ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-15-2011   #31
tomtom72

Default Re: 368 parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I can't do any of that myself, so I'm SOL
I agree Dave! God, it was soooo much simpler on my 72 LT-1 to create extra power! I don't even know a machine shop that I would trust in my neck of the woods to do a simple valve job on a set of LT5 heads!

I suppose I should go hang out at the ricer shows....them guys should know where the machine shops are to get DOHC/4V alum. motors done right?
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #32
DaveK

Tom. I don't trust the local GM dealer to touch my Z! Seriously, they haven't got a clue. The only work they ever did for me was install a set of speedometer correction gears when I first bought the car (it came with 4.10s but the correction hadn't been done).

It took them 5 days to do it, they insisted some gasket needed changing at the same time (despite Marc H's advice to the opposite) then they managed to destroy the replacement gasket and had to order a second. On top of that they found the oil pan was leaking and said I needed a new oil pan gasket. From this wonderful forum I found that often the pan bolts come loose so I suggested they check those and tighten them.

When I finally got the car back I found that they had thrown the original speedo gear in the trash (I made them retrieve it) and then they said, "oh and its still leaking". I asked if they had checked the pan bolts and they hadn't. I checked them at home, they were loose - tightened them and the leak "magically" vanished.

So anything that I can't do myself now will go to someone who knows what they are doing - JVD, Marc H etc. even if it involves driving half a continent

Oh and later when I found my VSS was failing I bought one and just installed it myself.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff

Last edited by DaveK; 02-15-2011 at 09:43 AM.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #33
flyin ryan

Post Heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
I agree Dave! God, it was soooo much simpler on my 72 LT-1 to create extra power! I don't even know a machine shop that I would trust in my neck of the woods to do a simple valve job on a set of LT5 heads!

I suppose I should go hang out at the ricer shows....them guys should know where the machine shops are to get DOHC/4V alum. motors done right?
If you guys are running into that much of a problem not knowing or trusting anyone in your area to deal with your heads & your willing to ship, I'll do them for you.
Old 02-15-2011   #34
LGAFF

Talking Re: Heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
If you guys are running into that much of a problem not knowing or trusting anyone in your area to deal with your heads & your willing to ship, I'll do them for you.
For Free! Thats nice of you Ryan!
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011   #35
DaveK

Thanks for the offer Ryan, much appreciated - personally I'm a long way off doing anything like this just now so it's not a critical thing. Most general maintenance I can handle myself. Working on getting the garage in to allow me to do a few more of the basic upgrades.

Actual engine work - porting, cams etc. I would always have to look elsewhere for - I don't have the skills or facilities for that kind of work.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

Old 02-15-2011   #36
flyin ryan

Post No problem...

I'll ignore Lee's remarks....Wouldn't expect anything else .

I'm not looking for work but just sayin', if you guys are having trouble finding someone you trust, no biggie, I can take care of them, if need be.
Old 02-15-2011   #37
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: No problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
I'll ignore Lee's remarks....Wouldn't expect anything else .

I'm not looking for work but just sayin', if you guys are having trouble finding someone you trust, no biggie, I can take care of them, if need be.

Ryan thats a fine offer to the community. Having met locobob and following Dynamites heads update I dont think I have the time, tools and patience as its a hellva lot of work. Bob is always busy busy busy so I might send you my heads when the time comes if Bobs too busy. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #38
tomtom72

Lee, sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Ryan, Thank You. I don't know what else to say except that it's for sure the people in our band of brothers that make this a special place to be. Thanks. I like Dave will not be taking anything apart....I don't own a garage, never reassembled an LT5, & to be truthful if it doesn't itch, I ain't gonna scratch! If I can do it in my parking space then fine, if not I look for some one I trust to do the simple stuff.

Dave, I've been lucky, sort of, with dealers in that they have been honest with me & my Z. General repairs like suspension & maintenance results have been very good experiences. They always have been fair and when it comes to the motor the Techs have been honest...."I hope this lasts like GM said it would because we can't help you with internal motor issues." or I get this one a lot..." Wow, is this that Lotus motor!? I've never even seen one of these!" .... or from the few Techs not retired that are my age...." Oh man I haven't seen one of these cars in 10 or 15 years." I can't speak badly about people that are at least up front with me.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011   #39
DaveK

Also apologies for inadvertent hi-jacking.

The GM Dealer here has a very bad reputation with everyone in our local club. I think the only business they get is from cars under warranty.

More on topic, I have the experience to rebuild engines (though no place to take on such a job right now. But when it comes to grinding heads/plenums etc. I would be entirely lost. If I could program my PC to do it I might stand a chance

I love seeing what you guys do though - it's fascinating to see the LT5 being extended and improved in so many ways and getting an insight in to how far these incredible engines can be pushed. But I'll be leaving any of those mods to people with the knowledge and experience to do them properly.

As the great Inspector Callahan said "It's a wise man who knows his limitations"!
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

Old 02-16-2011   #40
Polo-1

Lee dont care.. He's getting a set of 368 pistons from me ( almost free).
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote