ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-12-2017   #1
billschroeder5842

Default Water pump bolts backing out? Huh?

I had an odd thing happen today to my normally bullet proof 91.

I got in to start the car for my 17 mile commute home and and once running heard a loud CLICK-CLICK-CLICK from the engine. The CLICKS would speed for slow depending on the RPM.

I thought it might be a alternator going bad but further inspection show that not one or two, but 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the pulley on to the water pump had significantly backed out at least half to 3/4 of an inch. Clearly this was the cause of the CLICKS

I was able to put an open end wrench on the bolts and crank them down good. I restarted the can and sounded normal as per usual. I checked when I got home and no issues.

So, what would cause 3 (!) bolts to back out? I keep pretty good tabs on the engine but this one has me confused as it seemed to "come out of nowhere."

Anyone else have bolts back out of the water pump?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Water pump bolts backing out? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
I had an odd thing happen today to my normally bullet proof 91.

I got in to start the car for my 17 mile commute home and and once running heard a loud CLICK-CLICK-CLICK from the engine. The CLICKS would speed for slow depending on the RPM.

I thought it might be a alternator going bad but further inspection show that not one or two, but 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the pulley on to the water pump had significantly backed out at least half to 3/4 of an inch. Clearly this was the cause of the CLICKS

I was able to put an open end wrench on the bolts and crank them down good. I restarted the can and sounded normal as per usual. I checked when I got home and no issues.

So, what would cause 3 (!) bolts to back out? I keep pretty good tabs on the engine but this one has me confused as it seemed to "come out of nowhere."

Anyone else have bolts back out of the water pump?

Bill I have heard of bolts backing out of the water pump bolts and folks normally notice a problem when the water pump starts to leak. Just like the oil pan I am mindful and tell everbody to tighten the bolts before they panic. However I think I have not heard of the bolts backing out of the pulley area. I do remember a water pump shaft breaking but that's about it. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #3
dredgeguy

I recently had 2 bolts back out of the alternator.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Blue Loctite...is your friend.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017   #5
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Blue Loctite...is your friend.
Yeah,I think that is a weekend project. I drove it to work and back today (34 miles) perfect in every respect.

Maybe it was just.... a thing.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017   #6
Bruce

Ive just found something similar on my 91. I call it a 'Monday Engine' - you know, the one that was assembled after a long weekend on the booze!

Ive just replaced my air conditioning pulley bearing, alternator and water pump bearing and seals.
While I was in the engine bay, I went over all the bolts I could and I was amazed at how loose the water pump bolts were. Except one - that I had to grind the head off to get the water pump off. And I couldnt remove the stud as its one of the 'long' bolts, so Ive just didnt bother about trying to replace the headless bolt. But I sure went over every other bolt I could get at and was truely amazed at how loose many of them were.

While I had it up on the hoist I looked at the engine number/manufacture date - and it was actually built on a Monday, hahaha!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Ive just found something similar on my 91. I call it a 'Monday Engine' - you know, the one that was assembled after a long weekend on the booze!

Ive just replaced my air conditioning pulley bearing, alternator and water pump bearing and seals.
While I was in the engine bay, I went over all the bolts I could and I was amazed at how loose the water pump bolts were. Except one - that I had to grind the head off to get the water pump off. And I couldnt remove the stud as its one of the 'long' bolts, so Ive just didnt bother about trying to replace the headless bolt. But I sure went over every other bolt I could get at and was truely amazed at how loose many of them were.

While I had it up on the hoist I looked at the engine number/manufacture date - and it was actually built on a Monday, hahaha!
I had a high idle issue after owning the Z for a couple years. I never found the specific location for the air leak, but in the process of re-torquing the screws under the plenum, several were barly finger tight.

So...I did the blue Loctite on all of the engine screws/bolts and re-torqued them. That seems to have done the trick for the past 8 years.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote