ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-03-2014   #11
Scrrem

Default Re: Valve Guide Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Nothing that extensive is needed, if one is only just going to machine the valve stems to accept the seals. However, some might take the opportunity to "freshen up" the heads by doing a valve job, etc "while you're in there anyway". But, is another matter.

Marc Haibeck prepped my 90 exhaust valves to accept the seals when I was doing the rest of the head work, for a very nominal price, as I recall.

I got my seals from Jerry. No more blue smoke on start-up, unless it has been sitting for some weeks. (I'm thinking some PVC oil could drain down from the plenum. An oil catch can is "in the works" for my car this winter which should address at least some of that too.
Yeah, I'm having the heads ported anyway, so it would be the time to address it, have to see what the cost would be. Yeah, I put a catch can on mine last year, really keeps a good majority of the oil from reaching the plenum.
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
Yeah, I'm having the heads ported anyway, so it would be the time to address it, have to see what the cost would be. Yeah, I put a catch can on mine last year, really keeps a good majority of the oil from reaching the plenum.
Correction: I meant to say the valve GUIDES are what require machining to accept the seals. Fixed on my post (above). My bad.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #13
A26B

If your guides are not worn, then they can be removed, machined for the seal and re-installed. Because it is the same guide in the same hole doesn't necessarily mean it will be concentric with the valve seat. The valve seat may need re-cut to align properly with the valve. Not a big deal. Not unusual for the guide i.d. & o.d. to not be perfectly concentric.

As an aside, all of the new valve guides I have are configured to accept seals. New guides must have the bores reamed to fit the valves. Not a thing wrong with machining/re-using the original guides if not worn.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 02-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #14
Don in VT

My 90 with 52K does not smoke at all at start up.
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #15
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
If your guides are not worn, then they can be removed, machined for the seal and re-installed. Because it is the same guide in the same hole doesn't necessarily mean it will be concentric with the valve seat. The valve seat may need re-cut to align properly with the valve. Not a big deal. Not unusual for the guide i.d. & o.d. to not be perfectly concentric.

As an aside, all of the new valve guides I have are configured to accept seals. New guides must have the bores reamed to fit the valves. Not a thing wrong with machining/re-using the original guides if not worn.
Maybe Marc will chime in here, but I seem to remember him saying he has a jig that will make the necessary groove w/o removing the guide...least that is what I think I recall (but I've slept since then, and it was almost 4 years ago). Hopefully his ears will be burning and prompt him to pop in here and clarify that this item for us.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote