ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-27-2014   #11
Schrade

Default Re: Spec vac draw for PCV's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
You are correct sir about the filters. I stand corrected. what was I thinkin?
Doesn't matter WHAT you were thinkin' there Franke...

Matters only that you're THINKIN'. And readin' it.

Thinkin' is ALWAYS good. It's when stuff comes to ya'...

And I wish some of you guys would read and feedback on the other post #218 in the Throttle Hesitation thread.

...and I'm still thinkin' on PCV oil pullin' through the burn...

Marc acknowledged that a LOT of oil does come through the PCV.

The plenum has a depression right at the PCV inlet port, where the oil collects (Primary butterfly location of course has a little to do with that). And isn't the Charcoal Cannister purge port right next to PCV port? Do the fuel vapors facilitate vaporization of the oil?

Is Duty Cycle of CCP longer and more frequent in LT5, that other GM mills?

If one uses lighter viscosity oil, then oil is gonna' more readily vaporize, and more readily pull from the crankcase, through PCV - correct?

An ACCURATE oil level is imperative too, since too much oil gets foamed up by the crankshaft spinning through it???

__________________________________________________ _

Do oil catch cans have to be emptied?

If so (or even if not), could a check valve be integrated into the can, to allow the accumulated oil to be purged through CCP?

Could CCP Duty Cycle be re-coded to accommodate this???
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 01-27-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #12
Dynomite

Here is what I am thinking
Just Do It. But in this case Do Not DO IT

PCV System TIPS

Do use an oil catch can

See item#5. LT5 Added Systems

Details for Oil Catch Can Installation

Say Schrade........tell Daryll (GC) I am in Kauai Hawaii today. He is always wondering where I am.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #13
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff
2. Crankcase Area.
The Crankcase is vented upward through the two large "L" hoses connecting the Cylinder Case vents to the Injector Housing Ports located under the Plenum. This allows the piston ring Blow By to be vented to the Injector Housing.
Does ring blow-by go through the burn, to exhaust?

Hawaii. Pffft...

Not enough Global Warming in SD???

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 01-27-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2014   #14
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Does ring blow-by go through the burn, to exhaust?

Hawaii. Pffft...

Not enough Global Warming in SD???

Ring blow by goes into crankcase and then to plenum via PCV then burn then exhaust.
10 below zero this morning in SD ........70 in Kauai Hawaii.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #15
bradley

what I have found with my 2 cars if I run the oil level right at the add line .I burn about 1/2 qt in 3000miles . when I first got both cars I ran the oil level all the way up and had to add oil about every 1000 miles . jmho
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014   #16
Franke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley View Post
what I have found with my 2 cars if I run the oil level right at the add line .I burn about 1/2 qt in 3000miles . when I first got both cars I ran the oil level all the way up and had to add oil about every 1000 miles . jmho
I was wondering the same thing as I used to do that in my other vehicles for that very reason but since some newer cars have oil level indicators and warranty stuff I stopped. I don't think my 90 has a oil level indicator in the crankcase or does it?
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #17
bradley

my 90 doesn't but my 92 does . filling the way I shared I have never had the low oil level light come on in the 92. I have cked it to make sure it still works . I have been changing the oil in both my zr1s this way for almost 120k miles. yes I drive both cars as much as I can .lol what I do when I change the oil is put in 7.5 qts start her up for 20 seconds . then the next morning add what ever I need to to bring it up to just above the add line . usually it isn't very much at all maybe 1/3 qt
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014   #18
Schrade

Experimentation and new stuff [ideas] ! Looks like a summation of just about every one of my posts there Mr. P!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Performance is quantifiable, sound is more subjective.

Performance wise, Marc suggests the Corsa with headers, sans cats, if allowed. The package delivers performance gains w/o resonance (I'm told), but they do have a "tinny" sound that some like and others do not.

The 3" Magnaflow system gives a nice, deep tone w/o resonance. However, the resonator chokes down the inlet to a single ≈ 3" perforated tube running the length of the resonator. Furthermore, there are several abrupt(!) choke and sudden transition points throughout the Magnaflow system (6 on the right side, 5 on the left) (which I believe any flow dynamics expert will tell us is NOT conducive to performance. FWIW).

The B&B has evolved from a pretty much wide open 3" cat-back with significant drone in the 1900-2200 rpm range, to a more restrictive system and "lesser" drone.

Pete, ever experimenting to get the most hp, is running a modified version of the earlier B&B system with Watson headers, and now using the NPP valves to control in-cabin drone. (The word is he can now carry on a conversation since installing the NPPs. Others too have gone that route and agree). Nobody is going to convince Pete that a Corsa is better for performance.

Experimenting goes on. I'm a Warrior (at least in my mind and I try to be) which means I'll put up with a little racket if there's hp to be made.*
* or tune to improve upon

Quote:
I've watched the FBI efforts with great interest, and I believe the gurus have come up with what I consider the best of both worlds - to date at least:

The system that impresses me is the headers (SW or Watson), sans cats, SW type X pipe, no resonator, the Dynamax 17228 muffs with the NPP type gate affixed to one of the two active muffler outlets.** It is a true 3" system from the header collectors to the muffler inlets for least restriction and max performance, and the valve on one of the muffler outlets reduces resonance to a very tolerable level. What's not to like???

I'm not sure what Marc's setup is, but I don't believe it is a Corsa. And, I know he likes quiet for normal driving and has a pair of the Flowmaster dual outlet muffs on the back with 4-bolt flanges on the inlet side so they can be easily removed at the track. A variation of that is to install cut-outs just behind the differential which is perhaps an alternative to the NPP and perhaps just as effective.

Fact is, all of them are a compromise in some respect. Sound, vs. performance, vs. cost...
Always room for more experimentation - and new "stuff"!
YUP - always room for improvement... You are correct Sir!

======================

So to get back on topic here, and not boost my own thread ...

Problem is oil fouling the burn. Objective is filtering the oil / fumes, sans the 'old' way (catch can).

PCV SOURCE air comes in from IN FRONT of the TB butterfly.

PCV purge is BEHIND the butterfly.

With 2 LARGER vacuums 'feeding' (??? ) the cam covers (and another vacuum besides, pulling EVAP), and one smaller vacuum PURGING PCV, WHAT'S THE NET VAC DIFFERENCE???

And how much vacuum is necessary to maintain purge?

If only a nominal amount is necessary, then we REDUCE the source ports, move the purge up front of the air filter, and increase the line size enough to maintain pressure differential.

Thoughts? Opinions? More ideas here?

Always thinking; experimenting ...