ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-08-2014   #11
LGAFF

Default Re: Using Sea Foam

I was talking with Marc once, he had a car in with no compression on one cylinder....was there for a rebuild. Turned out carbon was preventing the valve from closing, I saw that on the Vette Dr build. Leak down improved about using brake clean on a few valves
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #12
ZRXMAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
In my opinion, it's Snake Oil.

Only snake oil that I ever saw that worked, is Trans-X. It saved me from a $900 tranny rebuild, by swelling the latex seals in the valve bodies of a Ford automatic. That stuff seems to integrate into molecular structure of rubber, and swell it uniformly.

Saw it do the same thing to new rubber LT1 valve cover gaskets, so much so, that they were almost too big.

Not to say that other snake oils don't work, but I've never seen another. And I did all maintenance / fluid changes on my delivery fleet for 20 years.
I can understand your skeptisim. I just went through several cans of Seafoam on a LT5. It went from zero to 210 with much effort. I made a vacuum set up so I could run the motor and trickle it in at 2000 rpm or close to it. Then you dump a bunch and kill the motor. Let it sit for about 10 minutes then start it up and run it hard once underway. Wow ! Talk about fogging for mosquitoes. I also ran water through it while running it at high idle. The steam caused by combustion really makes things turbulent around the exhaust valves. We actually brought the motor all the way back and it runs like a champ now. We were getting close to pulling the heads off.. We got Lucky!
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #13
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I helped somebody use it on a 25 year old clunker once. We fogged the running engine through the brake booster vacuum hose. turned the engine off while still spraying and let it soak for a few minutes. Restarted car and rid my block of mosquitoes.

I've heard some people also mix it in with oil, but I wouldn't ever put a solvent in the crankcase. The method reminded me of fogging my jet-ski two stroke with oil to displace the water after running it. Can't be great for the catalysts and I'm not even sure I'd run the same spark plugs after either. It probably does a decent job on intake valve deposits, but then so does bg-44 type fuel injection treatment.

for the crankcase, the best snake-oil product i have ever run into (that isn't a solvent) is the product by AutoRx.
I'm with Mike... had best luck with BG44 in the past also Techron. I suspect doing the Seafoam direct via a vacuum line is not anymore effective than using water. I've done both. I've seen some spectacular results with Techron via the vacuum method.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote