ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-31-2012   #11
tomtom72

Default Re: Texas Mile - Oct 2012

Congratulations!

That is an awesome performance by you and your ZR-1!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #12
ZR1dogan

Guys, sorry for the belated replies here - Wore Out tired and Busy at Work.
i've been following this on twitter but i didn't see anything about a zr-1.
Yea, Saturday was VERY SLOW. I got there at 11:00 am on Sat and was only able to make one pass and that was a license qualifying pass where you have to go between 140 and 165. All my good runs were on Sunday afternoon.
Nice run! What's hp of the car?
It dynoed 522 rwhp before I put the 3" BB with an X pipe and the Dynomax mufflers. Corey told me that should be worth at least another 10 hp.
Did anyone get a video of it?
I doubt it. All my good runs were Sunday afternoon and I think most of the video guys were gone by then. Gearhead Flicks was still there (I hitched a golf cart ride with one of them), but I think they are hired out by someone, and it wasn't me. If I had known I was going to go 186 I would have hired 'em, but until Sunday afternoon, it wasn't going well.
That's the LPE 385 Admiral Blue, right Robin? Kevin's old car?
Yea Kevin. I bought it from Kevin. The original owner that had the Lingenfelter work done was Don Betterbed from New Jersey.
What is RWHP & mods??? What gears? 170 is about readline in 5th with 4.10's, 170 in mile is STRONG but 186 WOW!!!
LPE 385 Mods done in 1996.
4.09 rear gear. On my second pass, I had a shift light at about the 3/4 mile marker. I didn't install the shift light but it has a 6.8 marker on it, so I think the light is set for 6800. I'm thinking "Man, there is no way I can go a whole 1/4 mi with a shift light on" so I shifted to 6th - 177.6 - Dissapointed. Ted Zaleski was there with his ZR1 (he has several ZR-1's so knows our transmission ratios). We compared thoughts and it began to look like with the tires I had (26" dia) and the 4.09 gear, I might just have the wrong combination to make 180+. Everything that I could think of doing to go faster, just got me to 6th gear quicker (effectively terminal velocity). I'm thinking - CRAP!!! All this work to get here, conditions perfect and I need a different gear. I had not done a calculation to see what rpm I would need. CRAP! CRAP!
Well, only one thing left to do. I decided to stay in 5th and either hit the rev limiter or make a good run. The next 3 runs were 186.3 (I was ELATED!!), 185.5 (had a bad shift), 186.6 (about as good as I could do without speed shifting). My math says that with a 26" tire 186.6 is 7400 rpm, so my rev limiter is above that. Thank Goodness!!
I think it's the LPE 385 that John L used in the first Vette Viper races.
The story goes JL kick the S@%* out of John Hennessey Viper.
Yea, in 1996 JL beat Hennessey in his Viper Venom 550 GT-S heads up 11.44 vs 11.94 (Hennessey lit up the tires) and with their best times of the day 11.21 vs. 11.4. It was Hennessey’s first outing with that engine package, but on that day, this ZR-1 with JL was faster than Hennessey in his new Viper Venom.

Thanks for the cudos guys. I will admit to being proud of that speed.

Robin
94 Dark Red - Almost Stock
94 Admiral Blue - Not Stock
ZR1dogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012   #13
RICKYRJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo-1 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdzlqDxLKSA

I think it's the LPE 385 that John L used in the first Vette Viper races.
The story goes JL kick the S@%* out of John Hennessey Viper.

Damn I should have bought that Vette....

I remember when it went up for sale years ago, I thought the same thing. I had just bought my black 95 then this AB pops up. I would have sold my 95 for this one. well at least she is being put to good use!
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote