ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-21-2017   #1
sljs3413

Default Questions about a 92 I'm looking at.

I'm looking at a 92 with 30k miles. Car is in great condition and the price is right but my concern is the owner claimed that they have never had to do anything to it and I mean nothing besides brakes and tires. I know those injectors fail but any chance those injectors have held up and will continue If I don't use the ethonol gas? Should I be worried that nothing has been done under the hood? Thanks guys
sljs3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017   #2
Vette73

Default Re: Questions about a 92 I'm looking at.

Have they at least, and I would guess they probably have,changed the oil at least?

Tough to get ethanol free fuel, at least in NY....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017   #3
sljs3413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
Have they at least, and I would guess they probably have,changed the oil at least?

Tough to get ethanol free fuel, at least in NY....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Yes they have done basic stuff
Old 10-21-2017   #4
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljs3413 View Post
I'm looking at a 92 with 30k miles. Car is in great condition and the price is right but my concern is the owner claimed that they have never had to do anything to it and I mean nothing besides brakes and tires. I know those injectors fail but any chance those injectors have held up and will continue If I don't use the ethonol gas? Should I be worried that nothing has been done under the hood? Thanks guys

I know owners that have done nothing other than oil, filter, battery, oil cooler lines, and their cars run fine.
Why the obsession with "what could go wrong"?
Seems we too often get caught up with preventing things that may or very well may not happen.
If something goes amiss, deal with it.
I have never been in favor of changing things just for the sake of the change.
Unlike an airplane, a car can be safely steered to the side of the road in the event of a failure. So to use an aircraft maintenance approach for an automobile, while perfectly fine, is not 100% necessary.
If the car runs great (a determination made best by one who has driven great running LT-5) then simply perform routine items.
When something first begins to malfunction, then deal with it immediately, as rarely do things improve on their own.
Many wonder why the values of ZR-1's suffer as they do.
The answer is simple.
Many owners fell compelled to replace perfectly good parts, then complain about the cost. Others read and hear this then conclude that the cars are a maintenance nightmare, which they clearly are not.
Could my 93 run better with new injectors?
Maybe, but it runs fine as is, so why change them out?
I'm not at all cheap, but I am also not at all wasteful.

OP, If the car drives and looks good buy it!
Make sure the oil, brake, clutch, and coolant are all clean and ok, and the tires are not "too" old.
Once that is done, drive the darn thing and find out why we smile so much!
Good luck, stop worrying and keep us posted!
We are here if you need us!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017   #5
sljs3413

Thanks. There are over 30 gas stations local that have pure gas. I guess we are 20 years behind here in Nashville lol
Old 10-21-2017   #6
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljs3413 View Post
Thanks. There are over 30 gas stations local that have pure gas. I guess we are 20 years behind here in Nashville lol
That's great....I don't think there's any in NY.....At least not near me......I guess if the injectors are original and you can use ethanol free,you should have no problems...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017   #7
jcruz

The LT-5 is pretty bullet proof. I wouldn't be worried about injectors and other things unless the car doesn't drive well.

I've mostly only had to do routine maintenance on my 91 and 92 except for the following:

92 - had the IC rebuilt (Batee)
92 - Coils replaced

That's it! Both cars run great...
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017   #8
Young1

If it is idling well without dual mass flywheel rattle or knock don't worry about it. Drive it and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017   #9
Ccmano

If your going to buy a 25 year old car you must expect things will go wrong with it. The issues with ZR-1s are well known and well documented. They will happen. Be prepared to either do the repair work on your own or be prepared to the write a hefty check for someone else to do it. This is not just for Z’s but for any older car. After many years in this hobby I have found that there is no way to guarantee minimal exposure to breakdowns and repair expense. Sure, you might get lucky and find one that will need minimal care. The odds, however, are against you there.

This forum and (most importantly it people) are a fabulous resource (better than most) to guide owners through the ins and outs, pleasures and trials of these unique cars. Everything you need is here to make ownership of a Z a wonderful experience.

Embrace these concepts and you will be a happy owner. The wrong expectations will make you regret you ever bought a Z.

The following comment is not directed at the OP...
Over the years I have seen countless posts here and elsewhere with people complaining about cars they bought that need one repair after another. This hobby is not just about driving these cars, it about learning them inside and out, then the challenge of doing the work yourself and the reward of a better performing car. For those not willing to learn and work, at the very least, they should be prepared to spend significant sums of money to maintain the cars. People who complain about reliability and are not willing to do one of the two items outlined above have no business in this hobby.

Sorry for the rant, didn’t mean to hijack your thread.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 10-22-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017   #10
Young1

Amen to the above. I purchased mine one owner with 34,000 miles that was running perfectly. But purchased Mark's video to learn a plenum pull and fix vacuum and ignition woes. Pulled the radiator. Installed new bladders in the seats. Each event required research and tool purchases. That is part of the ownership of having a "special" car. I enjoy it all! That what makes us Z owners special too.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote