Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-25-2016   #1
HADI-ZR1
Banned
BANNED

Exclamation The New C8 ZR1 LT5.... The 750 hp

http://prettymotors.com/2017-chevrol...ecs-and-price/
Is it True?!

Last edited by HADI-ZR1; 03-25-2016 at 10:13 AM.
HADI-ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016   #2
efnfast

Default Re: The New C8 ZR1 LT5.... The 750 hp

Is this real or speculation?
efnfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016   #3
Mystic ZR-1

I'll bet your local Chevy dealer would take a deposit now, real or otherwise...
OBTW: That'll be $25-30k over sticker thank you...
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016   #4
Hog

Expect some body parts made of magnesium.

L88 or LT5 or maybe even LTX RPO/nameplate for engine with a possible twin turbo DOHC V8. Zora ZR1 will be the top level Vette.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016   #5
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
I'll bet your local Chevy dealer would take a deposit now, real or otherwise...
OBTW: That'll be $25-30k over sticker thank you...
More like $80-120K over stickder!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016   #6
rush91

I for one hope it is not true. For starters, by building this, your excluding more than half of your customer base. That makes no sense to me at all. Say you have your base front engine 2017 Corvette, followed by your highly optioned Vette. Then the top of the line front engine ZO6, followed by the top of the line mid engine Zora.....Would it be world beating? Yes......would it be a technological marvel? Yes.........Would it be the fastest Corvette ever to come out of Bowling Green? Yes.....The only way it makes sense to me is if the entire Corvette line goes mid engine, which will never happen. What are they going to produce 500- 1000 cars and that's it?
At over $150K, with dealer mark up, the majority will sit in showrooms. Unless it is priced at around $100,000, your losing money on every car. Now I know there are ALOT of rich Corvette guys who will say I don't care what it is priced at, but they are in the minority.....I know Dave Mclellan and the boys experimented with mid engine designs in the late 70's, early 80's. And I know the current Corvette is pretty much as far as GM can take it as far as performance and handling. A mid engine mule has been testing at the GM proving grounds, so this is gonna happen. A mid engine Corvette is the future and WILL happen. But from my purist point of view, it doesn't compute unless the whole line goes mid engine. Why cant they go a hybrid mix like the GT-R? Sorry for the soapbox moment, that's just my two cents.......
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
I for one hope it is not true. For starters, by building this, your excluding more than half of your customer base. That makes no sense to me at all. Say you have your base front engine 2017 Corvette, followed by your highly optioned Vette. Then the top of the line front engine ZO6, followed by the top of the line mid engine Zora.....Would it be world beating? Yes......would it be a technological marvel? Yes.........Would it be the fastest Corvette ever to come out of Bowling Green? Yes.....The only way it makes sense to me is if the entire Corvette line goes mid engine, which will never happen. What are they going to produce 500- 1000 cars and that's it?
At over $150K, with dealer mark up, the majority will sit in showrooms. Unless it is priced at around $100,000, your losing money on every car. Now I know there are ALOT of rich Corvette guys who will say I don't care what it is priced at, but they are in the minority.....I know Dave Mclellan and the boys experimented with mid engine designs in the late 70's, early 80's. And I know the current Corvette is pretty much as far as GM can take it as far as performance and handling. A mid engine mule has been testing at the GM proving grounds, so this is gonna happen. A mid engine Corvette is the future and WILL happen. But from my purist point of view, it doesn't compute unless the whole line goes mid engine. Why cant they go a hybrid mix like the GT-R? Sorry for the soapbox moment, that's just my two cents.......
Yours is not a new argument, and it has been applied to various concept Corvettes in the past; even to the ZR-1 (at twice the base price in 1990).

It's hard to argue with success, and Corvette C5R and C6R has certainly played a part in Corvettes' success at the dealerships. All things considered, the Corvette has held its own and then some...up to now. But, you said yourself the Corvette has taken the front engine (a push-rod, no less) design to the practical limits. So, the question is, for how much longer will the current platform be successful against competing designs? (Even the Cadillac CTS-V, a sedan no less, will challenge the C7s on a road course!)

I see it as a "chicken or the egg" argument. On the one hand I believe you're right: the bulk of the current Corvette buyers are not primed to jump into a Corvette costing 2x+ as much for a Corvette (as history of the ZR-1 proved). But, on the other hand, those that can afford to pay 3x or more for a European mid-engine world beater aren't buying Corvettes anyway.

It seems to me history may be repeating itself: the marketing department at GM is facing the same elephant in the room it did with the C4 ZR-1: unquestionable performance increase over the current (base) offering, but at a cost out of reach for the majority of the day's Corvette buyers. The difference this time is, as you said, the current (front engine, rear wheel drive) platform has nearly run its course. AND too, the writing on the wall may also be spelling the end of the pushrod motor, no?

For my 2 cents, it's going to happen. And, I expect there will be some gnashing of teeth at GM over it; a repeat of the kind we saw with the C4 ZR-1. Only this time it might be harder to pull a rabbit (LSx) out of a hat to beat over the heads of the mid-engine, DOHC fans.

I will be interesting to watch what develops...AND, what the competition comes up with!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016   #8
XfireZ51

BTW, the picture is someone's wet dream from one of the car mags. If there is a mid-engine DOHC running around, GMs done a pretty good job of hiding it.
Ford did a REAL good job of hiding the new GT before they launched it last year.
If Porsche can have 911, Boxster, Cayman not clear why Corvette could not have various flavor as well.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016   #9
KILLSHOTS

Here's a pic of the actual mule. No idea what engine is mounted within, but the car is real. What is interesting to me is how much of the car is virtually identical - just slightly reconfigured - to my Z51 Stingray. The fact that GM is already employing their "parts bin" mentality to the concept tells me that they're going to build it, and that the cost is not going to be as high as many believe. Guys bought every $100K-plus C6 ZR1 that Chevy could produce, even in a scary economy, and they'll buy these too.

KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016   #10
KPW

Looks like that too might be a rendering, based on this article

Pretty realistic looking though...all these speculations and such make the waiting a lot of fun!

KPW is offline   Reply With Quote