ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-22-2014   #131
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: My last effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
Located inside the crankcase near the CPS is an undocumented device caledl an
oil vapor inversion initiator valve" (OVIAV) which is controlled by the ECM. On most LT5s, the table which controls that is disabled, but on a few cars, originally sold in certain areas of North America, that system is enabled. If it is enabled and the valve begins to malfunction, oil use skyrockets. Typically, if engine which has had OVAIV disabled for a long time is switched to a cal with the system enabled, it will experience a valve failure in short order. The first cal must have enabled the valve and it failed. Obviously, when "mitsumark" changed to the cal he got from "LGAFF", he got a cal with the OVIAV disabled, again, so oil use went back down.

This post was moderated for "some" of its content. PM sent
So which is it? OVIAV or OVAIV?

SO IF something like this existed why would it NOT be in the FSM? Where is the cable and connector for it? and How does it Actually work? since it is not listed in the FSM, how does one service it?

I think the OVIAV or OVAIV (your post had both acronyms) is in the same class as muffler bearings... so please enlighten all of us on the specifics of this mysterious component
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 04-22-2014 at 11:32 PM.
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #132
edram454

man you guys are great. Hib Halverson is amazing. What a great support system. I am glad that our fellow member did not sell his zr1 for 10k. what a disaster that would have been for him after this problem was solved by resident guru's. I congratulate all the resident guru's for helping our member in distress.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #133
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
man you guys are great. Hib Halverson is amazing. What a great support system. I am glad that our fellow member did not sell his zr1 for 10k. what a disaster that would have been for him after this problem was solved by resident guru's. I congratulate all the resident guru's for helping our member in distress.

ed ramos #3028
Exactly. This is just what this forum is about. Enthusiasts helping each other through healthy dialogue and the love of the LT5. The only place to belong for great help and information.

1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #134
LGAFF

I think the car was too rich and that oil was not the issue.....however that being said; BMW M54engines have an issue with condensation building up in the oil separator; freezing...then pressuring the system and forcing all of the engine oil into the intake, locking the motor:

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/129...arator-problem
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #135
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
So which is it? OVIAV or OVAIV?

SO IF something like this existed why would it NOT be in the FSM? Where is the cable and connector for it? and How does it Actually work? since it is not listed in the FSM, how does one service it?

I think the OVIAV or OVAIV (your post had both acronyms) is in the same class as muffler bearings... so please enlighten all of us on the specifics of this mysterious component
Jeff,

No such param in the cal. Certain it's Hib being snarky.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #136
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Jeff,

No such param in the cal. Certain it's Hib being snarky.
Right, just wanted him to confirm
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #137
Schrade

My college profs knew the subject matter better than I did (til I got the stuff down).

At LEAST once a month, for 9 1/2 yrs (4 majors, paid from my own pocket while running a business), I'd get for an answer to my Q's, something like, "That's a good question...".

So "hh", do you have a schematic of this gizmo-bob, in ANY car?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 04-23-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #138
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
My college profs knew the subject matter better than I did (til I got the stuff down).

At LEAST once a month, for 9 1/2 yrs (4 majors, paid from my own pocket while running a business), I'd get for an answer to my Q's, something like, "That's a good question...".

So "hh", do you have a schematic of this gizmo-bob, in ANY car?
I have an early production 90.
As I remember, it has a two wire connection down there.
I remember wondering what it was.
I wonder. I do know that no matter how long I have the car
I keep learning stuff. It's only those that think they have all
the answers that get in trouble. They cannot be educated.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #139
mike100

Don't know how long it was running pig rich and washing down the cylinders, but hopefully oil consumption will be ok now with a fresh eeprom and oil change.

I don't see a chip running that badly being sold, but more likely I think the program got corrupted and a few 1's and 0's got mixed up in memory causing part of the fuel calculation to be way off. It would be interesting to me to read the old chip and see what the differences are.

just remember that the first quart of oil burns off quickly from windage and oil level should dwell near the add line after that with much less consumption.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014   #140
LGAFF

This car has Jeal cams which have ramps that open quicker than even regrinds...meaning overlap, less vac...confusing the MAP Sensor and O2s...meaning its going to run pig rich more than likely.....if you did not program the chip for the cams...there are going to be idle and fuel issues.
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote