ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-03-2018   #21
G-Sting

Default Re: Pre-Purchase inspection in OC, CA

OP,

For parts, Jerry's Gaskets (a ZR-1 owner and forum member) has a nice selection and comes highly recommended. You can get an idea of pricing, too, for what needs fixing. e.g.,

http://www.jerrysgaskets.com/fuel-pu...ssy-90-95-15a/

BTW, the original gatorback tires that are on that beauty could easily be sold and likely break even on replacing tires. ...or kept for show or resell.

Nothing like a Porsche Turbo (996 or later) for putting the power down for acceleration. But there's nothing like a ZR-1 for laying an eternal double stripe from a stop (among many other things).

All the best in your endeavor,
G
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by G-Sting; 01-03-2018 at 08:01 AM.
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018   #22
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Car is still a steal at it's current price even with ailments!
Perhaps with it running so poorly, you might be able to get them a bit lower.
Don't get into analysis paralysis, or you may find someone else steps up with a check book and flatbeds it home and fixes a few easy things and ends up with an essentially new 28 year old car for less than half of it's original sticker. It could have sold to the first owner for closer to 100k!
It likely "rolled" across the BJ auction and sold for much more than they are asking now.
Rarely, not impossible, but extremely rare, could there be any significant engine damage to a 300 mile LT-5.
If I didn't have so many here already, I would be all over it at that price.
Just sayin...............
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018   #23
PhillipsLT5

38.5 at B-J, most likely includes 10% fee
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018   #24
Saoirse32

It does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018   #25
Meanmyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Car is still a steal at it's current price even with ailments!
Perhaps with it running so poorly, you might be able to get them a bit lower.
Don't get into analysis paralysis, or you may find someone else steps up with a check book and flatbeds it home and fixes a few easy things and ends up with an essentially new 28 year old car for less than half of it's original sticker. It could have sold to the first owner for closer to 100k!
It likely "rolled" across the BJ auction and sold for much more than they are asking now.
Rarely, not impossible, but extremely rare, could there be any significant engine damage to a 300 mile LT-5.
If I didn't have so many here already, I would be all over it at that price.
Just sayin...............
Marty
I agree with Marty wholeheartedly on this. Just looking at the pics, it looks gorgeous, but I agree that it is a good idea to look at it before buying. Don't get lost in nitpicking or tire kicking or you might lose out. I have read threads over on the other site where some guys go on and on about how you should stay away from low mile cars. Alot of times it is, I think, because they couldn't afford the asking price. And, sometimes it is good that the price is a bit higher...otherwise gems like this wouldnt stay that way very long.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018   #26
lfalzarano

Don’t procrastinate, buy it. We all have run into minor issues with our cars over time and you just address them as they arise. It won’t implode after you buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 01-04-2018   #27
cruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I would more likely assume the Speaker Amps are toast which replacements from Nissan Max (95'-99) are very good and inexpensive replacements and an easy 15 minute job to replace. Nissan Max speaker amps I have gotten for $5 or $6 at Pull Your Parts for example.

Bose Speaker Amp Options TIPS
Since this is a 90 , that solution is not exactly a 15 minute job. The Nissan amp are the newer style, while the 90 Vette's are the older style where the wires are soldered to the board. The amps still work fine, but you'll either have to do some soldering work or splice in the newer wiring connectors.
cruban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018   #28
cruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfalzarano View Post
Don’t procrastinate, buy it. We all have run into minor issues with our cars over time and you just address them as they arise. It won’t implode after you buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
While I would agree with the comment above and it is a good buy, it's only a good buy for the right person. If I could not do the work on the car myself, I might think twice. Paying someone else to correct issues can get expensive quickly, never mind the time involved. I would call and talk to the guys at Corvette Mikes, and get their opinion as well. They are pretty straight shooters. I have purchased very low mileage cars in the past and they all looked fantastic and the idea of it is fabulous but they all needed some TLC, some more than others. Good luck with it
cruban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018   #29
Saoirse32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruban View Post
While I would agree with the comment above and it is a good buy, it's only a good buy for the right person. If I could not do the work on the car myself, I might think twice. Paying someone else to correct issues can get expensive quickly, never mind the time involved. I would call and talk to the guys at Corvette Mikes, and get their opinion as well. They are pretty straight shooters. I have purchased very low mileage cars in the past and they all looked fantastic and the idea of it is fabulous but they all needed some TLC, some more than others. Good luck with it

This sums up how I feel as well. I plan on calling them tomorrow. I know from past cars buying experience that fixes can get pricey very quickly and will forever eat into ones “profits.” Unless something drastically changed during ownership, I’d be buying to drive sparingly and then flip later after some years, assuming I’m correct in these ZR-1s massive potential for uptick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018   #30
Dynomite

Quote:
Since this is a 90 , that solution is not exactly a 15 minute job. The Nissan amp are the newer style, while the 90 Vette's are the older style where the wires are soldered to the board. The amps still work fine, but you'll either have to do some soldering work or splice in the newer wiring connectors.
The link I provided has the details on the wire harness front and rear from Doc Don for $5.....unless one wants to solder

Bose Speaker Amp Options TIPS

Quote:
I concur that it is not only hard to find someone near by to work on the ZR-1 it can also be expensive if an issue arises as in some rare situations. My 95' had an electrical issue under the plenum that kept blowing the INJ1 fuse (car was dead shortly after starting). Now after removing the plenum about five or six times (I have TB Coolant blocked) I finally soldered all original splices on main wire harness behind the drivers side Cam Cover and placed all wiring under plenum in separate split loom red tubing. Now that would have been expensive for sure to pay for labor and diagnostics. Oh.....ya....No More INJ1 fuses blowing

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-04-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote