ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-02-2016   #1
Regimof

Default Let's speak hypothetically

1. Full disclosure, this isn't a Zr1 related thread. It is a corvette related thread, though.

2. It is hypothetical as I do not encourage tomfoolery or skullduggary..... and I especially do not condone shenaniganery....

But..... Let's say a fellow ZR1 owner happens to also own a Z06 convertible and one random August day, said owner decides that he wants to make a high speed run in his Z06. Would this pretend endeavour be better with the top up or top down?

Is it limited with the top up? More or less stable?

Last edited by Regimof; 08-02-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Regimof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #2
BigJohn

Default Re: Let's speak hypothetically

I like them better with the top off!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #3
RussMcB

soft top or hard top convertible?

My gut feeling is the hard top installed would be fastest (and safer!).

I kinda think a soft top would be faster up than down, too.

This is all pure guessing on my part (but I do know a Miata is faster with a hard top installed. I've tested that :-)

You might want to run with the windows up if you really want top speed (another pure guess on my part).
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #4
oricale

Hypothetically speaking that should be a C7 correct? ...... No Z06 is prior to C7 or convertible unless you took it apart and took the bolts out to take the roof off !!!

However if there was an opportunity to run a C7 Z06 roof off at high-speed I say go for it!!..the car is fitted with internal structure enhancements to allow high-speed driving with no roof.
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*

Last edited by oricale; 08-02-2016 at 10:30 PM.
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #5
Regimof

It would be a 2015 Z06. My real concern....hypothetically.... is if it's limited with the top down. I know some cars have a restriction with it down
Regimof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #6
RussMcB

You should run a back-to-back comparison...

... unless you think there will be just one shot at it and you'll need to get outa Dodge fast. :-)
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #7
Corvettes White

Speaking to the C3's, the convertibles with a hardtop had better aerodynamics than the T-top coupes. George.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #8
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I believe the laws of aerodynamics pretty much answers the OP's question...or at least the potential for increasing (air) drag is pretty obvious.

Practically speaking, the laws of physics predict aerodynamic resistance increases (drastically) with speed - not too many open cockpits on a jet fighter, doanchaknow. Point being, the faster the (car) goes, the greater the (air) resistance. Having the top down or the targa top removed while pleasure cruising or even auto-Xing is one thing, and attempting a to achieve the best 1/4 mile speed or speed/endurance record is quite another.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote