ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 07-15-2013   #1
RyanChappel

Default Iron/'Hard' water spots on finish.....

My well water is full of iron....despite a sediment filter and a water softener, my red/red '91 Z is showing a bunch of iron/hard water spotting, which is mostly resistant to my Meguir's gold carnuba. I haven't used a higher abrasive content wax or rubbing compound. I see suggestions to use white vinegar for 2-5 minutes, then rinse and clean....any tips?
RyanChappel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013   #2
Kevin

Default Re: Iron/'Hard' water spots on finish.....

both compound and vinegar and water are a good idea as is ironx
Old 07-15-2013   #3
efnfast

I assembled and installed a filter that gives me deionized water for a spot free rinse. First I use a water softener cartridge, then the DI cartridge. You can only run about 1 gpm through the filters, so I use this for rinse water only. Plus the cartridges have a limited life and are fairly expensive. It also works great to rinse off the car when it is just dusty. I have a long dirt drive. -Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #4
dredgeguy

Go to the Detailed Image website, www.detailedimage.com and get a bottle of Optumum No Rinse Wash & Shine (32 oz for $15.99). Go to Walmart and get a gallon of distilled water and pour into 2 buckets. Put a cap full of No Rinse in your wash bucket and keep the other to rinse dirt from your wash mit.
It is hard to believe no rising will work without putting scratches on the finish but it does work. Reflections Detailing did a demo on my car at a Wazoo event at Lance Miller's home at Carlisle and everybody was impressed with the results. A lot less expensive then water softeners and filters.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #5
Schrade

I don' think ionized PURE water leaves deposits; rather the minerals IN the water...

Water is self-ionizing; H2O's ionize into OH's (-), and H3O's (+), and these CHARGED water ions sometimes latch onto the other elements in the water.

That's normally what gets left as a deposit.

Towel dry, and use the water left over, to allow wiping the wax until it's all WIPED IN. Takes a lot longer, but leaves a heavier coat of wax.

Try it. Don't take half (or more) of the wax off that you just put on...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #6
scottfab

Some of this is plagiarized but modified by my own experience.

Step 1

Wash the car thoroughly. This will remove road grime and dust on your car. It will also help eliminate some of the minerals responsible for the hard water spots. As always, wash in a shaded location - never in direct sunlight. While the products we are going to use are completely safe to use, heat from a hot surface or direct sunlight can turn something harmless like car soap into an amplified cleaner which can yield unknown results. So while vinegar is completely safe to use on your car's surface, using it in hot sun should be avoided. Now dry the car completely.

Step 2

Mix a 1:1 solution of regular white vinegar with distilled water. Regular tap water will work fine. Apply the vinegar/water solution with a spray bottle on to the affected paint finish. Allow mixture to work for up to 10 minutes. The acid in the vinegar will help loosen the hard water minerals embedded in the paint. This is similar to running your coffee maker with vinegar to remove the build up of hard water.
After allowing to work for 10 minutes, wash and dry the area again to remove the water/vinegar solution. The minerals from the hard water will be gone at this point but you may still notice the rings. If so, repeat. The key is to dry the car quickly.

Step 3

Wax several times. Nothing fights water spots better than some preventative measures (wax)

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #7
nelson007

Thanks Scott this was very helful, I also have iron in my well water.
nelson007

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
Some of this is plagiarized but modified by my own experience.

Step 1

Wash the car thoroughly. This will remove road grime and dust on your car. It will also help eliminate some of the minerals responsible for the hard water spots. As always, wash in a shaded location - never in direct sunlight. While the products we are going to use are completely safe to use, heat from a hot surface or direct sunlight can turn something harmless like car soap into an amplified cleaner which can yield unknown results. So while vinegar is completely safe to use on your car's surface, using it in hot sun should be avoided. Now dry the car completely.

Step 2

Mix a 1:1 solution of regular white vinegar with distilled water. Regular tap water will work fine. Apply the vinegar/water solution with a spray bottle on to the affected paint finish. Allow mixture to work for up to 10 minutes. The acid in the vinegar will help loosen the hard water minerals embedded in the paint. This is similar to running your coffee maker with vinegar to remove the build up of hard water.
After allowing to work for 10 minutes, wash and dry the area again to remove the water/vinegar solution. The minerals from the hard water will be gone at this point but you may still notice the rings. If so, repeat. The key is to dry the car quickly.

Step 3

Wax several times. Nothing fights water spots better than some preventative measures (wax)
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #8
efnfast

A water softener will remove iron and hardness, but will add sodium. Sodium will spot like calcium hardness.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #9
Hog

If you chamois you shouldnt get "water spots" I have very hard water and not allowing the drops to dry on their own eliminates the issue.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #10
scottfab

Unfortunately if you get caught in rain (has happened to me only 4 times in 17yrs) you can get spots before you can get them dried off.
That is where several coats of wax pays off.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote