ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-30-2013   #21
mike100

Default Re: Alternative source for cheap functional Bose speaker amplifiers

Just wait a month. Those high volume junkyards turn over the cars fairly quickly. I wish I had known about this when I had my old LT1 C4- there was at leat one bad one in that car too. I now have 7 spare amps- looks like I will trade away a few or maybe save them for another car (you never know-C4's are easy to buy right now...)
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013   #22
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Just wait a month. Those high volume junkyards turn over the cars fairly quickly. I wish I had known about this when I had my old LT1 C4- there was at leat one bad one in that car too. I now have 7 spare amps- looks like I will trade away a few or maybe save them for another car (you never know-C4's are easy to buy right now...)
My 91' ZR-1 had rebuilt Speaker Amps which were directly soldered to the connector wires with the connector removed.
I replaced those modified Pigtails with Stock Pigtails having the six pin connectors in tact and used 975 Amps Front and Rear.

WOW....what volume and a super sound

And ALL those 975s and 075s that were junk at Pull UR Parts worked perfectly....I tested them ALL.

Bose Speaker Amp Options TIPS

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-03-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014   #23
Vette92-97

Quote:
!!!!!... and I only found 3 today. BTW, the 6 pin amp fits all 91-up C4 speakers (see my pic comparison of my oem 6-pin 91 amps). I will have to dig back into some links at the other forum to see what the deal was with the wiring to see if you can adapt those to 90-earlier.
Looks like the Bose option was standard on Infiniti and an option on Maximas. It would seem Infiniti stands for unlimited supply of parts in the wrecking yard. I did find that older maximas and Q45 flagship cars also have the Bose speakers- maybe those amps are compatible, but most are 20 years old and I did not bother to break down the speaker enclosures to see what they looked like.
I pulled 3 amps from our 1992 convertible and was wondering if the Maxima amps would work in a convertible. I see that there are different part numbers for coupe and convertibles. We are looking to sell our 1992 and I don't want to put a ton of money into the stereo system.

Thanks

Mike Boggs
94 ZR-1 AB/Blk
92 C4 white/white/white
97 C5 white/blk
Vette92-97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #24
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette92-97 View Post
I pulled 3 amps from our 1992 convertible and was wondering if the Maxima amps would work in a convertible. I see that there are different part numbers for coupe and convertibles. We are looking to sell our 1992 and I don't want to put a ton of money into the stereo system.

Thanks

I can't say for sure without doing a little research on C4 vert amplifiers, but I suspect the only differences are speaker tuning for different sized speakers in a different enclosure. Just so long as you keep the rear nissan amps in the rear, I think it would be an adequate replacement. pretty sure the electrical hookup is the same as the coupes and should still be plug-and-play.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #25
Vette92-97

Quote:
I can't say for sure without doing a little research on C4 vert amplifiers, but I suspect the only differences are speaker tuning for different sized speakers in a different enclosure. Just so long as you keep the rear nissan amps in the rear, I think it would be an adequate replacement. pretty sure the electrical hookup is the same as the coupes and should still be plug-and-play.
I can't say for sure either, but I think we are on the same page. The only information I have found on differences in the two amps is the convertible amp puts out 75 watts and the coupe amp only puts out 50 watts. The convertible amp has two more capacitors than the coupe amp. I went ahead and purchased a set of 4 nissan amps (2 front and 2 rear) that are the 075 version. I will test as soon as they arrive. The electrical hookups are all the same so this should work. My goal is to get this working before heading off to Bloomington Gold at the end of the month. Thanks for your advice and quick response.

Mike Boggs
94 ZR-1 AB/Blk
92 C4 white/white/white
97 C5 white/blk
Old 06-08-2014   #26
95 LT5

Picked up a set of 075's from a 99 maxima. Car just arrived the day before. Amps were in Great condition, and work beautiful. Also found 2 from a 2000 nissan pathfinder 077's also work great. Think there only 2 fronts that had amps on them. Different kind of setup on this one.
Bought the speakers from both cars, will test them later this week.

'95 ZR-1
RED/GRAY

'95 ZR-1
BLK/BLK

'89 6-Spd
FX-3,Z51
BLK/BLK
95 LT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014   #27
Vette92-97

The amps I purchased showed up yesterday and I had a chance this evening to install 2 rear amps and 1 front amp. They were actually the sigma 975 amps not the 075 that I originally thought I purchased. They were plug and play so the install went very quickly. I'm happy to say that the stereo works perfectly with a minimal investment. Thanks to all on this forum for their input and sharing ideas. Without you guys, I would have spent at least $250 to repair the old amps. I'm a very happy camper this evening.

Mike Boggs

94 ZR-1 AB/Blk
92 C4 white/white/white
97 C5 white/blk
Old 06-19-2014   #28
ZR-1 Black Beauty

[QUOTE=Dynomite;184083]My 91' ZR-1 had rebuilt Speaker Amps which were directly soldered to the connector wires with the connector removed.
I replaced those modified Pigtails with Stock Pigtails having the six pin connectors in tact and used 975 Amps Front and Rear. =QUOTE]

My 90 ZR-1 also has the direct soldered wires on the amp. I bought some used Bose amps and stock 6 pin connectors, but realized the wiring (at least the colors) on the soldered amp and the connector are different.

Does anyone know how to match the amp and connector wire colors or at least have a wiring diagram (color and function) for the 1990 soldered amp?

Thanks!
1990 Black ZR-1 #0543
ZR-1 Black Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014   #29
mrand

[QUOTE=ZR-1 Black Beauty;205936]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
My 91' ZR-1 had rebuilt Speaker Amps which were directly soldered to the connector wires with the connector removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I replaced those modified Pigtails with Stock Pigtails having the six pin connectors in tact and used 975 Amps Front and Rear. =QUOTE]

My 90 ZR-1 also has the direct soldered wires on the amp. I bought some used Bose amps and stock 6 pin connectors, but realized the wiring (at least the colors) on the soldered amp and the connector are different.

Does anyone know how to match the amp and connector wire colors or at least have a wiring diagram (color and function) for the 1990 soldered amp?

Thanks!
Hopefully you've already got it figured out, but just for future reference, it looks like the connections are well pictured here:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...post1581564115
Marc
mrand is offline   Reply With Quote