ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-22-2017   #31
Ronstar

Default Re: TOW vs. Spare doughnut a discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Daryl,

My doughnut spare had gone flat and also after 20+ years I felt was history. Furthermore, I have gone to 14" Wilwood rotors up front and 13" on the rear plus 6 piston and 4 piston calipers front and rear respectively negating the use of OEM spare.
Luckily, a local former Zr-1 owner had advertised 18" spare that came with CTS-V. I had to have a machine shop enlarge the opening in the center to mate properly to the hub. Worked out to be a perfect solution for my over-sized braking system.
What brake set up do you have on your car?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #32
Kevin

I have AAA and my collectors insurance has tow coverage. No way i'm putting a 30 year old spare on and driving on it.
Old 11-22-2017   #33
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I have AAA and my collectors insurance has tow coverage. No way i'm putting a 30 year old spare on and driving on it.

This is an answer I completely agree with!
Why risk it?
Rear tires may take time to find and or order in an emergency, but that would be far less of an imposition than an exploding spare, or simply driving with one 12 inch tire and one 4 inch spare.
If far from home, I'll take a couple of days off while sourcing a replacement.
If closer to home, well that is exactly why I have towing in the first place!
The car is far more important to me than any inconvenience.
My tow is either 100 or 200 miles. Fifty miles on the spare, if it could handle it, would likely still leave me with miles to go.
No thanks, I'll call AAA!
They take me home too!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #34
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Concur which is why I suggested buying new spare rubber. Also that new doughnut may facilitate the car being pulled up onto the flatbed easier if you are a long way from home
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 11-22-2017 at 03:00 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #35
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Hey, Craig!

CTS-V spare looks very similar except in 18" diameter.

Great point Craig... If you though it was hard to find our tires here it must be a real challenge abroad especially for the rears. Yikes

I would have a stack of Summi's just incase. A front and rear throw down pair until I could get what I wanted in an emergency.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 11-22-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2017   #36
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Hey, Craig!

CTS-V spare looks very similar except in 18" diameter.

Hey Yun,

Yes indeed. I can’t remember why I decided on the GTO and do remember looking for both. My cheap azz probably got a good deal on the GTO 17” that I could not refuse.....lol. I don’t have such huge calipers and rotors so it works. As you mentioned to Dom, as long as it clears rotor/caliper and the spare tire diameter is close to same for the rear with posi I think good to go. I got my idea for brake upgrade and spare from you. Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #37
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

I have wildwood 6 piston narrowlites up front and wildwood 4 piston rears. They all fit under a stock 17 inch wheel

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 11-22-2017   #38
HAWAIIZR-1

Default TOW vs. Spare doughnut a discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Great point Craig... If you though it was hard to find our tires here it must be a real challenge abroad especially for the rears. Yikes

I would have a stack of Summi's just incase. A front and rear throw down pair until I could get what I wanted in an emergency.

Daryll,

Thanks for your thoughts. For now I’m okay while I have SOFA status and can receive tires/wheels through USPS from Tirerack/Discount Tires Direct, etc. it will cost a first born child after I retire and no longer have a US address.

Yes, I do think about that a lot. The towing here is very expensive too and not being able to communicate well enough. I plan to drive south to meet up with some Z brothers next spring about 6 hour drive so gotta prepare all maintenance. Best wishes and nice to hear you share stock size spare tire replacement option.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017   #39
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
14" wilwood 2 piece drilled rotors with 6 piston wilwood calipers up front and 13" drilled rotors with 4 piston wilwood calipers on the rear. Separate mechanical spot parking brakes for parking.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote