ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-11-2013   #11
vilant

Default Re: Front shock change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
Vilant, I have a service bulletin on the front suspension nut torque specs that indicate a change from 19 ft lbs to 31 ft lbs for the upper front shock retaining nut. Bulletin number 90-297-3C. Corp bulletin number 013301 July of 1990.
Thanks for info, I'll make sure they're still tight when I work on the car again, which will be soon.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #12
Dynomite

Default Re: Actuator Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
When the SRC light was on, and I knew there was a problem with the right front shock, someone told me to first pull the actuator off and check to see if any of the plastic teeth inside the actuator were broken, then second, turn the ignition to "ON" and see if the gear spins (which I had to run around the car to get to the other side, lol). If no broken teeth and gear spun the actuator was OK and the shock was the problem. I'd be lying if I said I knew exactly what it's doing, but my educated guess is it will spin the gear all the way in one direction, then return to whatever the selected setting is. I spun the gear on my shock too. Don't think it matters where it is, but if your unsure, spin it to the middle position and let the actuator do the rest. I don't think it matters what setting it's on either. At least I never took mine off of ""Tour".
Got a new front actuator on Ebay and installed it with shock gear centered. Appears the positon of shock gear makes no difference because the actuator does a self alignment on startup. Got rid of Service Ride Control warning ......it went away immediately and never returned
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #13
DennisC

Nice Job nothing like the feeling of accomplishment and saying I did this, no doubt you saved money by doing it yourself. I'm restoring Carpet in my 93 LT-1, practicing so I can do My ZR-1 is next, a lot of fun a hobby doing a couple hours a day.
DennisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #14
vilant

Wanted to post an update. After pulling my hair out trying to figure why my SRC light was on. Figured it out. The code kept coming up right front shock, but I could see nothing wrong with shock, so I thought it was the actuator. Bought a new one, and still have the code. Finally I noticed the gear on top of the shock was stripped, would just spin round and round. I was able to replace the gear with one from the original shocks that are going out to re-build (actually just sent them out this week). I asked Bilstein to if they could sell me a few extra gears just in case. He asked why, I explained, and apparently it is important the gear on the shock be in the "open" position when putting your actuator on. Here's his response to our talking "Basically on your application the actuator rotates 160º as well as the adjuster on the damper. Shocks are always shipped with the adjuster rotated clock wise to the open position. It’s my understanding that the control module is regulated by the MPH and at slower speeds the actuator sets the damper to the open position. If the damper was not at the open position or if the actuator did not reset to the open position when the shock was installed then the actuator would have over rotated the gear.
This is for a 1990 not sure about the later years, but I think it still applies. So, make sure it is clockwise or you'll strip out your gear like me.
Old 01-10-2014   #15
365gtb4

Joe, how many miles on your car? I have 23k on mine and the shocks seem to be working fine.
365gtb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #16
mike100

What is the deal with the fat stud on the top of the new shock- a bushing they ship it with?

mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014   #17
Schrade

Good job photo-doc'ing the work!

Keep the pics coming for study there...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014   #18
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365gtb4 View Post
Joe, how many miles on your car? I have 23k on mine and the shocks seem to be working fine.
34K. Brand new replacement shocks are a year old, accidentally spun the gear and didn't know which way it was. Didn't think it mattered, but apparently it does.
Old 01-11-2014   #19
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
What is the deal with the fat stud on the top of the new shock- a bushing they ship it with?
If I remember correctly its a new sleeve for where the shock passes through the upper rubber bushing.
Old 01-11-2014   #20
vilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Good job photo-doc'ing the work!

Keep the pics coming for study there...
Thanks. Here's a pic just for you The stripped gear is on the right. See how the metal tab that stops the gear from spinning all the way around is shaved down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131128_114949_379.jpg (87.5 KB, 52 views)