ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-30-2013   #11
LancePearson

Default Re: Thank Goodness for Corvettes!

Nelson, et al, I called the shop who has it to put the battery in and trouble shoot. They can't get it to fail as I have only had two instances in a year and both in the last two months. It may be electrical but it may also be something to do with the clutch switch too. In my case it dawned on me a little bit ago that my size fifteen feet may be the issue so that when I get it back I intend to locate the switch on the clutch and be sure I'm not somehow placing my big feet in such a way to kick the switch. The shop is checking the switch now when I called them. I don't think there is a battery switch like you have but since I'm not the first or original owner it could be. They should see that when they pull the battery. I normally would pull the body panel and put a new battery in but with this issue while it's in the shop I told them to go ahead and put a really good battery in and to do the annual safety inspection a month early while they had it. The TBSS they said this morning they found the right part and it is due in tomorrow but as a backup ordered the parts inside the discontinued part to rebuild it if need be because the new part might not be a perfect fit. They already ordered an aftermarket part which had different attachment points which creates the problem with GM no longer making the part where the front drive shaft from the transfer case on the AWD sends power to the front wheel differential and drive mechanisms. It is the receiver end of the fit the drive shaft splines in. When the splines sheared they also sheared the receiver's splines.
Lance
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #12
Bearly Flying

Lance; Does your solenoid click when you turn the key?

Could be a set of $3.00 contacts could solve the problem.
05 FJR 1300 Yamaha (Long Distance, Sport Touring)
And a whole whack of RC Planes
Bearly Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #13
Dynomite

Default Fixing the No Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePearson View Post
Right now it's going to get a new battery as I don't know the age of the battery that was in it in Atlanta area last Dec. when I bought it and drove it home to Chester, Va. I've looked but not pulled the fender to pull it out.
Lance
You mean pull the side panel besides the battery......remove the top bolt of side panel, remove Torx screws on Fender Well holding side panel, and bottom hidden bolt through slot provided in lower side panel (just loosen and not remove this bolt).

If the battery has good voltage (12.5) there is no need to get a new battery.

Do EXACTLY as -=Jeff=- suggests and install Starter Bypass Relay and next time you have Plenum off.....clean Starter Solenoid contacts with wire brush (wire wheel)

I notice you mention "shop".......kind of hard to explain how to fix when you are not fixing yourself.....but here goes

See item #7 LT5 Added Systems

See Starter, Starter Relay, Wiring Harness, Battery, and Plugs Tricks

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-31-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013   #14
LancePearson

I don't know if the solenoid clicks as I don't remember and the car is in the shop to troubleshoot it. The battery is of uncertain vintage and I want a new one so I know its provenance going forward. we also have state safety inspections here and that's due in a month so I've asked them to do all that, told them to check the clutch switch, the relay in the dash but have not told them of the solenoid contacts. The funny thing is the gauge when it happened showed something like an approx. 10 volts then when time elapsed it showed the normal nearly 13 volts and started perfectly. They have kept the car two days now trying to duplicate it and can't.

Why would the voltage gauge if it is starter solenoid contacts show such little voltage? Does not make sense unless the ecm is kicking some safety strategy in. Unfortunately, I did not have a volt ohmmeter with to check the battery at the time.

Right now once checked with new battery and required annual safety inspection when it gets home I'll listen for the solenoid click and also check to see if my big feet (size fifteen) somehow could be kicking the clutch switch. If need be over the winter I'll pull the plenum but when I do that it will be an opportunity also to put new injectors in, new coil packs and check the starter out completely while open, check any tubing out for resilience, etc. Thanks for the suggestions one and all. Lance
Net Registry #1461

Last edited by LancePearson; 10-31-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2013   #15
LancePearson

dynomite, your photos and info are superb. Looked at the solenoid contacts photo and starter. Nice job all around for technical data. Lance
Net Registry #1461
Old 10-31-2013   #16
LancePearson

Just fyi....got my tbss awd with the 2008 ls2 and 4:10 rear end in it back today. They scrambled around the USA and found the front part to the forward drive shaft whose splines failed and replaced the pieces from connection to the transfer case forward and the receptor piece in the, for lack of a better word, front differential that drives two axles to turn the front wheels. Since the parts are no longer made it was a good job to find them. Assembled and when I picked it up it now works like a brand new suv...better than it did. I bought it with 43000 miles on it to get more power than the straight six 2008 Trailblazer I had with 60,000 miles on it. It always shifted hard from first to second as it worked through the shifts in the auto tranny. The splines probably were failing the whole time from the previous owner hammering it to burn tires. Man, it drives great now. Was not cheap but one hell of a lot cheaper than a new transmission or rebuild and transfer case. Best it's ever been. Next: get the vette home tomorrow then my little fleet of three will be back in business.
Net Registry #1461
Old 11-01-2013   #17
Blownrunner

I suspected the VATS and PASSKEY systems as every other corvette so equipped seems to have an issue. I got new ignition keys and problem went away. I also installed an emergency PASSKEY disable just in case, never had to use it yet.

I was because of my ZR-1 that I am now a AAA member though...
Blownrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #18
LancePearson

Blownrunner...I believe after days in the shop trying to duplicate it that there was something on the little metal piece on the key that changed the resistance and it was 100% the vats system. I did get a new battery put in which I wanted for knowing age and power better on the battery but my conclusion was: 100% VATS. I may take it and get a second key made to carry in my wallet just in case. I have a backup at home now.

Lance
Net Registry #1461