ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-19-2018   #11
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Opinions on this ‘91 please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Chain rattle on startup is a distinct rattle or clatter not a vibration, bumping or rough running. 91's are not generally inclined to chain rattle. Rough running and knocking (similar to rod knock) is almost always injectors causing the flywheel to knock. Hard to say about this one without experiencing it.
H
100% correct!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018   #12
B17 Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Some of the best help for this car right in the Chicago area.
Would have to agree. From everything I’ve read in this forum over the years, I’m amazed at the level of support and effort ZR-1 owners will go to help one another. This is a very tight-knit community.

B17 Crew
B17 Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018   #13
B17 Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccmano View Post
Chain rattle on startup is a distinct rattle or clatter not a vibration, bumping or rough running. 91's are not generally inclined to chain rattle. Rough running and knocking (similar to rod knock) is almost always injectors causing the flywheel to knock. Hard to say about this one without experiencing it.
H
Thank you, this was helpful. What I experieced was not a distinct rattle or clatter but vibration with a “bumping sound”. If I have time tomorrow, I can inquire about the injectors. The dealer seemed honest, I think he would chase down the answer to the best of his ability.

B17Crew
Old 04-19-2018   #14
Z51JEFF

My 91 sounds like somebody under the hood shakin 20 cans of spray paint with the racket from the cam chains at cold startup,it’s done that from day one and I got the car with 6000 miles. The rattle and vibration in the car in question sounds like it’s missing. Injectors,coil,plug wire is what I’d look for.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018   #15
B17 Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
My 91 sounds like somebody under the hood shakin 20 cans of spray paint with the racket from the cam chains at cold startup,it’s done that from day one and I got the car with 6000 miles. The rattle and vibration in the car in question sounds like it’s missing. Injectors,coil,plug wire is what I’d look for.
Thanks for the input! The shaking cans of spray paint is a good description of the sound I experienced. I confirmed it was a cold start by placing my hand on the engine before starting the car.

Played phone tag with the dealership today to inquire about the status of the injectors, we were unable to connect with one another. After doing more research, I am feeling the car is priced too high even though they came down from 20k to 17k. I found ZR-1s in much better condition with lower milage for just a little more money here on the Registry. I work a lot and have a significant amount of call, makes it a challenge to travel to see a car. I prefer to find a car locally that I can easily get to so that I can see it in person.

B17Crew
Old 04-20-2018   #16
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by B17 Crew View Post
Thanks for the input! The shaking cans of spray paint is a good description of the sound I experienced. I confirmed it was a cold start by placing my hand on the engine before starting the car.

Played phone tag with the dealership today to inquire about the status of the injectors, we were unable to connect with one another. After doing more research, I am feeling the car is priced too high even though they came down from 20k to 17k. I found ZR-1s in much better condition with lower milage for just a little more money here on the Registry. I work a lot and have a significant amount of call, makes it a challenge to travel to see a car. I prefer to find a car locally that I can easily get to so that I can see it in person.

B17Crew
One of the main reasons for all the noise at cold startup is the design of the oil filter,the filter is designed to retain oil and one brand of filter that works the best at this is the Bosch filter and I use only Amsoil,these 2 together seem to quite down the cam chains. The car in question isn’t too common as far as color goes so if the car works out it might be worth looking into if it can be had cheaper,I’d shoot for $15,000 and see what happens. The car over all looks to be in good shape,the finish on the motor looks really good from what I remember from the photos.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018   #17
KILLSHOTS

OP, since you're asking for opinions, mine is that $17K is way too much money for a stock car with that mileage. It looks clean, but there is also some significant wear, such as the seat bolster...worn nearly all the way through the leather. Another thing to consider is that the vintage GS-Cs are very cool, but will need to be replaced pronto if you plan on driving the car. In 2014, I paid $18K for my '90 with 15,500 miles and I wouldn't pay that again. If it was my money, I would buy a car from a registry member that is already sorted and/or modified, because the one you're considering COULD end up bleeding you dry. JMHO. Good luck!
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018   #18
B17 Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
One of the main reasons for all the noise at cold startup is the design of the oil filter,the filter is designed to retain oil and one brand of filter that works the best at this is the Bosch filter and I use only Amsoil,these 2 together seem to quite down the cam chains. The car in question isn’t too common as far as color goes so if the car works out it might be worth looking into if it can be had cheaper,I’d shoot for $15,000 and see what happens. The car over all looks to be in good shape,the finish on the motor looks really good from what I remember from the photos.
Thank you, sir. I have noticed Bosch filters adorning LT-5 engines here on the Registry. Was not aware of Amsoil as a go to to reduce cam chain noise, that is great info. In regards to the color, the photos don’t do it justice, the Dark Red Metallic (DRM) is a really nice color. The price of the car needs to come down. At this point, I am going to watch the car and see if the dealer begins to drop the price significantly. Starting at 20k was way to high, down to 17k is going the right direction.

Another strong point of the car besides the LT-5 is the panel fit/alignment of this particular specimen. The panels are aligned more precisely than my ‘96’s panels. Don’t know if ZR-1s received special attention on the line in regards to panel fit, but this is one of the better aligned C4s I have seen in a while.

B17Crew
Old 04-22-2018   #19
B17 Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
OP, since you're asking for opinions, mine is that $17K is way too much money for a stock car with that mileage. It looks clean, but there is also some significant wear, such as the seat bolster...worn nearly all the way through the leather. Another thing to consider is that the vintage GS-Cs are very cool, but will need to be replaced pronto if you plan on driving the car. In 2014, I paid $18K for my '90 with 15,500 miles and I wouldn't pay that again. If it was my money, I would buy a car from a registry member that is already sorted and/or modified, because the one you're considering COULD end up bleeding you dry. JMHO. Good luck!
Thank you for your input KILLSHOTS. I agree with you, this car does have the potential to be a money pit; from the bolster to other items such as the loose steering column, I think you are on-point. The 17k selling price did not sit well with me, I later found other ZR-1s with fewer miles and better condition at a better price. They just happen to either be on the left or right coast I prefer to find a local car, I know LT-1s and LT-4s backwards and forwards, the LT-5 not so much. The car I end up purchasing will replace my LT-4 which I have had for the last 20 years. I am anticipating keeping whatever Z I end up with just as long, so it has to be the RIGHT ZR-1.

B17Crew
Old 04-23-2018   #20
WARP TEN

I would strongly suggest that you get your car up to Marc Haibeck rather than use a local dealer. Or at least give him a call about your symptoms. I was just at Marc's shop for our monthly lunch and he had a car in that had a noise similar to the one you have described that had been diagnosed as rod knock by his local Chevrolet dealer. The dealer then proceeded to rebuild the engine (expensive) and it still didn't run. Well it ran barely like on seven cylinders and still made the noise. As was noted above, injectors are often a culprits on these old cars, and sure enough it turns out whom ever had been working on the car had replaced injectors one at a time, with Marc finding three different brands on the car. Also one was completely dead. They were due to start it up after I left so I don't know the outcome, but I can assure you that Marc and Bob will get it running perfectly (and hopefully they won't have to rebuild the rebuild.) You are really not that far away from Marc's shop in Addison IL--probably five hours-- and having him go through a ZR-1 recently purchased can save untold headaches. It is always worth the money, and it will likely save you a lot of money over time. I did it with my '93 and my '95 and he found lots of little things that I would not have found until it was too late. Saved me lots of hassle and the cars always ran like new. Well, better than new after he did his 510 HP package on the '95.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 04-23-2018 at 09:11 AM.
WARP TEN is online now   Reply With Quote