ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-02-2013   #1
Mystic ZR-1

Default EU speed limiter proposal

European Union proposes speed limiters on new cars and
retrofits of older cars. 70 mph max (or metric equivalent)
GPS controlled or by car mounted cameras
to read road signs.
Can Uncle Sam be far behind?
Google EU speed limiters for more...

Top speed should be limited by horsepower and aero drag!!!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #2
BigJohn

Default Re: EU speed limiter proposal

We already have cars and trucks with speed limiters from the factory in the USA.

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #3
Mystic ZR-1

Does that include the Callaway factory?
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #4
BigJohn

Yes!

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #5
USAFPILOT

not gonna happen on my cars.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #6
mike100

keep your obd-1 toys. No black boxes.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #7
LancePearson

My 2008 TBSS with the LS2 slightly modified to 415 hp with the 4:10 rear end and racing suspension is electronically limited to 130 mph by GM from the Performance Group Factory at GM. However, if you replace the ecm with non factory it will hit 148.8 mph.

The next question is where?

A bit too much government for me especially here in Virginia with their speed penalties. They still have signs here which say: Patrolled By Airplane and they haven't done that in twenty years. Big national computer watching every car on every road hooked to Google Maps with gps matched in real time against road speed limits and an electronic ticket will be headed your way. By the way, that is not science fiction but possible right now if they want to with cars so equipped. Some legislature could even mandate it just like the Federal Government mandated penalties for not buying insurance with the ACA law sometimes referred to as...Obam...well you know. Not meant to get into politics but the fact is all of the technology is available right now and government generally looks for easy ways to fine us and this one is a no brainer. You would also not need red light cameras. The computer could calculate that and also send tickets for reckless driving..speed, direction/gps on roads in google Maps right now. Maybe the NSA would be involved?

Maybe government is already prototyping. By the way, it could also dovetail nicely with taxing you based on the miles you drive annually rather than dollars per gallons used of gas. And that data would be fed to car insurance companies for use adjusted real rates, etc. Many ways someone could rationalize this as a "national need." Just look at who is in government and be afraid. Just wait, some Doofus in state legislatures will start thinking of it here.

Where is that George Orwell guy when you want to kick somebody's *** around the block anyway?

Lance
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461

Last edited by LancePearson; 09-15-2013 at 09:39 PM.
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #8
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post

A bit too much government for me especially here in Virginia with their speed penalties. ...

Where is that George Orwell guy when you want to kick somebody's *** around the block anyway?

Lance
I just got back from Newport News/Hampton area Friday (lots of work out there for us at the moment) and I've never been so nervous to drive on the interstate.

just to rub it in, a majority of cities in SoCal/San Diego have turned off their red light cams due to a change in state law eliminating quota based income for the cities.

Also I got a warning for going 89 mph from the CHP last Friday (the 13th!). Can you believe that? This car was tailgaitng me so I kept going faster to get out of the way. changed to a slower lane- still all up in my bumper- gave it more juice, then got lit up-the tailgater was a CHP Tahoe truck... anyways I think he felt bad for egging me on as I couldn't see his car thru the self dimming mirror. it was somewhat humorous really. Traffic enforcement has changed a lot in 20 years here. I'm not saying that they don't care, but they kind of don't.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #9
We Gone

Don't you find it ironic how they can get away with tailgating and unsafe driving.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #10
SteelBlueZR1

Oh and how about all the cops you see talking on cell phones while driving without a hands free device!
Haibeck chip, slotted rotors, camber brace, C-beam plates, OBX exhaust, Nitto NT555 tires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelBlueZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote