ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-15-2015   #1
BlackSheepz

Default Red light/Button

Hey everybody, I've been looking at ZR-1's for a while now and I still haven't found "The" car. That's fine, I'm still enjoying the hunt.

That said, I have noticed on more than one that I've looked at that there seems to be either a red light or a red button or red light either underneath the radio, OR underneath the trip computer buttons. Unfortunately I haven't taken a photo of the ones I have seen so I'm not expecting too much help, but I'm hoping someone might know what that is? I'm sure it's aftermarket, but they are installed flush in the dash so someone took some time to do it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
BlackSheepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Red light/Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepz View Post
Hey everybody, I've been looking at ZR-1's for a while now and I still haven't found "The" car. That's fine, I'm still enjoying the hunt.

That said, I have noticed on more than one that I've looked at that there seems to be either a red light or a red button or red light either underneath the radio, OR underneath the trip computer buttons. Unfortunately I haven't taken a photo of the ones I have seen so I'm not expecting too much help, but I'm hoping someone might know what that is? I'm sure it's aftermarket, but they are installed flush in the dash so someone took some time to do it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
The one under the radio surround is prob an afermarket alarm system led same as the one underneath the trip computer button. There is a factory flush photoelectric eye that is to the left above the Drivers Information Center (DIC) buttons
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 10-15-2015 at 03:19 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015   #3
BlackSheepz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
The one under the radio surround is prob an afermarket alarm system led same as the one underneath the trip computer button. There is a factory flush photoelectric eye that is to the left above the Drivers Information Center (DIC) buttons

Thanks a really great thought, thank you for that! Not even the folks selling the cars knew what they were, which concerned me.

Now I know better what to look for next time I see one.

Thanks again!
Old 10-16-2015   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Thanks a really great thought, thank you for that! Not even the folks selling the cars knew what they were, which concerned me.

Now I know better what to look for next time I see one.

Thanks again!
Your welcome. Buy the best ZR-1 you can afford is the best advise I could offer. If you have questions please post them up and we will try to help and/or provide guidance. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 10-16-2015   #5
We Gone

Here is a stock dash (93) other than the color all 91-95 should look be laid out like this. The 90 would not have the small green light by the power key.

The photoelectric eye GC is reffing to is at the top left of the Trip monitor tag.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015   #6
BlackSheepz

Quote:
Your welcome. Buy the best ZR-1 you can afford is the best advise I could offer. If you have questions please post them up and we will try to help and/or provide guidance. GC
Appreciate the advice. The whole process has actually been a little frustrating if that makes sense. I've been looking for quite a while now and only since about May have been seriously inquiring about cars. Just haven't sat in one that was "the one" if that makes sense.

It's been an interesting road of people getting mad because I've told them they were asking too much for their car or I pointed out something that wasn't right (like the Alarm system lights) that I asked if they could identify or ect. A dealer near me has a 1990 with 47k miles and 4 months ago they were asking $28k. Told them they were a little high and it should probably be closer to 21-22k to get people interested, and the guy told me to go elsewhere to look for my "entry level ZR-1". Right to my face. The car is still on their lot, but today it's priced at $21,5.... Another dealer near me has a car with 19k miles on it. They wanted $24k and I offered them 20k but they said they could only go down to $23k. Today the car is still on their lot for $19,8. Seems like a great deal except in my dealings with them they said they had to replace the clutch, neither of the headlight motors worked when they got it, AND the valet key wasn't functional as I discovered on the test drive. Told them to let me know when they got it all sorted out. They have not been in contact with me since I was there in person.

Just started the process with a Steel Blue one about two hours from me. Waiting to get all the answers back to my questions but really am only hoping for the best at this point! ha ha

Thank you for your help, this and Corvette Forum have always been wonderful to me.
Old 10-16-2015   #7
BlackSheepz

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Here is a stock dash (93) other than the color all 91-95 should look be laid out like this. The 90 would not have the small green light by the power key.

The photoelectric eye GC is reffing to is at the top left of the Trip monitor tag.

Thank you for the photo. Yup, that's as I've imagined it. Almost Identical to the 92 I already have, except with the Valet key space. Hard part is that people have gotten offended when I've asked!

Thanks WE GONE!
Old 10-16-2015   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Appreciate the advice. The whole process has actually been a little frustrating if that makes sense. I've been looking for quite a while now and only since about May have been seriously inquiring about cars. Just haven't sat in one that was "the one" if that makes sense.

It's been an interesting road of people getting mad because I've told them they were asking too much for their car or I pointed out something that wasn't right (like the Alarm system lights) that I asked if they could identify or ect. A dealer near me has a 1990 with 47k miles and 4 months ago they were asking $28k. Told them they were a little high and it should probably be closer to 21-22k to get people interested, and the guy told me to go elsewhere to look for my "entry level ZR-1". Right to my face. The car is still on their lot, but today it's priced at $21,5.... Another dealer near me has a car with 19k miles on it. They wanted $24k and I offered them 20k but they said they could only go down to $23k. Today the car is still on their lot for $19,8. Seems like a great deal except in my dealings with them they said they had to replace the clutch, neither of the headlight motors worked when they got it, AND the valet key wasn't functional as I discovered on the test drive. Told them to let me know when they got it all sorted out. They have not been in contact with me since I was there in person.

Just started the process with a Steel Blue one about two hours from me. Waiting to get all the answers back to my questions but really am only hoping for the best at this point! ha ha

Thank you for your help, this and Corvette Forum have always been wonderful to me.
Alarm LEDS are quite common don't forget this car was 65k back in the day and lowjacked in some cases as well. Yep it's best to buy from a former owner if you can as most are enthusiasts and know all about the car. The aftermarket dealerships not so much. GC

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 10-17-2015   #9
Z51JEFF

In my opinion don't even bother with a car that somebody has messed with as far as aftermarket wiring anything. Why would somebody put an aftermarket alarm in the car when it already has one? Steel Blue one of the best colors,hope it works out for you.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015   #10
WARP TEN

Quote:
Alarm LEDS are quite common don't forget this car was 65k back in the day and lowjacked in some cases as well. Yep it's best to buy from a former owner if you can as most are enthusiasts and know all about the car. The aftermarket dealerships not so much. GC
My 95 had a Lo-Jack installed and had a little red LED light just to the left of the steering column on the little shelf under the main display. I had Marc remove all the wiring and the light. Didn't seem to be attached to anything of importance and I didn't even know it was there. Perhaps had been disconnected at some earlier time. It had a battery pack in the ABS compartment and he found the transmitter in the rear of the luggage compartment behind the carpet. Anyway all back to normal in the wiring department with no ill effects. -Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote