ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-14-2016   #1
5ABI VT

Unhappy Stuck!! No crank ! LF some input and help !

**UPDATE SOLVED !!**

It was the clutch switch ! Snipped the wires and connected them together and she cranks beautifully. Thanks again to everyone who put up with me typing my thoughts over the last week and that chimed in. Very much appreciated this forum is awesome

** Original post **

I guess it was only a matter of time after reading about no crank threads here and there on the forum ! First time it's happened to me.. Finishing moving.. Last thing was to get my ZR-1 home. Stopped for gas and now she won't fire up.

Car is a 1994 *

Security doesn't blink when the key is in so thinking not vats. But looks like the bypass is next on the list for one.

Clutch pedal.. I can't seem to see any photos on where to look.. Does the panel need to be removed to access the switch ? I have no tools on me but i do have someone to help push ! Will try that shortly.

Any input is appreciated !

**UPDATE** 08/15/16 11am

Again in a nutshell. Cranked and fired every single time over the years until this happened. My experience tells me if it was the starter it may crank sometimes .. I've personally never had one die completely but there's always a first time. I did just do the clutch switch bypass. 5 mins and done but still no start.

https://youtu.be/d_rI6IdEKsg

**UPDATE 08/15/16 2pm**

Thanks to all your guys help so far at least I am now able to fire the car up until I get it sorted out !

Harness under the ECM.

Purple wire

I added a 8awg quality wire I had laying as spare. Touching this to the battery positive terminal cranked the motor instantly.
Added a rubber cap and taped it and the wire later for extra protection. Easily hidden out of sight.

Now to figure out why the starter isn't getting power when I turn the key.. Hmm..

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 07-06-2017 at 04:04 AM.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #2
We Gone

Default Re: Stuck!! No crank ! LF some input and help !

Any chance you can give it a push and slip it in 2nd gear to get it going and home?

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016   #3
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Any chance you can give it a push and slip it in 2nd gear to get it going and home?

Managed to push start it I'm on the way ! Couldn't be more relieved just need to get it there and I can tear into it this week. Will search the threads for info sorry for asking yet again !!
Old 08-14-2016   #4
5ABI VT

If it's push starting is clutch switch the likely culprit ? I did just pump the clutch pedal 10000x just a month ago
Old 08-14-2016   #5
secondchance

Try starting once the car cools down. I had the same happen to me. As the starter age heat soak, at times, disables it. Rebuild or a new starter may be the solution.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #6
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Try starting once the car cools down. I had the same happen to me. As the starter age heat soak, at times, disables it. Rebuild or a new starter may be the solution.
It's been a few hours while we finished moving .. No click at all still I have my manuals somewhere but they're buried under various boxes. Hoping the clutch switch is accessible after dropping the kick panel and I'll cut and tie them together or jumper the switch. Hopefully that's the issue. If not tomorrow I'll pull the plenum and pull the starter out and check it out.

Appreciate the input !
Old 08-15-2016   #7
RussMcB

If you need a semi-quick fix to prevent being stranded due to no-start see this thread:

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24767

That will allow you to send 12v directly to the starter, bypassing everything that might be causing the problem.

I did the above and lived with it for a brief time until I could do the VATS bypass and relay mod, which fixed my issue.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016   #8
Kevin

Pull driver’s side hush panel.
Locate striped purple wire that goes to clutch switch.
Look at switch and note the color of wire coming back up.(Yellow??)
If you found them—the jumper will go from the Yellow to the purple stripe. You should be able to jumper them right there without messing with that ##*!!$ clutch switch.
I used a 3 in #12 wire with terminals (from Radio Shack number 64-3133) on the end and unplugged the wires going to switch and plugged in the jumper wire.
Use a 12 ga wire at least as it does carry a heavy current load which is why the switch fails, it gets hot and the resistance across the points stops current flow.
Old 08-15-2016   #9
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
If you need a semi-quick fix to prevent being stranded due to no-start see this thread:

http://zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24767

That will allow you to send 12v directly to the starter, bypassing everything that might be causing the problem.

I did the above and lived with it for a brief time until I could do the VATS bypass and relay mod, which fixed my issue.
Thanks very much that is great if I'm understanding correctly this adds a longer sure with a sort of 'T' fitting in between. If and when the starter isn't getting power I can connect a second wire to the 'T' and the other end straight to the battery ?
Old 08-15-2016   #10
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pull driver’s side hush panel.
Locate striped purple wire that goes to clutch switch.
Look at switch and note the color of wire coming back up.(Yellow??)
If you found them—the jumper will go from the Yellow to the purple stripe. You should be able to jumper them right there without messing with that ##*!!$ clutch switch.
I used a 3 in #12 wire with terminals (from Radio Shack number 64-3133) on the end and unplugged the wires going to switch and plugged in the jumper wire.
Use a 12 ga wire at least as it does carry a heavy current load which is why the switch fails, it gets hot and the resistance across the points stops current flow.
Really appreciate the explanation. First thing I will tackle in the morning !