ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-29-2014   #1
boyking

Default Power antenna source?

Hi,
Does anyone know of a source for an OEM motorized antenna for a 1991 ZR1? None of the big catalogs carry one specific to ZR-1s. Mine has a broken nylon drive cable that winds up on the internal drive motor spool.

If I listen to anything it's CDs, but I want to keep things original.

Thanks for any leads!

Regards,
John
boyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014   #2
gbrtng

Default Re: Power antenna source?

The antenna is used in both base car and ZR-1 ... the repair kit used to be available from Chevy cheaper than the parts houses.
Old 11-30-2014   #3
Marc Haibeck

John,

It's easy to repair the antenna. Remove it from the car, easy except for removing the cable grommet. Remove the tail light to get good access to the tight fitting grommet.

Once the antenna is on the workbench, the spool cover can be removed. Drill out the plastic rivets. Remove the broken antenna tape. Then reinstall the cover with screws.

There's an easy way to install the mast that I learned from Gordon Killebrew. Install the antenna assembly without the mast. Turn the radio on. Straighten out the tape on the new mast. Feed it into the antenna tube until you feel the teeth engage with the spool gear. Then have a helper turn off the radio. The motor will draw in the tape. You will need to quickly guide in the mast on the way down. Don't forget to install the antenna retaining nut before you turn the radio on to test it.
Marc Haibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014   #4
BigJohn

Thats another thing my car does'nt have!!!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014   #5
boyking

Mark,
Thanks for the installation tips. I ordered the tape to repair my broken one. I appreciate your help.

John
Old 12-01-2014   #6
Dynomite

Default Installing New Antennae Mast (ZR-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Haibeck View Post
John,

It's easy to repair the antenna. Remove it from the car, easy except for removing the cable grommet. Remove the tail light to get good access to the tight fitting grommet.

Once the antenna is on the workbench, the spool cover can be removed. Drill out the plastic rivets. Remove the broken antenna tape. Then reinstall the cover with screws.

There's an easy way to install the mast that I learned from Gordon Killebrew. Install the antenna assembly without the mast. Turn the radio on. Straighten out the tape on the new mast. Feed it into the antenna tube until you feel the teeth engage with the spool gear. Then have a helper turn off the radio. The motor will draw in the tape. You will need to quickly guide in the mast on the way down. Don't forget to install the antenna retaining nut before you turn the radio on to test it.
Good Stuff

Thanks Marc and thanks to Gordon Killebrew as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyking View Post
Mark,
Thanks for the installation tips. I ordered the tape to repair my broken one. I appreciate your help.

John
What is the source for the new Antennae Tape/Mast?

Will This Mast work? 1990 Corvette Antennae Mast

Will this Mast work? 5 Section Telescopic Stainless Steel Antenna Mast

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-01-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014   #7
boyking

Hey Dynomite, this is the link Secondchance gave me for the new mast and drive cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-Pow...fe5595&vxp=mtr

Ordered it for $30, came in 3 days, replaced and installed it yesterday and everything works great! He also sent me a link for a NOS entire assembly for $360.00! The replacement I bought is identical to what I had. It was an easy and cheap fix.

Despite what others have stated, I do not believe a non-ZR-1 antenna is the same. You might be able to make it work, but they are not the same. ZR-1 antenna and motor are completely outside the body in the rear fender/wheel-well. Non-ZR-1 antennas are accessed from inside the rear of the car.

Regards, John
Old 12-05-2014   #8
boyking

Previous was a bad link. Try this one. They have 10 available.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370524706197...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And it's not from China!

John
Old 12-05-2014   #9
BigJohn

My 96 and 89 are in the fenderwell.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014   #10
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyking View Post

Despite what others have stated, I do not believe a non-ZR-1 antenna is the same. You might be able to make it work, but they are not the same. ZR-1 antenna and motor are completely outside the body in the rear fender/wheel-well. Non-ZR-1 antennas are accessed from inside the rear of the car.

Regards, John
There are no difference between ZR-1 vs. standard C4 antenna. Difference is between the model years. I don't know which year it was changed but my 91 ZR-1 antenna had an external antenna relay whereas my 94 ZR-1 had an antenna with relay built in internally. If you have wiring diagrams you can fit later antenna to early car. To do the reverse, you will need a relay.
secondchance is online now   Reply With Quote