ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-14-2014   #21
badbob326

Default Re: Why don't they start right up?

I got my 1991 new, the start thing always be there. It seems the longer they sit the longer it takes.
badbob326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #22
Made in USA

Mine starts within 2 seconds tops. After reading the thread about the vapor canister, I just got a new one and am going to change it this weekend. We'll see if it changes anything.
1991 Red/Red #1754
70,000 miles as of 8/2014

:Eagle:
Made in USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #23
badbob326

I also have a 90 DRM 600 it the same with the starting and no canister. It's just a ZR1 thing. Just do not over heat the starter it will be ok.
badbob326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #24
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I've always let the fuel pumps run until they quiet before rolling the starter.

When the 90 has been sitting for a week or more, it's a "Mississippi-one, Mississippi-two, Mississippi-three - aZOOM! But, after running some that day, it seems to fire anywhere between 1-2 seconds, if not before.

Ami's 91 Z, after passing through Pete's Mystery Garage, never seems to wait more than a second - IF THAT - before TURQ MONSTER roars to life.

Worth mentioning? I had a couple backfires on my 90, back when I first got it. But, later I read here to hold the starter ON for about half a second after it starts. Since I've been letting the pumps reach pressure AND holding the starter on a tad after it fires, I've never had a backfire since, IIRC. (Now that I went and said that, just watch it sneeze and blow all the hoses off!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-15-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #25
Hog

Does the LT5 use a "wasted spark" ignition, or an ignition that fires the plug both during the compression stroke AND the exhaust stroke, or whenenever the piston is near TDC?

The reason I ask is because GM's other DOHC V8 the Northstar 4.6 liter V8 did use a "wasted spark" and my 300hp L37 Northstar would also require some extra cranking time before it started, even after letting the intake pump perform its pre programmed cycle when te ekey is in the run position, before turning further to crank the engine.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #26
Fully Vetted

Strangest thing happened yesterday. I went to start it and decided to not wait at all. I just turned the key all the way and BAM! it started immediately. And it had been sitting for several days. Strange...

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #27
8cam

I simply turn the key like a normal car, and mine fires almost instantly...like a normal car. In fact I had no idea there was a "start thing." Most of the time when I hear long start times, I suspect low fuel pressure. My car has had almost all fuel components replaced, and it clearly does not lose fuel pressure for a long time. Maybe this is just something that has happened over time? In any case it does not sound normal.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote