ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-11-2010   #1
TommyL

Default Leaking Waterpump?

I got my 90 out of storage yesterday and found a small pool of coolent under it. I filled it up (took maybe a liter) and drove around a little then home. It didn't over heat and worked very well. Today I see another small pool of coolent under the front cross member right about where the pump is, had a look with the flashlight and it has a drip every so often from the bottom of the waterpump.. looks like its leaking from the gasket?

My question's are: Where can I get a reasonably priced pump and gasket? How much work is it to change? Does anyone have detailed instruction on how to go about this?

Looks like it may take a little time to do this job and while I'm at it is there anything else I should look at?.

Thanks, Tom
TommyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #2
TommyL

Default Re: Leaking Waterpump?

Great help TY. Roughly how much time is involved in this job? I am not at all pressed for time but was wondering what to expect.
Old 04-11-2010   #3
-=Jeff=-

Water pump from Corvette Central is $199 and comes with a gasket too

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050F
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #4
A26B

Handy tip for keeping up with the WP bolts of varying lengths.

Put your new pump on the bench & as you remove a WP bolt, put it in the corresponding hole in the new pump.

When the old pump is off, put it on the bench and transfer the bolts from the new pump to the old pump.

Remove bolts from the old pump & install in corresponding hole in the new pump on engine.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010   #5
GOLDCYLON

Tom sometimes the bolts loosen on these and that maybe the issue. Make sure everything is tightened first. You will need to remove the Air filter housing and the air horn to expose the front end of the engine. Remove the belt and remove one bolt from the Allternator if I remember correctly. ABs tip on transfering the bolts one by one is the way I did it as well.

May want to consider replacing the hoses while you are there. Not a bad job really
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 04-11-2010 at 10:31 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #6
scottfab

There are some 18 bolts that hold that sucker in.
It's not as easy as say the old push rod 350s of old.
They had maybe 6 bolts.

If you use the old well known trick of putting the bolts into the
holes of the new pump (to keep track of them)
DON'T put one in the wrong hole. Bad result happen.
Don't ask how I know

Also spin the new pump a few times before installing.
Make sure it spins freely and without and noticeable grinding
or noise BEFORE you install.
GOOD LUCK

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #7
Scrrem

When I did my water pump, I took a card board box and traced a patteren of the water pump on it and punched out bolt hole and when I removed a bolt, I placed in the appropriate hole in the box. A bit anal I know, but it works for me
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #8
TommyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Tom sometimes the bolts loosen on these and that maybe the issue. Make sure everything is tightened first. You will need to remove the Air filter housing and the air horn to expose the front end of the engine. Remove the belt and remove one bolt from the Allternator if I remember correctly. ABs tip on transfering the bolts one by one is the way I did it as well.

May want to consider replacing the hoses while you are there. Not a bad job really
Daryl, I was looking at the pump this morning and it seems to be leaking more then just through the seeping hole... this leads me to think its the gasket and not the pump itself. I will change the pump and gasket as I don't want to do it twice but I'm thinking its either the gasket or loose bolts. I had this issue with the oil pan when I first purchased this car in 96 where the bolts were LOOSE...very loose, to the point of falling out. Once I tightened them the leak stopped never to return and I check them every time I change the oil. Sounds like the water pump is a common issue here. I see some recommendations with regard to sealants on the gasket? silicone or gasket material? Loc tight or antiseize on the bolts? This doesn't look like a tough job but looks time consuming.

Thanks again for the replys .. you guys have alot of helpful information when it comes to doing this kind of thing.

Last edited by TommyL; 04-12-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2010   #9
ralph92ZR1

I had the exact issue and got Marc Haibeck pump with rebuilt impeller bearing and gasket. Very pleased and the pump is working great.
All other recommendations are right on the mark. Cost a bit more but no more worries with the OEM stuff.
'92 ZR-1#473
Red/Red
ralph92ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #10
TommyL

OK here is what I found. I have the R&D racing camber brace installed in front of the motor hmm. So, I drained the fluid, took the brace out, removed the coolent piping and hoses, the accesory belt and the pully for the waterpump... all went well. When I got to the waterpump, I checked it for play as well looked for leakage from the weeping hole..it looked and felt like new hmmmmm. The one thing I did notice was the waterpump has alot of bolts 8 and 10 mm... some are shared bolts and the bolts were loose... I tightened them, put everything back together, (a 2 hour deal) added new coolent and ran the car. It doesnt leak... nothing! I ordered a waterpump and gasket for good keeping but you know I do believe the gasket was the cause of my leak. The bolts were loose about 1 complete turn with a wrench. I will keep an eye on this but I do believe all it needed at this point was tightening but time will tell. This car sat all winter and it is possible that given time sitting it might leak again but for now it seems ok hmmmmm odd.