ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-27-2007   #1
Peaven

Default King feasts on Horse/Snake

Well it finally happened, after more than a year of owning the KOTH I finally had a chance encounter that i've been wondering about for a while...a Mustang Cobra. Now I've heard these things can be real boosted beasts, so I was a little apprehensive as I pulled up behind this guy at the light (he was 1st in line and I was right behind him). I don't know much about Cobras, but I think this one was at least a '01 model as it had COBRA plastered across the rear bumper and was a late model one for sure, and it sounded healthy (for a Ford).

Anyway, he starts to pull away from the light at a leisurely pace and I follow behind in 1st gear until the revs get up to 3k and then with an opening I pull into the right lane and...it's on! At 4k my front is even w/his rear bumper and by the time I shift into 2nd my door is even with his front bumper....then it's over when I hit 3rd as I've put a good 1-2 lengths on him.

I let off in 3rd and he backs way off, as I slowed to about 45 waiting for him to give it another go, but he's not game. This Cobra must have been stock because it really wasn't much of a contest...I was expecting a dogfight and thought I might get clipped, but not this time....it's good to be King.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #2
91King

Default Re: King feasts on Horse/Snake

WARNING: The Surgeon General has said that smoking Mustangs is NOT hazardous to your health...Keep smokin' Steve...
91 red/red #1813
EES 402
91King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #3
GrayZ

GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #4
jonszr1

hey peav do you remember what the hood looked like the 03-04 supercharged cobras have 2 deep vents in the hood. like the 68 just alot more pronounced. i think you got a 01 the 03-04 are a real hand full. i know i just bearly got by a stk 03 and my car has ported inj housings and plenum , headers a custom chip. has 409.9 rwhp. what i am saying is be very carefull those 03-04 a very quick and i dont think you could have got by them so easily. dont get me wrong I love our cars. just saying be c arefull with the 03-04s cobras
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #5
Peaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1
hey peav do you remember what the hood looked like the 03-04 supercharged cobras have 2 deep vents in the hood. like the 68 just alot more pronounced. i think you got a 01 the 03-04 are a real hand full. i know i just bearly got by a stk 03 and my car has ported inj housings and plenum , headers a custom chip. has 409.9 rwhp. what i am saying is be very carefull those 03-04 a very quick and i dont think you could have got by them so easily. dont get me wrong I love our cars. just saying be c arefull with the 03-04s cobras
I don't remember seeing the hood vents...the other thing I didn't hear was the telltale whine of the sc, so I'm certain it was an `01. Some porting will definately be in order at some point, prolly this winter. I'm pretty sure he thought that Blue was just an ordinary C4 though.
'94 ABZ Lucky #13-SOLD
Peaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #6
brazilfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1
What he said - as a past owner of a 03 Cobra with 550rwhp that looked stock as could be, they aren't to be played with at the lights. However, had you raced to 180+ there would be much less of a issue .
brazilfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #7
Tim

I have a friend with a 06 mustang. I drove it and it is quick! Are the hood vents the only way to tell if its a cobra? One day soon we will match them up and want to make sure i don t have a hand full. Mine has a drm chip and 4:10s Any thoughts
Old 06-27-2007   #8
jonszr1

tim , get yourself a set of headers to be sure . the hood id is for the only 03 04. i dont know the diffs on the05-07s. is the car you are doing battle with a gt or a shelby with the supercharger . if its the latter then deffinatly get headers and do him froma 10-15 mph roll. 410 gears are a plus.jmho
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #9
key_on

I've driven several of the 03 - 04 Cobras. They are a force to be reckoned with. They have more grunt from 0 - 100 than a stock Z, but pale against the Z on the big end. I respect them, but they're still a Mustang.
key_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #10
Kevin

was the bottom part of the rear bumper painted body color or was it black