ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-17-2015   #1
RussMcB

Default Road Atlanta Track Day (pic)

Mark (8cam) and I took our ZR-1's ( 8 cams :-) to Road Atlanta yesterday for a fun, laid back track day. We had a great time, great weather, great track, both cars ran great. There were a few guys who stopped by and knew about ZR-1's, and a little surprised to see two of the somewhat rare cars there at the event.

I was really happy to feel changes I made to my car since my last/first time there - exhaust, 30 HP more, and no cooling issues after Dewitt radiator swap.

I'm still not accustomed to driving such a big, heavy car on a race track. My best lap time was an unimpressive 1:47 - slower than I ran in my Spec Miata by 2 seconds. The difference is in the braking and cornering, because I know I was going way faster on the straights in the ZR-1! :-)

Mark and I ended the day talking about all the mods we want to do (money we don't really want to spend...) before we go back next year. For me, it's replacing old suspension bushings and a better alignment so maybe it will brake in a straight line. :-)

Only took one picture. I might have a video to post if I can figure out how to edit it down to a short lap or two.

Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]

Last edited by RussMcB; 10-17-2015 at 10:32 AM.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015   #2
8cam

Default Re: Road Atlanta Track Day (pic)

Wow you caught me and my red shoes. We had a fantastic paddock spot, great place to talk to folks and see what was running. Lots of seriously fast machines and drivers there, and in my group (Int-2) I was definitely one of the slower cars. Street tires and suspension meant I was waving through everything from brand-new Z06s (bunch of those) to track-prepped Miatas. You heard me right, Miatas. Not fast on the straights, but in the corners they were outstanding. And there was this other thing there too, amazing machine - a BAC Mono. BTW the red C6 parked next to me might have been the fastest car there, super-nice guy driving it too.

What a gorgeous day, couldn't have asked for better. I took a few more pics, just a few shots of what was out there. And I won't discuss lap times, but I will say Russ' car is STRONG. Between the track tires, and his recent exhaust work, he absolutely walked away from me...until he ran out of brakes. Thanks for letting me know about it, fantastic way to spend a Friday.

'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015   #3
ZR1North

Looks like a fun day, guys. Great to see your mods paid nice dividends, Russ. How to enjoy those great machines!
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #4
8cam

I should also mention how happy I was with my car. It performed flawlessly the whole day, water temp never got more than half-gauge, oil temp about the same. It was flat and stable under braking and cornering, and as I got familiar with the high speed handling it was amazing how it would just hook up and go out of the corners. Realistically I was only driving maybe 8-9/10ths, but it is my street car and my daily driver. I figure if I can hear the tires in the corners, I'm pushing it hard enough. And I was happy with my Nittos, really good grip and predictability. I think they do better at a full track where I can get some heat into them, actually very sticky. Autocross just never gets them hot enough. Hot pressures about 38 and it looks like I could have gone a little softer, but I wasn't out for time attack. Just enjoyed my car and the day.
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-18-2015   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks for sharing guys! Always good to hear about some Z brothers getting some track time around the country. Glad to hear all went well. =D>
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #6
lbszr

[QUOTE=RussMcB;233670]
Mark and I ended the day talking about all the mods we want to do (money we don't really want to spend...) before we go back next year. For me, it's replacing old suspension bushings and a better alignment so maybe it will brake in a straight line.

Sounds like you all had a great time!

If you don't want passed by Miatas, I found 315's all the way around made a huge difference, if not a must. But the VBP springs, sway bars, and Hoosier R seem to help quite a bit. If you do bushings. it would be a good time to put the off set bushings in the front to get more negative camber.

That looks like a great course!
Old 10-18-2015   #7
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Russ,

Thanks for posting pictures! Looks like you had a blast!

I'd consider coil overs...

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015   #8
We Gone

Next time let me know...I would love to come an at least watch...

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015   #9
8cam

Hey Steve, I sent you a text about it! Would love to have you there too, that blue beast would be fun to see giving the C7s a run for their money.
Black/Gray
Old 10-19-2015   #10
We Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
Hey Steve, I sent you a text about it! Would love to have you there too, that blue beast would be fun to see giving the C7s a run for their money.
Thanks... Mark, never got it. if you sent it to the 770 # that's a home phone I'll watch for the next event.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote