ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 01-20-2015   #1
Domestic Power

Default WTB 1990 Power Key

Checking to see if anyone out there has a power key for a 1990 that they would like to sell ?
1990 Steel Blue #2818 ( stock for now )
Domestic Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #2
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: WTB 1990 Power Key

Are you missing the key or looking for a spare?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #3
Domestic Power

Bought my car in Nov. it did not have the power key. I have read that the car should default to normal mode on start up. Only driven 10-20 miles since buying but the full power light on the dash always comes on after starting and the couple of times my right foot has been heavy it sure feels like the secondaries are kicking in. I'm the 3rd owner and new to the LT5 so I wonder if the secondaries have been bypassed ?
Old 01-20-2015   #4
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Power View Post
Bought my car in Nov. it did not have the power key. I have read that the car should default to normal mode on start up. Only driven 10-20 miles since buying but the full power light on the dash always comes on after starting and the couple of times my right foot has been heavy it sure feels like the secondaries are kicking in. I'm the 3rd owner and new to the LT5 so I wonder if the secondaries have been bypassed ?
Hmmm. If the FULL POWER light on a '90 is on without the key inserted, then someone must have tinkered with the switch, which is what is typically done when the secondaries are bypassed. Chances are, you won't need a key.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #5
PhillipsLT5

With Marcs chip on a 91 always in full power, maybe it has a chip?
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #6
Domestic Power

It's kind of odd the switch is in the normal position but the full power light on the dash is on. 1st owner (I believe deceased) had the car until 2013 (I think), 2nd owner didn't have it long enough to do much more than drive it 2-3xxx mls. Thought if I could buy a key at least the car would look stock, don't really plan to ever drive it in the L98 mode. Thats just wrong !
Old 01-20-2015   #7
efnfast

On a 90 the key will only come out in the normal position. Unlike the later years, it will stay in the full position when put there. I never touch my key in my 90, it's always on. In normal mode, the engine will not rev much above 5.5K. In full, it will sail right up to 7K. We've had this discution before, please do this test with the engine under load. Don't sit in nuetral and mash your foot to the floor.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #8
Domestic Power

Thanks for the info. guys, so on a 90 you can't take the power key out of the car and still keep the car in normal mode ? The car is in full power mode cause my ornery right foot has already hit the rev limiter a couple of times. That 70 mph second gear thing is Bad A$$
Old 01-20-2015   #9
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Thanks for the info. guys, so on a 90 you can't take the power key out of the car and still keep the car in normal mode ? The car is in full power mode cause my ornery right foot has already hit the rev limiter a couple of times. That 70 mph second gear thing is Bad A$$
Yeah, sounds like a PO has definitely wired the switch to be always on. For various reasons, you do NOT want to run a ZR-1 liberated of its secondaries in normal power mode, so the switch in a '90 should always be modified when removing the secondaries. That's probably what has happened with your car.

Or, as Rich said, maybe a PO just lost the key and hard-wired it for that reason.

Last edited by KILLSHOTS; 01-20-2015 at 10:23 AM.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #10
Scrrem

Quote:
Is this the car that was in Washington DC? If so, I test drove that car and did notice that it was in normal mode but said full power. I have a 90 and it felt as though the secondaries were opening to me also. The key may have been lost and it's probably jumpered in the back somewhere.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote