ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-13-2015   #21
Roadster

Default Re: Two Questions that need your thoughts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
That looks familiar. Sounds like you found the problem with a bad window motor. I had exactly the same issue last year and after testing the switch (it was fine), it was clear the motor was bad. Once I got the door apart it was easy to see why - the casing was slightly open and water had gotten inside. I sourced a complete window regulator assembly from a parted out car and just replaced the whole thing, much easier than replacing the motor. I think I still have the old one in the garage, intended to rebuild the old motor but I haven't gotten around to it.
Well Mark, tried out the adapters again today, there is one that works..... so I hooked up the new switch, the new motor, held it in my hand and guess what, the motor works...... All I have to do now is remove the regulator assembly and remove the motor. There was someone who suggested using plastic ties around the regulator when removing the motor, so I will try it. Also ordered a PDL actuator and will replace that also, since the door is all apart. The door window guide looks good as mentioned before, but will check out further and replace if necessary, since I have that part ready to go. This way I may never have to go into that door again in my lifetime.....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1974 L-82 355 Vert.
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #22
Roadster

I took out the regulator-motor assembly yesterday. Looks like someone was in there before, because the window motor is missing a bolt. I did not like the replacement motor I got with screw replacements, so I found another assembly which will be here tomorrow ready to go. Inside of the door is clean and drain holes are clear. Also replaced the PDL actuator, so everything will be updated.....It will be nice to have a working window again....

1974 LS4 454 Vert
1974 L-82 355 Vert.

WAZOO Member
Old 04-24-2015   #23
Roadster

Regulator and motor is in, and the window goes up & down....wow nice to have a working window...followed the instruction sheet and running into a snag....
If I sit in the Z and close the window, it fits flush. I think I have it adjusted correctly. Had to do it myself, as no one was available to push in on the window from the outside while tightening the adjusting nuts from the inside. Used suction cups on the inside and it seemed to work fine.
The issue I am having is that if I leave the door open and close the window, when it gets to the top, the rear part of the window comes up another inch and the entire window tilts in, and of course you can't close the door, because of this.... I think there is a "stop" button or adjustment that you can make to have the window stop at a certain point.
Has anyone run into this type of problem? And is this "stop" button a trial & error adjustment? Thanks for any info.......

1974 LS4 454 Vert
1974 L-82 355 Vert.

WAZOO Member
Old 04-24-2015   #24
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Regulator and motor is in, and the window goes up & down....wow nice to have a working window...followed the instruction sheet and running into a snag....
If I sit in the Z and close the window, it fits flush. I think I have it adjusted correctly. Had to do it myself, as no one was available to push in on the window from the outside while tightening the adjusting nuts from the inside. Used suction cups on the inside and it seemed to work fine.
The issue I am having is that if I leave the door open and close the window, when it gets to the top, the rear part of the window comes up another inch and the entire window tilts in, and of course you can't close the door, because of this.... I think there is a "stop" button or adjustment that you can make to have the window stop at a certain point.
Has anyone run into this type of problem? And is this "stop" button a trial & error adjustment? Thanks for any info.......
I have spent quite a few (ok many) hours on both doors when I replaced the regulators.. I think i have them working great, then I close the door and it will not work completely correct..

so as much as it pains me to say it.. Yes it is very much trial and error to get it adjusted correctly
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015   #25
gbrtng

According to my 91 shop manual, the front window-to-regulator stud is the up stop. Note there are two rear and one front stud that attach the glass to the regulator. Since the rear of your window ends up too high at the top, you will have to re-adjust the two rear studs so the window is in the correct position at the top.

I see you finally took my advice and replaced the complete regulator - good on you.
Old 04-24-2015   #26
-=Jeff=-

Yes there is a front stop and then there is the back 'hook' that also acts as a stop

I believe there are a total of 3 bolts holding the glass to the regulator. since you took everything out and put everything back, you are staring from no reference points other than potential marking on the glass. to the get the window right will take adjusting the front stop, rear 'hook' as well as moving the window around on the regulator ( there is adjustment with the studs/bolts loose

I think I have a good 8 hours on each door (not all at once) and I am happy with how everything seals.. my other challenge was I had replaced all the weatherstripping (All Aftermarket) as well.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015   #27
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
According to my 91 shop manual, the front window-to-regulator stud is the up stop. Note there are two rear and one front stud that attach the glass to the regulator. Since the rear of your window ends up too high at the top, you will have to re-adjust the two rear studs so the window is in the correct position at the top.

I see you finally took my advice and replaced the complete regulator - good on you.
Yes I did, good advice......

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yes there is a front stop and then there is the back 'hook' that also acts as a stop

I believe there are a total of 3 bolts holding the glass to the regulator. since you took everything out and put everything back, you are staring from no reference points other than potential marking on the glass. to the get the window right will take adjusting the front stop, rear 'hook' as well as moving the window around on the regulator ( there is adjustment with the studs/bolts loose

I think I have a good 8 hours on each door (not all at once) and I am happy with how everything seals.. my other challenge was I had replaced all the weatherstripping (All Aftermarket) as well.
Will have to go over everything again before putting the rest of the door back together. But first have to finish with the 82, hopefully tomorrow before finishing the window adjustment.

Here is a pic of the new parts installed.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert
1974 L-82 355 Vert.

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 04-25-2015 at 11:18 PM.