ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-08-2012   #1
Torchred96

Default Purge solenoid operation ..quick question

I don't have it in front of me right now cuz I'm at work, but I believe there are two nipples on the solenoid. does it matter which one goes to the charcoal canister and which one goes vacuum, or does it just allow the fumes to pass through when the solenoid valve is open in either direction...which of course would then go to vacuum...

Is that correct or are there connections I'm not remembering and/or it DOES matter which nipple gets vaccuum and which charcoal cannister.
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: Purge solenoid operation ..quick question

IIRC, when the solenoid is energized, it's connecting the two nipples together, allowing the intake vacuum to draw in vapors from the charcoal canister. So, it really shouldn't matter which nipple is connected to what. However, as mounted in the LT5, the nipple closest to the electrical connector is routed to the inlet just behind the throttle body, where as the nipple farther from the electrical connector, is connected to the charcoal canister.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #3
Torchred96

Great. I didnt think it mattered but I wanted to be sure. I'll just hook it up as you say. cliff confirmed via pm as well.

Very excited about getting this back together. Been apart too long.
Old 01-10-2012   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchred96 View Post
Great. I didnt think it mattered but I wanted to be sure. I'll just hook it up as you say. cliff confirmed via pm as well.

Very excited about getting this back together. Been apart too long.
I'm actually getting excited for ya as well!

But, as far as being apart "too long"... Pete, Lee, Dominic, Bob G, Al, myself and some others - here in FBI territory - could give you an whole new perspective on "apart too long".

Maybe I missed it, but I assume Marc is providing you a chip, yes?

Well, good luck. Have fun. And, you aren't going to believe the difference its going to make. It'll purr like a kitten in traffic, and rip some heads off when you stick your foot in it!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #5
Torchred96

Hey Paul, First, thanks for all the encouragement/motivation and the informative posts. I've learned a lot reading them (er, the ones I have the ability to understand). Yes i have Marc's chip, and there's a lot I should explain. But the bottom line is that the engine is going back together with some unfinished business.

The mods that I did are spt deleted and shafts removed/plugged, , IH and plenum ported and matched to the gasket, IH coolant block, and finally, powder coated the IH, plenum, tb, coolant pipes and air horn.

The unfinished business is that #1, I believe the chip tune will have to be modified again because I had planned for headers, but not the porting. #2, I decided to wait on match porting the heads/IH until next time I go in (my hands are DONE) which will be soon of course and finally (surrrre), I will be looking to purchase the headers and finish the PC on the cam covers.

I'm aware that this could/will cause the engine to run lean No? Therefore, there won't be to many, if any, full throttle runs until it's all done. I'm thinking that a few light throttle cruises will let me know if all is well and to proceed with the plan and hopefully will not hurt anything....thoughts??

Taking it back down should be pretty quick with all the systems deleted and knowing I've been there done that already. Plus, my garage really would like to get back to normal for a few weeks

Last edited by Torchred96; 01-10-2012 at 02:47 PM.