants it, it’s his.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018   #7
G-Sting

It was one of those priceless moments, and I couldn't help but chuckle (inside) as the he excitedly exclaimed "All my life!"

I appreciate the gratuitous comments, all. Wasn't expecting them, as I simply just had to share the story!

Hope y'all have a GREAT week!

G
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
Old 04-30-2018   #8
Young1

I have a four year old grandson whose motor is always running. Loves monster trucks especially. He calls my Z. His blue Cor Bette. I am proud to be his motor head grampy.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018   #9
ZR1North

Great story indeed. Ditto others' comments about what an impact the day may have on this young gentleman's life.

I was filling up the Zee and checking the oil last year and I hear from a distance - "no way!" I turned to see three kids around 12-14 tentatively approaching. They took my nod as approval to come in for a closer look. One of the kids had a smartphone, so I invited each of them to sit behind the wheel and took pics on his phone. I have LT5 etched on the water jackets, so one of the kids asks - is an LT5 faster than an LT1. I proceeded to explain a few things about the Zee and the kid with the phone starts taking notes on it before taking his own pics. It was a longer pit stop than I planned, but well worth it I figured.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018   #10
G-Sting

It's sure good to hear of others positively influencing a younger generation - as grandfathers (Bob E, Young1) as well as ZR1North's story. Awesome.

We don't have any grandchildren yet, but I've been told it's one of those things in life that "exceeds expectations!"

...I had a couple of other interesting interactions at that Cars & Coffee. A 2014 torch red C-6 gentleman told me a story about driving his C-6 at the Bowling Green track last November in Vettes for Vets. He was following a C-4 ZR-1 who kept "right on the tail" of a C-7 ZR-1... and they were driving quite hard. He was impressed. (One of us?) He also mentioned the recent C-7 ZR-1 track performances - outdoing the Ford GT, etc.

Then, right about the time I'm leaving, a 30-something C-6 driver pulled in next to my ZR-1. He very excitedly got out and asked if he could take pictures. Of course I responded affirmatively. We chatted a bit, and I also asked him questions about his C-6, etc.

Just a hunch... but it might be that the performance of the C-7 ZR-1 has begun to wake people up about the C-4 ZR-1... and will continue to.

It'll be interesting to see what others' experience is at Cars & Coffees as well as car shows this year.

Last edited by G-Sting; 05-01-2018 at 06:03 PM.