ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 05-08-2014   #1
GOLDCYLON

Unhappy This saddens me

Never forget folks, the first responders to this national tragedy and all the troops along the way.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-dea...ed-in-attacks/
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #2
FU

Default Re: This saddens me

NEVER FORGET.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #3
John Boothby

1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #4
WB9MCW

VERY SAD INDEED

During the time when the World Trade Center was planned and constructed, asbestos was a very prevalent building material. It was highly heat resistant, easy to incorporate into a number of materials and relatively inexpensive. As a result, asbestos-containing products like insulation, drywall, steel and fireproofing materials were incorporated into a number of structures within the World Trade Center buildings. An estimated 400 tons of asbestos were used.

When the Twin Towers collapsed to the ground on September 11, 2001, a massive cloud of smoke, dust and debris released these hazardous asbestos fibers and other toxic substances into the air. Asbestos fireproofing materials from 20 stories of the towers came showering down on New York City. According to reports from the EPA, the implosion from the towers "pulverized asbestos to ultra-fine particles."

The World Trade Center Health Registry estimates about 410,000 people were exposed to a host of toxins including asbestos during the rescue, recovery and clean-up efforts that followed 9/11. People most affected by asbestos at Ground Zero were people assigned to rescue survivors. These workers were among the first on the scene and the last to leave the wreckage. Search and rescue workers and others responsible for cleaning up the debris in the months after the towers collapsed were also exposed to asbestos.

FULL ARTICLE
http://www.asbestos.com/world-trade-center/
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014   #5
FU

The night that the towers fell was a somber one for us. My group of longtime (childhood buddy's) met at our local inn just because we knew . See , we have quite a few NYC LEO's & NYC Firemen in the crew. We are a large group so the chance of losing one or more was high. After being in the establishment patiently waiting too see who made it out. After a few hours I went outside. It was very unusual not to hear anything but fighter jets scrambling across the sky at high speeds. Only to see my then 90 red ZR1 covered with a white powder. WTH ? Rubbed my finger on it and knew exactly what it was , asbestos. Called my wife and had her close the windows in the house and turn the A/C on. She said "I know how you feel but it's a beautiful night tonight. The windows are open". I then told her that there was asbestos in the air and to close the windows and turn the A/C on.

I can tell you stories for hours about what went on during that nightmare. But as you see......writing isn't exactly one of my strong points. And I apologize for the rant.

NEVER FORGET

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237

Last edited by FU; 05-10-2014 at 09:01 AM.
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014   #6
JThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
The night that the towers fell was a somber one for us. My group of longtime (childhood buddy's) met at our local inn just because we knew . See , we have quite a few NYC LEO's & NYC Firemen in the crew. We are a large group so the chance of losing one or more was high. After being in the establishment patiently waiting too see who made it out. After a few hours I went outside. It was very unusual not to hear anything but fighter jets scrambling across the sky at high speeds. Only to see my then 90 red ZR1 covered with a white powder. WTH ? Rubbed my finger on it and knew exactly what it was , asbestos. Called my wife and had her close the windows in the house and turn the A/C on. She said "I know how you feel but it's a beautiful night tonight. The windows are open". I then told her that there was asbestos in the air and to close the windows and turn the A/C on.

I can tell you stories for hours about what went on during that nightmare. But as you see......writing isn't exactly one of my strong points. And I apologize for the rant.

NEVER FORGET
No need for apologizing.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #7
Hog

It sucks that performing your duty leads to such negative consequences. Any true 1st responder, runs into situations that others run from. Highest respects to them and their families.
At least with the civilian 1st responder stats are known. The military isnt so forthcoming with their stats. The Guld War Veterans didnt have it so good either. Such a range of signs/symptoms that the syndrome named Gulf War Syndrome was coined and entered into the medical books.
I guess the Nuclear/Biological/Chemical (NBC) detectors that were pinging and ignored, actually were detecting some nastiness.

Within days of 9/11 American/Canadian Tier 1 Special Operation Forces(SOF) were on the ground overseas. They were the tip of the spear of the offensive operations.
Both countries SOF recieved a US Presidential Citation for their actions "over there"during these early months., even though the Canadian Government wont confirm or deny that Canadian SOF (JTF2)were present.
This is the Presidential Citation that our unit and the US units received for the early ops in Afghanistan.

I found a ditty about the Presidential Citation
The Navy Presidential Unit Citation was established by Executive Order 9050, which was signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt Feb. 6, 1942, and promulgated by Navy Department General Order Number 187 Feb. 3, 1943.
According to Navy regulations, "The Navy Presidential Unit Citation is awarded in the name of the President to units of the Armed Forces of the United States and cobelligerent nations for extraordinary heroism in action against an armed enemy. The unit must have accomplished its mission under such extremely difficult and hazardous conditions to set it apart from and above other units participating in the same campaign. The degree of heroism required is the same as that which would be required for award of a Navy Cross to an individual."
The regulation further stipulates that "Presently, the Navy Cross is awarded to a person who distinguishes himself or herself by extraordinary heroism not justifying the award of the Medal of Honor. To warrant this distinctive decoration, the act or the execution of duty must be performed in the presence of great danger or at great personal risk."

For more information on Naval Special Warfare visit www.seal.navy.mil.

Around this time, our regular forces were training for a possible deployment to Iraq to stand along side the Americans in Iraq. When our Government decided not to support the Iraq war, those same forces went to Afghanistan in Dec 2002 instead to support Operation Anaconda. During this mission a PPCLI(Princess Patricial Canadian Light Infanty) sniper (Arron Perry) broke the Vietnam record of2,526 yards which was set by Marine Carlos Hathcock in Vietnam, in 1968. In March 2002,the Canadian Perry's shot was a confirmed 2,526 yards. This record of longest confirmed combat kill was furthered out to 2,657 yds days later by a sniper team mate Rob Furlong.
Here is Mr Furlongs actual TAC 50 rifle

This record was bested by a British sniper in Helmand Province Afganistan 7 years later with, 2 kills, a 3rd shot hit a 3rd Taliban holding a machine gun. The confirmed distance was 2706yards although it took him 9 shots total to range the targets.

These attacks are the "Pearl Harbour" of the 21st century. Our lives will never be the same again. The ground was American, but the sadness and anger was felt up here in Canada. There were 24 Canadians killed in those towers. I didnt know what to do, I was bouncing off the walls wanting to do something. Then we got the call, its the call that every Military person trains for. No one "wants" war, but in this case, there was no other choice. We were pumped to get our "Black Cadillacs"(what we referred our boots as in the Infantry) sandy.

I'm proud of the job that the Police/Fire/Ambulance services did that day, and every day. Also to those brave folks that perished in flight I'm also proud of the way that our countries came together when NORAD territory was "attacked". I will never forget that day, nor the way that people from all walks of life came together and helped one another.

Highest praises to all 1st responders and all military personel involved. These people deserve any and all support that we as a society can muster. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD) and other mental illnesses as well as the physical illnesses that 1st responders and military people experience deserve the utmost treatment and support.

CANADA

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 05-12-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote