Old 07-30-2019   #21
Z51JEFF

Default Re: What would you do?

Ain’t no ride like a loooooooow ride!
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019   #22
ZWILD1

My first Z also a 91 had headers and the big 3" B&B early free flowing exhaust system and mufflers. Along with the 4.10 gears. I liked how it drove and felt. My current car has more power making 528 at the crank and almost 450 at the wheels thanks to Marc Haibeck. I wonder if the gears would be better used in this car. As far as the coil overs go. The biggest advantage I see is in lowering the car. From my understanding better handing comes from the transverse leaf and using stiff ones.

I know that you can lower your car with the stock springs but you can't easily put it back up or down. I have to say that I was impressed with how the car handled at the BG HPDI this year. I think the cars look better lowered. I'm sticking with stock wheel for now as I just bought a nice set of the painted 95 ZR1 painted A-molds from a fellow member. I never pushed my first car to find out top speed with the 4.10's but I did have occasion to go over 155 mph. I just don't want to spend money and then hate the outcome.

Freshly installed painted A-molds. The chrome rear A-molds were showing some pitting in the center recessed lug area. Like they all do over time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZR10134AMOLDS.jpg (163.9 KB, 21 views)
91 Turquoise Metallic Haibeck 525 #0134
ZWILD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019   #23
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
Where do you guys purchase the 4.10 gear set? Is it the Viper gears?
I have a Dana 4.09 gear that came with the car.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019   #24
Hib Halverson

4.09/4.10 axle

Great for drag racers with sticky tires. Ok for easy street driving.

No so great for aggressive street drivers unless you have sticky tires. Otherwise first gear is pretty useless.

More shifting on the street.

Top speed will be less because you're out of rpm in fifth and even with the 4.09/4.10 gears sixth is still to tall.

Coil overs

Depends on the particular coil over kit and how much work you want to do. Some coil over kits actually reduce travel compared with stock. If you then lower the car below stock, you might look cool but you end up with inadequate suspension travel which makes the car handle and ride poorly

Even if you go to coil overs, they don't work very well unless you select the correct wheel rates and know how to properly set up the system.

I agree with those here who have said in most cases coil overs won't improve handing all that much.

My advice is to stick with the 3.45 axle unless your a drag racer and if you want better handling, rather than coil overs, put stock, late C4 Z51/Z07 springs and bars on the car along with better tires and an aggressive alignment.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019   #25
Young1

Spend your money on sticky great tires and great brake pads. You will gain a huge amount of confidence in what the car can do. Lowering it a bit with longer bolts and shims is cheap too. Coil overs will not make up for sub par tires.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019   #26
ZWILD1

I have the Michelin PS2's and I changed out the brakes to Porterfield pads. It really worked well at the BG HPDI event. Those PS2's were great. I know some have gone with a bit less gear like a 3.70 ratio. Doesn't seem like many have gone the other way with something shorter than the 4.10's.
91 Turquoise Metallic Haibeck 525 #0134
ZWILD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019   #27
rkreigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Coil over suspension and some type of frame stiffening device. Either the Vette 2 Vette system or a 4 point harness bar from exotic muscle.

There is a night and day difference in the quality of the car ride.

my 90 drm car had a 4 pt bar in back and that car drove really good

I think both the vet to vet and internal bar and the front camber brace would all be good mods

I like the DRM coil overs but some of the more modern products coming with non fx3 better and lighter shocks is what I would recommend

demps has some good ones that really looked nice.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019   #28
EvanZR1

Having DRM coil-overs now, IF I were to do coil-overs again, I would have gone with something like the Van Steels with the manually double adjustable shocks. DRM coil-overs reusing stock shocks, to me doesn't give enough adjustability. Even in track, the car is still under damped. Makes for a good riding car, and it handles ok, but nothing like what a modern car does, or for that matter, even my old 92 LT1 car that had stiffer rate fiberglass springs and stiffer fixed rate shocks.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote