ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-08-2022   #1
billschroeder5842

Default Is the Bose Gold system heat sensitive?

Ok, this is a weird thing that has happened with my recently replaced (used) Bose Gold on my 91. (I am going to send my original radio to Dr Don and have it on hand or ready to swap).

My original radio was working but the display was fading so I took a chance and swapped it with a radio from a 90. The radio had a "refurbished" sticker from the 2000's but had not been used. The seller represented this accurately, and I knew I'd be rolling the dice a bit.

So, in the cool morning, I did the install and the radio acted up immediately. Antenna up, no channel change capability and it got "stuck" on a particular channel. I was not upset, just figured the chance did not break my way.

Later in the day I tried it again and everything was perfect- all stations, read outs, channel selections.... it worked as it should. Whaaa?

This morning (it was chilly 36 in North Texas) I started the car and pulled it out of the cold garage to let it warm a bit. The radio was back to acting up the same as before. No On/Off options, no read outs, no channel selections....etc. Bummer.

I let the car warm up for about 15 minutes and when I hopped in, the car was very warm and everything on the radio was perfect again. Antenna works, channel selection, number read out, On/Off---all perfect.

Huh? WTF?

So my question is are these radios "heat sensitive?" The only thing I can think is that the internal temp on the car was the only variable. I did replace the EDM a couple of years ago and what a PITA that project was.

What am I missing?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022   #2
billschroeder5842

Default Re: Is the Bose Gold system heat sensitive?

Oh and BTW, it did it again. I left the car in the parking garage at work and checked it on the wat home. All messed up on initial start; antennae up, no read outs, no channels, no clock....etc. and after 10 minutes of warming with the interior heat on 90 everything worked as it should. Makes me think that the power antennae relay or interior light delay is FUBAR?

I made two stops on the way home and the radio worked as it should with no issues. All stop and start cycles worked as they should. Would that rule out a relay at that point?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 02-08-2022   #3
secondchance

This is very interesting. I?m having a same issue except I have Pioneer AVIC Z140. I suspected relay that sends power to amps and antennae and tried another relay but stayed the same. I?m going to check wiring and see connector locations and check for poor connection. Also, replacement relay, just because it?s new, doesn?t mean it was good. Mine works fine in spring, summer and fall and acts up when the temp drops to 45 or so. Seems blue lead that goes to the relay seems to be the issue.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022   #4
Corvette95

The factory stereo is NOT heat sensitive in my 30+ years of C4 experience. Sounds like both head unit and CDM needs a refresh. While Dr. Don is the best, for the last 10 years or so, I have been using United Radio in NY. They will provide you with a shipping label TO them and shipping back and prices are significantly lower. I usually send the entire system to them. They will test and give you estimate prior to repair and items that are working are no charge.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022   #5
billschroeder5842

So the plot thickens...

Just fooling around and trying different ideas, I tried something.

The car was "cold" sitting in my garage when I took my dogs (two super cute German shepherds) for their evening walk. I jumped in the car, twisted the key "back" into accessory and all the nonsense began again. Antenna up, no music, lights on but no read out... the usual.

I left the key on and did my 15 minute walk. When I got back, everything was in order. Lights on, read outs working, music played, antenna up/down as it should.

So, ambient heat was not a factor this time? Any idea on what is going on?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 02-10-2022   #6
Matt B

Given the experiences I had with my ZR Bose Gold I bet your CDM is faulty as already indicated by Corvette95. It controls all functions you describe as being faulty.
Heat sensitive no, or at least not in general. But it's likely that some of the electrical components (most likely the famous capacitors) are so close to the end of their live that temperature changes key parameters from working to not working and vice versa. Temperature has an influence on the efficiency and parameters of electrical circuits.
One of my Bose amps starts failing after some time of operation, i.e. when it heats up it fails.

Long story short: enjoy the fun of extracting the CDM and have it rebuilt. You won't regret it.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022   #7
MA2008

I've never had such an issue with a stereo, no matter the temperature. It has to be something else. Head unit and perhaps CDM have to be checked, because temperature has nothing to do with this. Let us know what you will find out.
MA2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022   #8
Corvette95

With what you have going on....I am going to beat a dead horse but..you and every ZR-1 owners need a FSM (Factory Service Manual) . Guessing on problems tend to create more problems. You will have something come up in the future that you will also need a FSM for. I still think CDM, but test it. Removing the 90-93 CDM is a pain. The later cars it is a less than 5 minute job.
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022   #9
Young1

I agree with MattB. Extracting the CDM is a memorable event. One of the largest PIA in 45 years of repairing my own vehicles. I use Factory Car Stereo Repair in central FL. Bob has a you tube video on how to get that booger out. Last time I took everything to him and had him check it all including amps.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022   #10
bowtiguy

Factory Car stereo repair out of Florida will rebuild your entire system for around $700. They were closed last summer so I had Dr. Dons do my 2nd system, they charged $1100. I'm pulling my brothers system out of his 91' in May, its going back to Bob at FCSR.

https://carstereohelp.com/
bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote