ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-11-2022   #1
mlipmd

Default Radio antenna cable

My '90 ZR-1 has had the entire Bose system rebuilt - HU, CDM, all 4 speaker amps, and has been working fine until recently when the radio reception became poor and scratchy in sound quality. Cassettes and CDs play clear and distinct, but the radio sounds like the antenna is bad or the connection is bad. I would like to temporarily hook up another antenna or clean the existing connectors but I do not want to take out the CDM again (have already done that 3 times) to reach the antenna connector in the right hand corner and I am sure that connection is clean.
I thought there was a connection from the radio cable to the antenna connection underneath the left rear quarter panel but I cannot see it after removing the black plastic trim piece below the rear window. Is there something else or more that needs to be removed to see in there, is there another connection I can get to in there, or does the antenna cable just end at the antenna itself where it is screwed into the side of the antenna?
I can't find much help in the FSM or EDSM, or for that matter, Google or YouTube, so I'm asking the experts here for assistance.
mlipmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022   #2
AndrewL

Default Re: Radio antenna cable

Remove the left rear external trim panel that you had removed, then remove the guide trim for the cargo shade that sits under the trim panel and dig around behind the foam insulation. You will find a connection point for the antenna lead where it simply unplugs (roughly halfway along the trim you just removed).
I did this a few weeks ago but amazingly I don't seem to have taken photos while doing it.

Last edited by AndrewL; 06-11-2022 at 08:37 PM.
AndrewL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022   #3
richarde

Image1655058096.377198.jpg

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry
2391 - owned since Jan 2019, Black / Black, have completed restoration. Jeal headers, Corsa system, 4.10's, Aluminum flywheel with Carolina clutch.
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022   #4
richarde

Just tucked in beneath the trim panels above the left rear speaker

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry
2391 - owned since Jan 2019, Black / Black, have completed restoration. Jeal headers, Corsa system, 4.10's, Aluminum flywheel with Carolina clutch.
richarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022   #5
mlipmd

Thanks for that. I'll go look again. I thought it was way back under the rear deck.
Old 06-12-2022   #6
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlipmd View Post
My '90 ZR-1 has had the entire Bose system rebuilt - HU, CDM, all 4 speaker amps, and has been working fine until recently when the radio reception became poor and scratchy in sound quality. Cassettes and CDs play clear and distinct, but the radio sounds like the antenna is bad or the connection is bad. I would like to temporarily hook up another antenna or clean the existing connectors but I do not want to take out the CDM again (have already done that 3 times) to reach the antenna connector in the right hand corner and I am sure that connection is clean.
I thought there was a connection from the radio cable to the antenna connection underneath the left rear quarter panel but I cannot see it after removing the black plastic trim piece below the rear window. Is there something else or more that needs to be removed to see in there, is there another connection I can get to in there, or does the antenna cable just end at the antenna itself where it is screwed into the side of the antenna?
I can't find much help in the FSM or EDSM, or for that matter, Google or YouTube, so I'm asking the experts here for assistance.

Dumb question.. have you replaced your exterior light with LEDs or did you do LED headlights? If so, what brand ones did you use?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022   #7
mlipmd

No, I have replaced the underhood lights and the reverse lights with LEDs, not headlights or any others.
Old 06-19-2022   #8
mlipmd

AndrewL and Richarde - question about the ends of the antenna leads.
Does the end of the antenna cable coming from the CDM have a male or female end?
Does the end of the cable coming from the antenna itself have a male or female end?
In pictures of both of these it seem like the cable ends are both male and that means there has to be a female-female connector between them in that location.
Is that true? Or is one of these male and the other female?
The reason I was asking is that I was thinking of inserting an antenna signal booster in there and wiring up the power to the antenna relay so that it would only be powered on when the the radio was on and the antenna was up.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2022   #9
mlipmd

Found it, dug it out.
FYI, the end of the antenna cable coming from the CDM has a male connector, the cable coming from the antenna has a female end.
So if I put in a signal booster I probably have to cut off and reverse the connectors to insert it in the line, unless it is not unidirectional in how it works.
Old 06-25-2022   #10
Corvette95

Your problem probably isn't the antenna. When you R/I's your CDM for repair did you look at the male end to the CDM under the passenger dash? That connector is a weak point in the system. Also, and not really in the FSM, the harness to the CDM has "Bose drain" lines running parallel to the speaker/power harness. If any of those wires (clear looms with visible wires) are broken it will allow static into the radio reception. Very very little on this in the FSM. A signal amplifier will likely make it worse. I recommend you check those connection and possibly adding the antenna ground harness from a 93+ car (not 100% sure on the year the ground harness was added).
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote