ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-14-2003   #1
Anonymous

Default actuator stroke

while replacing a injector housing gasket, I decided to rig a switch to open secondarys to make sure they were working correctly. Vaccum pump was checked first for correct vacuum. When switch was energized butterflys opened slowly to about 5/8 open position, about 2 1/2 seconds to open. Butterfly linkage is not binding. I next unhooked linkage from actuators and energized switch,to see how the actuator stroke matched up with the actual distance needed to open butterflys. I does not have enough stroke!!! what??? If linkage is placed in hole closest to actuator then everything works great and fast, but butterflys will be aprox 25% open. Anyone had this prob?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003   #2
Anonymous

Smoking:Some linkage were instaled wrong from the Factory 180degree Off try turning it .
Old 12-14-2003   #3
Anonymous

SmokingZ:PROBLEM - Secondary actuators not openning all the way CORRECTION - In the original LT5 engines from GM it has been found that some of the actuators are maybe upside down causing the actuators not to open fully. The fix is to just turn them upside down. According to Gordon Killebrew: "If the actuator lever, that extends from the center opening of the actuator and is attached to the bladder within the actuator, is sitting at an angle, it is 180 degrees out of correct position (on backwards). The actuator lever end that is attached to the actuator diaphragm should be pointed to the center of the engine. When installed correctly the lever is in a straight line with the port throttle arm." However to correctly determine if they are openning correctly or not is to remove the plenum and use a vacuum gauge to measure how much vacuum it takes to open them. Check your Corvette Service Manual for correct specs. The second problem is the new actuators from GM (the diaphragm piece is red) are not built correctly. The problem is the spring is not centered on the post in the back of the can. The actuators either have the spring on the post or off to the side. The one's that are off to the side bind as the arm is drawn in. They are either good (spring on the post) or bad (spring off to the side). There's no in-between. NOTE that the arm must retract into the can all of the way to the taper on the arm for full opening of the secondaries. Credit to the ZR1-net issues. uunder Maintenance
Old 12-14-2003   #4
Anonymous

thanks for the info on actuators, I actual figured out the rotation part, I wonder how many zr1 are out there that are not opening up all the way.