ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-20-2021   #1
Matt B

Default Checked my injectors today and...

they appear to be great! I measured the resistance following Marc's guide. Unfortunately it was merely 30 degree outside but all 16 showed readings between 11.8 and 12.1 ohm. Not sure if that result holds true once the engine is hot but I can't test a hot engine at the moment. So, fairly okay results for the time being I would say.

Her injectors were replaced back in 2010 (according to Carfax) by a Chevrolet dealership. So I assume they used stock injectors replacement. However as she was only driven 1000 miles since then the fuel apparently has not caused major damage.

After the decomposed left cat insert this is good news!

Does anyone know whether GM maybe used the later version to replace worn early injectors?
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Checked my injectors today and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
they appear to be great! I measured the resistance following Marc's guide. Unfortunately it was merely 30 degree outside but all 16 showed readings between 11.8 and 12.1 ohm. Not sure if that result holds true once the engine is hot but I can't test a hot engine at the moment. So, fairly okay results for the time being I would say.

Her injectors were replaced back in 2010 (according to Carfax) by a Chevrolet dealership. So I assume they used stock injectors replacement. However as she was only driven 1000 miles since then the fuel apparently has not caused major damage.

After the decomposed left cat insert this is good news!

Does anyone know whether GM maybe used the later version to replace worn early injectors?
I wouldn?t put too much faith in later OEM injectors either. My 94 injectors went bad before I bought it. Took me 9 years to figure out why she wasn?t running quite right.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021   #3
wfot

I have full set of ACCEL injectors for sale. just drop them in. all 16, 8 have the secondary tabs removed already, they are 21lb, have about 5,000 miles on them. $500.00 here is the link:

https://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32652

thanks John
wfot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021   #4
XfireZ51

Test the injectors using a heat soak. Run the motor to operating temps(preferably driven)then shut engine off. Allow heat soak for 30min. then check resistance. See if u get something different.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Test the injectors using a heat soak. Run the motor to operating temps(preferably driven)then shut engine off. Allow heat soak for 30min. then check resistance. See if u get something different.
Yup! Heat soaking to ferret out an electrical windings issue is NOT unique to injectors either! Coils of all sorts often fail once they are heated up. In my personal experience: ignition coils, injectors, generators, amplidynes (there's a device ya don't often see!), etc. ALL have demonstrated failure, but only AFTER heat soaking.
(The insulation of the coil windings breaks down with age and heat cycles. The windings flex, i.e., the coil wire loops expand and contract and scrub against each other until the insulation sloughs off and the wire loops begin shorting. This is why the resistance goes down when the (injectors) are heated - the path trough the coil wire loops is shorted and thus less wire traveled = less resistance! Just some trivia I learned under duress, back in my gun and missile fire control dayz!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021   #6
1991 Corvette ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
I wouldn?t put too much faith in later OEM injectors either. My 94 injectors went bad before I bought it. Took me 9 years to figure out why she wasn?t running quite right.
Oof! That?s rough. Marc?s method for checking the injectors was great. I ended up sending him some beer money for that one once it helped me find a bad injector. Mine was a double whammy. I also had a bad actuator for my passenger side bank of secondaries. Paul Workman to the rescue on that part.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021   #7
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Corvette ZR-1 View Post
Oof! That?s rough. Marc?s method for checking the injectors was great. I ended up sending him some beer money for that one once it helped me find a bad injector. Mine was a double whammy. I also had a bad actuator for my passenger side bank of secondaries. Paul Workman to the rescue on that part.
Always glad to hear how our great long time members help out. One of the special things about this group. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021   #8
Matt B

Thanks all for your answers. Currently I can't start the engine as Phil's replacement cam sensor it still traveling . But will follow the advise and test it hot asap.
Thanks also for offering the Accel injectors. I tend to get a FIC set from Jerry, maybe also stock them as spare reserve. Might come in handy one day.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021   #9
ZR2

I replaced all 16 injectors on a previous 91 I had and did it with the FIC injectors and couldnt have been happier. Straight drop in, A few years ago I tripped across a 94 that needed saving. Since in my youth I hurt a few cars I am trying to save cars instead. The 94 developed a mis last summer, so as the saying goes while in there. I replaced the injectors with a fresh set of FIC ones. They are a quality piece from what my limited experience can tell.
ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote