ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-06-2012   #1
Dime

Default Car cover/car protection

My z lives at my parents house where it stays in the garage and is only allowed out when the weather in nice. I've been debating wether or not to get the best cover money can by so that I can keep it at my house.

Does anyone have any tips suggestions or experience keeping there z outside but protected enough to were you couldn't tell it's ever been outside?

I probably won't end up doing this, these cars are far to special, but I'd like to know what my options could be.
Old 09-06-2012   #2
BlackbirdZ07

Default Re: Car cover/car protection

Car covers are a PITA, especially if you drive the car often. I used to keep my black '92 LT-1 outside quite a bit, and I found pretty much the perfect cover system that did what you want... most of the time you couldn't tell it wasn't in the garage. I got a Covercraft Weathershield cover, which is almost waterproof and very light. It really was a great cover, but it would blow around in the wind. They make Weathershield HP and HD now that may be better. But I also had an old Evolution 4 cover, which was a lot thicker. I put that OVER the weathershield. Together they were waterproof and would not blow around in the wind. Most of the time I could put them on and take them off together so it was like one cover. It worked really well. Hopefully you're in a safe neighborhood so you don't have to worry about security.
BlackbirdZ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012   #3
DaveK

Mine lives in a "portable garage" right now, they're not bad and it's probably better protection than a cover if you have a bit of space. They come in a variety of sizes from single car up.

Mine is similar to this

From a place called cover-tech
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012   #4
Paul in SC

My '91 saw a lot of time outdoors when I lived in NJ. I covered it with an Evolution 4 and it worked real well in sun, rain and snow. Snow was always a b++ch, but it protected it nicely. Brush off with a snow brush and peel it off. I would throw it in the bathtub to dry unless the weather cleared that I could hang it up outside. I used a bungee cord (2 HD actually together) to connect the grommets under the doors. If the weather was extra tough, I would use ratcheted straps fore and aft to hold the cover in place.

Paul
1993 ZR-1 - "The Green Thing", LPE/LSV 385; 2021 HTC, Red Mist Metallic, Cool gray interior, stainless dual stripes; ZR-1 Net Registry #1376

Last edited by Paul in SC; 09-06-2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: typo
Paul in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012   #5
tpr60

You got to keep in mind that any moisture under the car will evaporate upwards and be caught under the car cover. You will get some surface corrosion and rust on any car left out side with a car cover on it. Been there / done that.
tpr60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012   #6
Paul in SC

Yeah...I NEVER left it on wet for any length of time. Especially if rain is followed by sun...NOT GOOD.

Same actually goes for a bra of any kind as well...
1993 ZR-1 - "The Green Thing", LPE/LSV 385; 2021 HTC, Red Mist Metallic, Cool gray interior, stainless dual stripes; ZR-1 Net Registry #1376
Paul in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #7
Hib Halverson

I did a series on car care for the CAC web site a couple of years ago and during the research for that series I tested some car covers.

For indoor storage, the best I've used was a Dustop cover made by California Car Cover Co.

A number of cover makers use Dustop but they way California Car Cover manufacturers their stuff has me sold. The cover fit my 95 perfectly. The cover is easy to take care off and it's made in USA.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #8
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
I did a series on car care for the CAC web site a couple of years ago and during the research for that series I tested some car covers.

For indoor storage, the best I've used was a Dustop cover made by California Car Cover Co.

A number of cover makers use Dustop but they way California Car Cover manufacturers their stuff has me sold. The cover fit my 95 perfectly. The cover is easy to take care off and it's made in USA.
Hib for indoor did you run into any that you would avoid at all cost?
How about one that is best for the price/
What I need is a reasonably cheap one to put on when I know there is about to be some dust. I don't want my good one to catch the dust like what just happened. Now I have to visit the BIG wash machine at the laundromat.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012   #9
Dime

It also seems like you see a lot of pictures of cars at storage facilities. Has anyone had any experience with this, or have any opinion of wether it's a good or bad idea?