ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-16-2021   #1
emorse

Default Exhaust System Recommendation

HI, New member with a 1991 ZR-1, 15,000 miles. Considering upgrading exhaust system (maybe just axle back change out). Want a nice Corvette sound but not too loud. Seeking suggestions on recommended providers, ie. Borla, Flowmaster, etc. Thanks.
emorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: Exhaust System Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorse View Post
HI, New member with a 1991 ZR-1, 15,000 miles. Considering upgrading exhaust system (maybe just axle back change out). Want a nice Corvette sound but not too loud. Seeking suggestions on recommended providers, ie. Borla, Flowmaster, etc. Thanks.
Lots of posts here and on other Corvette forums; the search function is your friend. Having said that, the only real bugaboo with aftermarket exhaust systems is the presence or absence of resonance or "drone". I recommend leaving the cats in place if you want a slightly quieter sound (and a car that doesn't smell on startup); it sounds like what you are seeking is a cat back system anyway so that should not be an issue. I did most of my exhaust system research a long time ago and I am certain the technology to reduce drone has improve a great deal by now. I had Corsas on both my ZR-1s for many years after trying several others. I really liked the sound and at the time besides the stock exhaust they were the best at eliminating resonance, but I understand several others now also do a good job at that. On my '95 I finally went back to a stock exhaust system and added QTP exhaust cutouts just in front of the mufflers (Marc Haibeck did the work) thereby preserving my spare tire carrier. Allowed me to have a stock-quiet system when I wanted it and anything up to wide open pipes at other times. I normally left the cutouts about one third open for a good sound. Several posts on this here and elsewhere. Also there are probably some good used systems out there that could be shipped since they break down into component pieces. Keep an eye on the parts for sale sections of the forums. The car wil sound much better with a louder exhaust; it is just a matter of how loud you want it and do you want it that way all the time. Good luck with your ZR-1. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 06-17-2021 at 09:56 AM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021   #3
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorse View Post
I was in the same shoes as you a few years back. I have a '90, no mods. Wanted a bit more of the "Corvette Sound", but nothing obnoxious.
After weighing info gathered from several "ZR-1 guys", keeping in mind performance benefits and sound, I went with the Corsa system.
I set it up to mount just like the stock exhaust, so it is just about a 30 minute job to swap from the Corsa to stock if one wanted.
After using it a while, I would give the Corsa a thumbs up
Cheers
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021   #4
jw63

I put on a Corsa system with factory cats a few months ago, and could not be happier. I do not miss the stock system at all. Sound is perfect in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
'90 #413 Red/Red Sold
'90 #1583 Red/Red
jw63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021   #5
dredgeguy

I have a 92 with Stainless Works headers and Stainless Works high flow cats and Corsa....love the sound. Quiet but when you hit 3500 rpm+ they let people know it is time to play. No drone at any speed.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021   #6
tccrab

I have the Flowmaster system on my '90, and can't be happier.
No drone and i can hear myself think inside the car until i hit the go pedal. Then its plenty noisy for my likes.
Someday i will do something about the exhaust tips, although quite functional, they are a little plain to my eye.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021   #7
aod

Another vote for Corsa. They sound amazing at all RPMs, zero drone, and stealthy when you are cruising. Eventually I had Marc Haibeck add some high flow cats to them and install my stainless works long tube headers. It all sounds great:

https://youtu.be/uUQZr-xkbXc
aod is offline   Reply With Quote