ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-22-2013   #1
dzim

Default Rebuild Bilsteins

I am thinking about having the Bilstein shocks from my 94 ZR-1 rebuilt. If you have had this done, I would like to hear your comments, both good and bad. Where is this done, how much does it cost, how long does it take, etc?

Thanks,
Dale Zimmerman
Lincoln, NE
dzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Rebuild Bilsteins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzim View Post
I am thinking about having the Bilstein shocks from my 94 ZR-1 rebuilt. If you have had this done, I would like to hear your comments, both good and bad. Where is this done, how much does it cost, how long does it take, etc?

Thanks,
Dale Zimmerman
Lincoln, NE

Bilstein does the rebuilding service. A few folks here have had the Moracca valving done which is great for those who like to autocross. Keep in mind what you send in is what they will rebuild and return. They do not repaint them clean them up or add new decals. They simply rebuild the shocks. Im sure others will chime in as well.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #3
Kevin

i've been considering getting a spare set of shocks to have rebuilt
Old 05-22-2013   #4
Daniel_Mc

Hey Dale,

I did this back in 2007 on our 89 track car it took about 3 weeks if I remember correctly. I had the shocks custom valved for the Moraca (sp) setting and rebuilt. All the internals and rods were replaced but the outside will look the same. I am very happy with the results and I have had zero issues with them since rebuilding. I think I paid 60 to 80 per shock for the rebuild but again I can't really remember.

Hope this helps,

-Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #5
vilant

I bought 4 new Bilsteins for @ $800 shipped. It's cheaper to have them rebuilt, but I didn't want to have my car out of commission for several weeks.
Daniel, was it $60-$80 each with or without shipping them to Bilstein? Thinking about having my old ones rebuilt as spares.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #6
mike100

I had mine done a year ago. It was $100 each for the rebuild. The price was the same for either stock or custom valving.

I got new decals on mine. Probably the job took 2 weeks or so at the time I had mine done, but I work nearby and just dropped them off and left a phone number. What I requested was 20% more compression and 30% more rebound and that worked out pretty well, but if I had a second chance, I would have been more aggressive with the front shock valving (the LT5 is still heavy-no way around that).
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #7
Fully Vetted

Please explain the Moracca valving.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #8
Daniel_Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
...Daniel, was it $60-$80 each with or without shipping them to Bilstein? Thinking about having my old ones rebuilt as spares.
DRM shipped for me so I did not get charged for the shipping. At the rate people dump the FX3's I have considered picking up a set and having them as spares as well. It's not a bad idea at all IMHO.

Quote:
David it is a bit stiffer setting than the stock but it adds to the high speed stability of the car. You are welcome to drive the Rippie car with them on it and see for yourself.

-Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #9
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9qIxu0l_4

Pretty much your choices with Bilstein are “Sears Point” and “Moraca”for the revalve. As you can see in the video its all about what you want and what they have tested.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 05-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #10
dzim

Thanks for all the feedback. I also paid the $800 for new Bilsteins and have installed them on my ZR-1. If I have the old Bilsteins rebuilt, it would be to have a spare set available.

I also own a 1994 LT1 coupe with the FX3 suspension package. Would the shocks from my 1994 ZR-1 work on my base coupe?

Dale Zimmerman
dzim is offline   Reply With Quote