ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-12-2011   #1
| 1990 ZR-1 |

Default quick questionon FX3 shocks....

Got the car about a week and a half ago, and it came with a cheap set of aftermarket shocks. I ordered a set of brand new Bilstein FX3 shocks this week, but I noticed that I'm missing the C clips that secure the actuators to the shock crown, and also missing the two rear shock crowns that the actuators mount on. I checked all major corvette parts stores and also on ebay, and couldn't find them anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can purchase those C lips and shock crowns?

Thanks -Gary
| 1990 ZR-1 | is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #2
ammrpm

Default Re: quick questionon FX3 shocks....

Give Bilstein a call. They might have some of these spare parts. Talk to someone in the Tech department. Here is their number in California: 1-858-386-5900

If they don't have it you could try some of the corvette salvage yards like: www.vette2vette.com
ammrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #3
GOLDCYLON

http://captainzcnc.com/

Sells em for $4 a piece. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011   #4
| 1990 ZR-1 |

Thanks guys. I'll call around on monday to see if Captain Z or Bilstein have them.

I actually just ran out into the garage to test the actuators, and all with the exception of the passanger front cycle through when I turn the key to the on position. I swapped the two front to make sure that it's not the actuator that's not working, and same thing happens. It looks like the front passanger actuator is not getting power. I looked a at the connector and it seems clean, and the connector seems to go in tightly. I also took the fender off, and didn't see any damaged wires as far as I could see before they go into the side skirts. I also looked in the cubby hole behind the the driver's seat, and the two blue connectors for the front and rear actuators seemed to be properly connected. I disconnected them and pluged them back in just in case, and still nothing.

Outside of a damaged wire somwhere in the side skirt or anywhere from there to the control module, what else should I check? Does anyone have any real good experience with troubleshooting the FX3 system?
Old 03-12-2011   #5
GOLDCYLON

Since you swapped the "good" front Actuator to the "bad" side and it didnt work did you swap the "bad" actuator to the "good" side? This will confirm ALL four actuators work. Id start with the connector back it sure sounds like a bad wire. Any codes?

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-12-2011   #6
| 1990 ZR-1 |

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Since you swapped the "good" front Actuator to the "bad" side and it didnt work did you swap the "bad" actuator to the "good" side? This will confirm ALL four actuators work. Id start with the connector back it sure sounds like a bad wire. Any codes?
I did, and all four actuators work, thank god, since they are not cheap. I'll have to run the codes tomorrow. Is it possible that the control module is bad?
Old 03-12-2011   #7
GOLDCYLON

Yes but I doubt only one corner would be the problem. If that was the case I would think all the corners would be affected. It sure is displaying the signs of a bad wire.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-18-2011   #8
| 1990 ZR-1 |

I had a chance to work on the car one night this week to try to track down the problem with the RF shock actuator, and after 1.5 hours of trouble shooting the wires and the control module, everything pointed towards the Gray/Red and the Brown/Yellow wires being cut somewhere between the control module and the actuator. I started tracing it from the actuator back, through the side skirt, and when I got to the end of the side skirt by the rear wheel, I decided to test the wires again since this was the mid point. All five wires are wrapped with an electrical tape, and when I tried just pulling the two wires in question out sligty so I could hook up the volt meter, I noticed they kept coming out, and actually came right out. Sure enough, another foot back is where the cut happened. So I climmed under the car, and long story short, whoever jacked the car up did not use the proper jacking spots and pinched the wires under the frame. The rest of the wires were hanging by a thread. I resoldered all wires including the speed sensor wire. I bet the previous owner could not trace the problem down once the SRC light came on and just replaced the Bilstein shocks with a cheap set. If any one takes their car in to local shops for simple service, make sure they jack your car up properly. Better yet, zip tie those wires so they are not hanging under the frame.

My brand new Bilstein shocks are here, along with the Hawk HPS pads and brand new rotors for all four corners. I will hopefully be a happy guy tomorrow night once the suspession and brakes are done!

Here's where the cut happened

Here's where I ziptied it away from harms way.