ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-10-2012   #11
scottfab

Default Re: Missing vacuum line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcorvette View Post
Just before biting the bullet and pulling the plenum I decided to use my mini flex camera and look under the plenum. AH HA! There the little digger was and it was doing exactly what everyone said----going to the rear of the plenum. Looked again from the back of the engine and couldn't see the pipe. Flex mini cam to the rear and trace the pipe.

Found it!!! It was neatly cello taped to the bottom side of the big wire bundle at the back of the engine so it could not be seen from above. Would have NEVER seen it without the camera or pulling the plenum.
You didn't by chance get the mini cam at Harbor Freight? If not where and how much?

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #12
captcorvette

I only wish I could get items shipped to me over here from Harbour freight, Sears and on and on. But usually not possible. Ordered this from a local company that imports items from all over the world. This one is from one of the suppliers for computer devices. If memory serves it was just under $200. Works quiet well but does require a computer so I use my net book or note book depending what other issues I am chasing at the time. Netbook is better as it more easily one hand held while the other hand fiddles with the camera.

For the first time since I have owned this car it appears to be working about 90% of what it should do. The secondaries are coming on and the power is noticeable.

Still has:
high idle,
hesitation on throttle application
missing under load
feels like retarded timing
noise at idle like a preignition and perhaps a bit of a chain rattle?
during day time the information panel is dim turn park lights on it the panel is readable. Have checked two grounds (battery and front of car) both are good
shifting is stiff sort of feels like and old international harvester tractor shifting

BUT I am very happy to have made this much progress. Plan on driving it a bit to give it a bit of use then tomorrow check plugs, wires and check all fluids again after a couple of hundred miles use.

Put the scanner on it on the way home this evening and NO CODES! Hot Dog! But I keep getting an error reading when I try to take data readings hope to sort that out tomorrow as I think it might be a dodgy OBDII receptacle as it is just hanging there and not fitted in the proper manner.

If you notice a particular bright glow from over on this side of the world it might be from this grin.
captcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #13
ghlkal

Quote:
Just before biting the bullet and pulling the plenum I decided to use my mini flex camera and look under the plenum.
Ingenious! Cool solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcorvette
during day time the information panel is dim turn park lights on it the panel is readable. Have checked two grounds (battery and front of car) both are good
I have this same issue. I haven't pulled the dash yet to check the lights, but in addition to the grounds I'm wondering if the light sensor could be causing this problem.
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #14
SteelBlueZR1

Likely light sensor is your problem. Try cleaning it with Q tip and Windex. Also, you may have burnt out bulbs in your instrument panel. I have taken mine out twice, and it turns out my problem was the polarized coating on the LCD screen was sunburnt... I bought polarization film and cut it to size and now my LCD speedometer, et al. is showing dark crisp numerals vs. dim greyed out digits.
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #15
BlackbirdZ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
You didn't by chance get the mini cam at Harbor Freight? If not where and how much?
I got one at Costco last year for $150. I noticed they had them again around Christmas. It's made by Whistler, has about a 3' cable with another 3' extension. It has a little LED light on the end where the camera is so it lights up what you're looking at. It also has a wireless feature and digital recording.

I couldn't account for a screw during my plenum pull, and I used the camera to look down into the ports of the injector housings to make sure it wasn't down there. I later found the screw in my tool box, but the camera worked great! You might ask at Costco if they can get one.
BlackbirdZ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #16
RHanselman

I will be out there sometime before the end of the year. I'll check with you before I leave to see if I can bring you anything. I can also take a look at some of those pesky problems...

Cheers,
Ron
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #17
captcorvette

That is great news Ron. Hopefully I can make some progress on the pesky problems in the continuous learning process of having this toy. Bring your appetite eh?
Old 05-11-2012   #18
tomtom72

Quote:

Still has:
high idle,
hesitation on throttle application
missing under load
feels like retarded timing
noise at idle like a preignition and perhaps a bit of a chain rattle?
shifting is stiff sort of feels like and old international harvester tractor shifting

Put the scanner on it on the way home this evening and NO CODES! Hot Dog! But I keep getting an error reading when I try to take data readings hope to sort that out tomorrow as I think it might be a dodgy OBDII receptacle as it is just hanging there and not fitted in the proper manner.

If you notice a particular bright glow from over on this side of the world it might be from this grin.
Okay, so I'm going to take a stab at your shortening list!
You first need to square away your data cable and the ALDL plug in the car as you will need to see what the motor is doing at idle at least. That said I'll submit the following:
High Idle: TPS out of adjustment, sticking blades in T/B, vacuum leak.
Hesitation: TPS, vacuum leak, bad ign sys components, bad electrical connections @ sensors and or battery also check engine grounds.
Missing under load: How much load? WOT? or just 1/2 throttle, or just all the time? Anyway: ign. system components, TPS, vac. leak, fuel system, injectors & wiring. It's easy to pinch the injector wires as it's tight in there. Ask Jim about that one.
Retarded Timing: flat or bogs or just not too much response to the go pedal, could be your miss is all the time so go up one and look over that stuff.
Noise like spark knock = Dual Mass flywheel rattling in response to the miss.
I can't help with the LCD as mine does the same thing and I'm no good at this electronic stuff!

Transmission: what is the condition of the fluid, what type of fluid; what is the condition of the clutch hydraulic system and it's fluid? I use the Castrol stuff and when it's down around 40*F or less the trans needs some time to come to temp. If the clutch fluid is cloudy then that affects the release of the P/plate and thus the shifting. That's just a fwiw....unless the trans is out of alignment?

Sorry to be so long winded!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #19
captcorvette

I like long winded. Have been called verbose myself which is most likely true.

Will address each point you have raised and see the results then post up a reply on what was found, action taken and then results. Thanks.
Wayne
Old 05-12-2012   #20
tomtom72

Well, Mr. Verbosity I presume? I'm Mr. Blowhard, pleased to make your acquaintance!

We will all hang in there till we get your Z back to her old self!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote