ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-08-2014   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default 3M clear vinyl sheets

New to me are some clear 3M vinyl sheets that can be cut and applied to rocker panels or bumpers, etc. where there is danger of the paint being chipped.

Anyone familiar with these??
Do they stay put?
How difficult are they to replace - IOW is there sticky residue to contend with??

Paul.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014   #2
Schrade

Default Re: 3M clear vinyl sheets

Not familiar with the product there PW, but I know the producer VERY well (lotta' shares therein, and they've done me well for 16 years ).

I wouldn't think twice about ANY 3M product... Especially if I had new paint!
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014   #3
Racinfan83

Paul - don't know about the 3M ones - but there is a guy here that installs this stuff: http://xpel.com/
Several members of the club I'm in have this and it is almost undetectable unless you look real close. In fact the ones that have gotten new C7's have the guy do this almost before they drive em.
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #4
WVZR-1

3M seems to have recently redone their Paint Protection Film program. It was quite simple previously and you only needed to know and understand the MIL thickness of the products that you were interested in. Now it seems they've changed the program and have done some "branding".

You asked familiar - their products for PPF have done very well through the years and finish results are maybe dependent on the "applicator/installer". Some car manufacturers don't resell pre-cut pieces for particular areas of their vehicles so collision shops have used the 3M products for years to do these.

You asked stay put - until you want them removed they'll be there!

You asked easy to replace - very!

Some of the heavier MIL thicknesses were more difficult to find but auto body supply houses kept the more popular film thicknesses that are used on a daily basis.

Is the auto-mask product offered by many out there a more versatile product? Depends entirely on the brand, the installer and the MIL thickness of the product used and the area you're intending on protecting.

I didn't investigate how the newer program is marketed so I'd suggest you check a local auto body supply house. You should have become quite well acquainted I would have thought with your most recent project.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
3M seems to have recently redone their Paint Protection Film program. It was quite simple previously and you only needed to know and understand the MIL thickness of the products that you were interested in. Now it seems they've changed the program and have done some "branding".

You asked familiar - their products for PPF have done very well through the years and finish results are maybe dependent on the "applicator/installer". Some car manufacturers don't resell pre-cut pieces for particular areas of their vehicles so collision shops have used the 3M products for years to do these.

You asked stay put - until you want them removed they'll be there!

You asked easy to replace - very!

Some of the heavier MIL thicknesses were more difficult to find but auto body supply houses kept the more popular film thicknesses that are used on a daily basis.

Is the auto-mask product offered by many out there a more versatile product? Depends entirely on the brand, the installer and the MIL thickness of the product used and the area you're intending on protecting.

I didn't investigate how the newer program is marketed so I'd suggest you check a local auto body supply house. You should have become quite well acquainted I would have thought with your most recent project.
Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't become quite well acquainted before the body repair shop asked me if I need some film to protect the new paint. Well, I already have begun to collect a couple tiny rock chips - nothing that cant be 100% repaired, but I've no previous experience with the films. It looks like a "no brainer" to me, especially on the rocker panels and the "bleeding edges" of the lower bumper!

I'll be getting some asap!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote