ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-07-2013   #11
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Smart 'device', dedicated to data display...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
DEDICATED to DATA DISPLAY. as in ... NOT a phone any longer

PERMANENT - mounted to the dash / console.

I guess those words can be AMBIGUOUS. I should have made myself more clear in original post.

(couldn't tell if one post was facetious or serious.. ( anyway, do new cars' display show pulsewidth? EVAP purge cycle? etc.?) )
Okay.. has it been done with OBD1.. not to my knowledge, but I am pretty sure my post still addressed some of the pieces, You still have not answered if you need it to actually record the data, if so how fast?

Why not just a CarPC in place of the stereo then your choice of datalogger.. that will work too.

This is something I have wanted to try, just not sure when I would get to it. I have seen one where it would display but not record the data that would essentially be permanent

The Issue that could potentially be there is the Datalogger has to silence the CCM for the fast as fast can be logging, on a permanent install I am not sure how well the car would react all the time to that, so that is an unknown.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #12
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
.... snip...
The Issue that could potentially be there is the Datalogger has to silence the CCM for the fast as fast can be logging, on a permanent install I am not sure how well the car would react all the time to that, so that is an unknown.
I'm confused by both statements.
"silence CCM" ?
"permanent install ...... react" ?

I have a diacom ( ODB I to PC connector and ap) that has been connected before while driving. No issues.
Data can be logged and saved as you drive.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #13
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
I'm confused by both statements.
"silence CCM" ?
"permanent install ...... react" ?

I have a diacom ( ODB I to PC connector and ap) that has been connected before while driving. No issues.
Data can be logged and saved as you drive.
Yes, same with my EASE. But I found with ease it is sending different messages then what has been exposed to many of us..

Tunerpro uses different messages and gets the same result, but with tunerpro I remember having issues with losing packets of data.. not a ton, but quite a few.

Silencing the CCM is something that is done in tunerpro to stop the chatter on the serial line for data packets to be sent. It would be nice to see a Portmon log while running Diacom to see what commands are being sent and if the CCM is still chattering as well. I have not touched any of my Communication stuff from our cars in years honestly.. I would need to plug it back in and see where I left off.

I did find this: http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=305 that could easily be adapted to our cars and it is permanent or could be.. but there is no logging.

Another thought would be using a Rasberry Pi and making a datalogger that works in Linux
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #14
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Yes, same with my EASE. But I found with ease it is sending different messages then what has been exposed to many of us..

Tunerpro uses different messages and gets the same result, but with tunerpro I remember having issues with losing packets of data.. not a ton, but quite a few.

Silencing the CCM is something that is done in tunerpro to stop the chatter on the serial line for data packets to be sent. It would be nice to see a Portmon log while running Diacom to see what commands are being sent and if the CCM is still chattering as well. I have not touched any of my Communication stuff from our cars in years honestly.. I would need to plug it back in and see where I left off.

I did find this: http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=305 that could easily be adapted to our cars and it is permanent or could be.. but there is no logging.

Another thought would be using a Rasberry Pi and making a datalogger that works in Linux
Looks like some work has been done in that direction (Raspberry Pi)
at: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...t=aldl#p106819

I wonder though, if this project were a "permanent" addition to the instrument cluster whether a more invasive approach wouldn't be better. Rather than using the UART approach in Dig 7 on the ALDL of the lukeskaff link why not open the serial line (using a solid state relay) between the ECM and CCM under program control from the smartphone (or whatever used) ?

But backing up a bit I wonder if loss of packets is all that important.
For purposes of simply reporting to the car driver what's going on with key systems I wonder if the loss couldn't be characterized and normalized out of the way?

I know the diacom operates at 600 b to get the 160b data.
Now that I think back (to 1999) it does drop stuff now and then.
The data I did get was still very useful. (~98% accurate)

Certainly developing a retro ODB I for our cars would not be profitable but sure would be interesting and of great use toward sustaining the ZR-1 into the future. This could be a long term slow moving target for a virtual ZR-1 Net Registry team to tackle.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote